Page Access Restriction

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Prabhat, May 1, 2006.

  1. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    Prabhat, May 1, 2006

  2. something like www.aspprotect.com maybe, or you can do it on your own as
    well
    are you talking about password protecting certain pages...

    Kyle Peterson, May 1, 2006

  3. ahh opps.. misread question, sorry

    you can check the server variables for the domain in question and allow or
    not allow access based on the one the person is viewing the site with

    Kyle Peterson, May 1, 2006
  4. Prabhat

    Prabhat Guest

    "Kyle Peterson" <> wrote in message
    > ahh opps.. misread question, sorry
    >
    > you can check the server variables for the domain in question and allow or
    > not allow access based on the one the person is viewing the site with

    Can you post one small code fragment of that server veriables check please.

    Prabhat

    Prabhat, May 1, 2006
  5. Prabhat

    Evertjan. Guest

    Prabhat wrote on 01 mei 2006 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > Suppose I have one website www.mywebsite.com and I have one page in
    > this site as "myrestrictedpage.asp".
    >
    > The page "myrestrictedpage.asp" should NOT be accesible from the
    > hosted website (www.mywebsite.com) instead of that the page can only
    > be accessible only from :
    > 1) www.OtherWeb1.com/welcomeuser.asp
    > 2) www.OtherWeb5.com/

    [1]
    You can do this rather safe by having the second server have an asp file,
    that datamines the rendered html[+clientside script] from a secretly
    named file on server 1.

    See <http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2173>
    How do I read the contents of a remote web page?

    As an extra measure the secret file could be restricted by

    if request.servervariables("remote_addr") <> "IPofFirstServer" then
    response.end
    end if

    ==============

    [2]
    Or you can do this by redirecting the client's browser to the then
    nonsecret file on server 1, where that latter file checks the referrer.

    if Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER") <> "123.456.789.123" then
    server.transfer "/404.asp"
    then

    This referrer [mind the double rr and single r bug in ASP] business is
    not absolutely safe, I think.

    ==============

    [3]
    Working with passwords that go through the client is futile securitywize,
    unless you use one-time passwords generated by one of the servers and
    requested directly by the other, like in [1].
    The generated password can be stored in an application variable and
    destroyed upon first request. A collision with two near simultaneous
    request is possible.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.