Page Caching?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John M, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. John M

    John M Guest

    Hi,

    I have inherited the maintenance of an application written for ASP.Net that
    uses an IHTTPModule class to log requests for .htm web pages to a database.
    On our LAN the web app functions properly.

    Once deployed to our client, the web app does not function properly. In some
    cases
    (pages affected differ between different browsers at different locations) ,
    requests do not make it to the web server. Pages are received by browsers
    (external to
    the client's LAN) but a request is never received by the IHTTPModule class.
    It appears
    caching is occuring somewhere. We have tried emptying the browser caches but
    we get the same results.

    What could be causing this? IIS? ASP.Net? Some unknown proxy server sitting
    somewhere?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    John

    John M, Nov 23, 2003

  2. John M

    L. L. Guest

    John,

    When you are talking about different browsers, do you mean IE and Netscape?
    I suggest all users use IE.

    L.L.

    ,

    L. L., Nov 23, 2003

  3. John M

    Raj Guest

    Well I guess the HTM pages are not handled by ASP.NET
    engine .. register the .htm Extension with aspnet ISAPI .

    HTH
    Raj

    Raj, Nov 24, 2003
  4. John M

    John M Guest

    It turned out to be the cache-control settings. It appears the default for
    ..HTM is public. To fix, we changed it to no-cache.

    The settings only affected us because there was an ISA server sitting in
    front of the webserver that was caching outgoing pages. So requests were not
    hitting the web server.

    Since we have no such server in our development environmet, we were unable
    to reproduce the symptoms in our own testing. I was able to discover the
    problem by using a tool to view the http content headers when requesting a
    page from the production site.

    John M, Dec 2, 2003