Page caching half-way-house conundrum...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. Hi folks, I'm using C#, ASP.net and the .Net Framework 1.1 with VS 2003.

    A quick overview of what I'm trying to do:
    I have a windows authentication using Intranet application that has manager
    names in a dropdown. A manager opens their browser clicks on the right
    bookmark and and can choose their own name and then proceed to see their
    portfolio of clients.
    The reality is though that a there isn't a one-to-one mapping between people
    in the real world and the logical manager name. A manager has assistants and
    more than one of them may log on, choose their manager's name and then view
    the portfolio.

    the problem
    I wish to cache the page output so that if more than one assistant chooses
    their same manager the pages will be cached, but I can't rely on the whole
    page being cached because I show who is logged into the application in a
    little <div> at the top left side of the page, in other words if I didn't
    want to show who is logged in I could just cache the entire page and that
    would be a simple directive, but I somehow want to cache the data 'per
    manager' chosen and still be able to show who is logged in..
    I have a sense that I may need to use .ascx user controls for the data etc..
    or play around with the 'vary by' clauses

    any thoughts?, any articles?

    Regards and many thanks in advance
    CharlesA
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Jul 17, 2006

  2. Just put the stuff you want cached in an UserControl and cache it.

    Karl

    --
    http://www.openmymind.net/
    http://www.codebetter.com/