Page asking for domain logon

Jason

Hi all

I have a aspx page that loads just fine. everything looks fine when the page
is loaded, but as soon as i click a LinkButton I get a windows domain logon
dialog box. even if i try enter a valid username and password it does not
accept.

the aspx page accesses a SQL 2000 database, but uses a SQLusername to
authenticate. I am using Windows Authentication, but not to authenticate
against the database. the SQL connection string is constant throughout and
it is using a SQL Username.

this is happening at a client, i have tried and am still trying, to recreate
the problem back "home", but the page works perfectly here.

the web server is a windows 2003 standard installation..

Is this enough info?

Thanks
Jason

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

HI Jason
Guess ur Client IIS is on a Domain!
And the IIS is set to use Windows Auth..
Patrick

Peter Chadwick (MCP)

Hi,

It sounds like a page access error rather than database connectivity.

Where is the LinkButton linking to? Is it a page in a different folder
or sub folder? Perhaps that folder has different access permissions?
Has the user your client is using got access to this file or folder?

When you say you have tried it at "home", do you mean back where the
server is? Is this within the domain? Perhaps it would be worth trying
from another external location.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but it certainly sounds like permissions
on the webpage.

Regards,

Peter Chadwick (MCP)
(e-mail address removed)

Jason

LinkButton is not linking to anything. it is doing the following

dg.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex;
dg.DataBind();

lblStatus.Text = "Editing ...";

Thats it.

"Home" i mean developer house. this is a web app operating on an intranet.
so clients will have their own web server with an installation of this app.
The user, we were testing as, at the client, is a domain administrator.
presumably he has access to EVERYTHING in that domain.
it is the same domain...

Jason

Yes, it is Window Authenticated. this is how we want it.
It is an Intranet web application, and Internet Explorer is set to logon
automatically with current username and password in intranet zone.

what i dont understand, is that the domain logon dialog box appears when you
click on a hyperlink, AFTER the page has loaded. Hyperlink does not redirect
(see other post)

bruce barker

check if their proxy/firewall supports windows authenication, many do not
(even msproxy if not setup for it).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| LinkButton is not linking to anything. it is doing the following
|
| dg.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex;
| dg.DataBind();
|
| lblStatus.Text = "Editing ...";
|
| Thats it.
|
| "Home" i mean developer house. this is a web app operating on an intranet.
| so clients will have their own web server with an installation of this
app.
| The user, we were testing as, at the client, is a domain administrator.
| presumably he has access to EVERYTHING in that domain.
| it is the same domain...
|
| | > Hi,
| >
| > It sounds like a page access error rather than database connectivity.
| >
| > Where is the LinkButton linking to? Is it a page in a different folder
| > or sub folder? Perhaps that folder has different access permissions?
| > Has the user your client is using got access to this file or folder?
| >
| > When you say you have tried it at "home", do you mean back where the
| > server is? Is this within the domain? Perhaps it would be worth trying
| > from another external location.
| >
| > Sorry I can't be of more help, but it certainly sounds like permissions
| > on the webpage.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Peter Chadwick (MCP)
| > (e-mail address removed)

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Jason,
As Bruce suggested
maybe u have proxy..and it foesn't support it.
Another thing is that is Basic Auth checked together with Integrated Win
Auth?
If Basic Auth is checked then Edit and add the DOMAIN.
Hope this helps
Patrick