    <input name="NewAccount" type="button" id="7" value="Register"
    onClick="document.frmLogin.action='https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp';
    document.frmLogin.submit()" style="width:130">

    shank, Jul 25, 2003

  2. shank

    rf Guest

    "shank" <> wrote in message
    news:Yv%Ta.151478$...
    > I have a login page where a new user can click on a Register button

    (below)
    > to get to a newaccount.asp page. This has been working without a problem

    for
    > many months. All of a sudden, I have a new customer that clicks the button
    > and she gets "page cannot be found". She has a new computer with IE 6.0 on
    > comcast.net cable modem. While I'm on the phone with her, I get the page

    and
    > she doesn't. Why? What's wrong with the code? We register many users each
    > day.
    >
    > Note: If the user puts the address:

    https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp
    > in her address bar - she gets the page.

    I get a 404 in IE6 and a timed out in Mozilla.

    tracert times out just after this:
    csr11-ve243.Tukwilase2.cw.net [216.34.64.147]

    BTW this is from Australia.

    Methinks IE6 is misrepresenting a timeout as a 404.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 25, 2003

  3. shank

    brucie Guest

    In post <vD%Ta.13407$>
    rf said...

    >> Note: If the user puts the address:

    > https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp
    >> in her address bar - she gets the page.

    > I get a 404 in IE6 and a timed out in Mozilla.

    i think the OP just made up the domain name instead of using the
    accepted 'example.com' which makes it hard to determine what the
    problems is without a URI.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 25/July/2003 11:26:21 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jul 25, 2003
  4. shank

    rf Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In post <vD%Ta.13407$>
    > rf said...
    >
    > >> Note: If the user puts the address:

    > > https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp
    > >> in her address bar - she gets the page.

    > > I get a 404 in IE6 and a timed out in Mozilla.

    > i think the OP just made up the domain name instead of using the
    > accepted 'example.com' which makes it hard to determine what the
    > problems is without a URI.

    I think your'e right. So much for my trying to help then :-(

    How could we possibly tell what is wrong from such a small snippit of code?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 25, 2003
  5. rf wrote:
    > "brucie" <> wrote in message
    >> In post <vD%Ta.13407$>
    >> rf said...

    >>> https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp

    >>> I get a 404 in IE6 and a timed out in Mozilla.

    >> i think the OP just made up the domain name ...

    > I think your'e right. So much for my trying to help then :-(
    >
    > How could we possibly tell what is wrong from such a small snippit of
    > code?

    crystal ball broken? here, borrow mine - I can't get it to work today
    anyway.

    --
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jul 25, 2003
  6. shank

    rf Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    > > "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > >> In post <vD%Ta.13407$>
    > >> rf said...

    > >> i think the OP just made up the domain name ...

    > > I think your'e right. So much for my trying to help then :-(
    > >
    > > How could we possibly tell what is wrong from such a small snippit of
    > > code?

    > crystal ball broken? here, borrow mine - I can't get it to work today
    > anyway.

    Hey, thanks William. All becomes clear now. Brucie was correct twice today
    :)

    The user has javascript disabled and the forms action points to somewhere
    like "rubbish". Without javascript the input fields on click event never
    fires, the user presses enter and the browsers default of submitting the
    form kicks in, still pointing to "rubbish". This will be confirmed when the
    user tells us that the url for the 404 is, in fact,
    http://www.mydomain.com/rubbish. Whether or not there is a submit button on
    the form may not matter.

    A perfect example of the wisdom of assigning mission critical functions
    (like getting new clients) to client side scripting.

    How close to the truth am I shank?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 25, 2003