Page ceases to respond after 30 min. in IE

Rob Allen

Hello,

I am dumbfounded by this. I have a form where a user enters text for an
event which is posted to a database on submit. The form is not running a
script and is not necessarily part of a session. The page where you
enter data is .asp in name only (it loads shared header and footer
files).

After about 30 minutes, when the user clicks the submit button, nothing
appears to happen. The page sits there in front of you. Text can still
be added to the fields, the button press animation occurs, but there is
noone home.

Weirder (?) still is that this only seems to occur in Internet Explorer.
Timed trials in FireFox have the form still functioning well after the
45 minute mark.

My customer is obivously upset that his form does not function.

Any ideas???

--Rob--

kaeli

Weirder (?) still is that this only seems to occur in Internet Explorer.
Timed trials in FireFox have the form still functioning well after the
45 minute mark.

My customer is obivously upset that his form does not function.

Any ideas???

Got URL?
And MSIE what (IE5? IE6?)? On what platform (win2k? winxp sp2?)?
Have you trialed this on other computers with MSIE? It might be something
with his specific settings or some oddness with a service pack.

Rob Allen

Thanks for your response.

I should have been more specific. The browser is MSIE 6 on WinXP w/ SP2.
It is also occuring on my customer's machine which is of unknown OS,
presumably XP home.

I have found articles since my initial post which indicate that a
default cookie value set by IE regardless of server settings is
preventing my form from performing any actions after 30 minutes as a
security feature.

See
[link]http://forums.databasejournal.com/showthread.php?threadid=38670[/l
ink] for example.

This article
[link]http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/05/ASPSec2/default.asp
x[/link] on MSDN explains whats going on. They also give a VB fix and a
server side fix. However, I do not have access to the server on that
level and I do not understand the VB code well enough to modify it for
what I need.

If anyone else has had experiance with a workaround, advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Rob

kaeli

[email protected] enlightened said:
I have found articles since my initial post which indicate that a
default cookie value set by IE regardless of server settings is
preventing my form from performing any actions after 30 minutes as a
security feature.
Interesting.

This article
[link]http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/05/ASPSec2/default.asp
x[/link] on MSDN explains whats going on. They also give a VB fix

I didn't see a client-side VB fix.
Looked for:
<script type="text/vbscript">
or
and a
server side fix. However, I do not have access to the server on that
level and I do not understand the VB code well enough to modify it for
what I need.

I do VB, VBScript, and a bit of C#.net.
What do you need to modify?
I didn't see any vbscript (client-side) on that link specifically, but I just
skimmed it.
Is your app .net?

Rob Allen

No, my app is just scripting not .net. This page does not even run a
script - its simply a form that posts to a page which runs the scripts.

A client-side override is exactly what I am looking for though.

--Rob--

kaeli

[email protected] enlightened said:
No, my app is just scripting not .net. This page does not even run a
script - its simply a form that posts to a page which runs the scripts.

A client-side override is exactly what I am looking for though.

You mentioned a script that you couldn't modify.
Where is that script and what do you need to modify it to do?

~kaeli~
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is
serious.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli

[email protected] enlightened said:
No, my app is just scripting not .net. This page does not even run a
script - its simply a form that posts to a page which runs the scripts.

A client-side override is exactly what I am looking for though.

One other thing: this seems to only be a problem when using authentication.
Does your app use authentication?
Do you have control over the page being posted TO?