Page Critique

sorry.no.email

Hi,

Could I have some thoughts on this (so far) single page:

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/

It is a somewhat self-indulgent project and I am not too sure of the
ethics of borrowing so heavily (even if acknowledged) from the 2 sites
credited at the top of the page?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Andrew.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, sorry.no.email@post_NG.com vouchsafed:
Hi,

Could I have some thoughts on this (so far) single page:

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/

It is a somewhat self-indulgent project and I am not too sure of the
ethics of borrowing so heavily (even if acknowledged) from the 2 sites
credited at the top of the page?

Thanks for any thoughts,

I think it's great! If you keep following the same good procedures as the
site grows, it can hardly go wrong.

cwdjrxyz

Hi,

Could I have some thoughts on this (so far) single page:

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/

It is a somewhat self-indulgent project and I am not too sure of the
ethics of borrowing so heavily (even if acknowledged) from the 2 sites
credited at the top of the page?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Your page completely validates as html 4.01 strict and CSS at the W3C
validators. I could name many pages from the sites of huge companies
that do not do that. Keep up the good work.

Jim Moe

Could I have some thoughts on this (so far) single page:

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/

It is a somewhat self-indulgent project and I am not too sure of the
ethics of borrowing so heavily (even if acknowledged) from the 2 sites
credited at the top of the page?
The middle section which describe what's available, makes what's
available more difficult to understand than it should be. A list would be
more appropriate than a paragraph.

dorayme

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/

It is a somewhat self-indulgent project and I am not too sure of the
ethics of borrowing so heavily (even if acknowledged) from the 2 sites
credited at the top of the page?
The middle section which describe what's available, makes what's
available more difficult to understand than it should be. A list would be
more appropriate than a paragraph.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. It is fine as it is in this respect: there is very
little info to absorb, list would just take up more vertical
space.

Keep up simple as much as possible. You might max-width this
particular content so it is easier to read, at least on modern
browsers on big screens.

verity

Hi,

Could I have some thoughts on this (so far) single page:

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/

It is a somewhat self-indulgent project and I am not too sure of the
ethics of borrowing so heavily (even if acknowledged) from the 2 sites
credited at the top of the page?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew, I liked your homepage, simple & explained the ethos &
content of your site to me.
Like your colour schemes & loved the TRex. Can't comment on technical
stuff, I'm a novice. Verity.

sorry.no.email

Hi Andrew, I liked your homepage, simple & explained the ethos &
content of your site to me.
Like your colour schemes & loved the TRex. Can't comment on technical
stuff, I'm a novice. Verity.

Hi Verity,

Thanks for that! I have to admit though that the colour scheme you
admired has been borrowed straight from the site credited at the top
of the page:

http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/

I like to believe that I am improving on this look slightly (the nms
site is a little old) but the colour scheme is from this site intact.

BTW I am very much a novice myself :)

Andrew.

sorry.no.email

The middle section which describe what's available, makes what's
available more difficult to understand than it should be. A list would be
more appropriate than a paragraph.

I disagree. It is fine as it is in this respect: there is very
little info to absorb, list would just take up more vertical
space.

Keep up simple as much as possible. You might max-width this
particular content so it is easier to read, at least on modern
browsers on big screens.[/QUOTE]

Hi Dorayme,

Thanks for these comments. I will add max-width, I assume you mean to
the paragraph text? I am not prepared to add the hacks to get this to
work in IE6 which I understand ignores max-width:

http://www.svendtofte.com/code/max_width_in_ie/

Definitely the plan is to keep simple, I would prefer to do simple
well rather than complex badly :)

Thanks again for your assistance,

Andrew.

sorry.no.email

To further the education of mankind, sorry.no.email@post_NG.com vouchsafed:

I think it's great! If you keep following the same good procedures as the
site grows, it can hardly go wrong.

Hi Neredbojias,

Thanks for your comments! Mind you I have just had a look at your own
site and I feel a little humbled. That is the biggest and most well
structured set of image / sound libraries I have ever seen!

I saved a copy of one page to hopefully learn how you structured the
images like that, I am used to seeing that only done with tables, and
rarely with a fluid page.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

dorayme

Hi Dorayme,

Thanks for these comments. I will add max-width, I assume you mean to
the paragraph text? I am not prepared to add the hacks to get this to
work in IE6 which I understand ignores max-width:

http://www.svendtofte.com/code/max_width_in_ie/

Definitely the plan is to keep simple, I would prefer to do simple
well rather than complex badly :)

Just off the top of my head, re your page, you might be able to
em spec the main wrapper and have a guess, IE would then be tamed
with no hacks or conditionals in respect to the "problem" of over
long horiz lines on big screens.

I was rather surprised that in the link you give (above), I could
not make the lines less wide to suit my taste! Scroll bars came
up! Absurd, given the subject of the page!

I can see why you would not want to emulate his code, looks
awfully messy and not that easy to spot how to let the text wrap
and make it to suit oneself in respect to width. Honestly, I
don't actually know how he achieves this, I should look more
closely perhaps. I mean fancy that eh, here is a solution to over
wide in IE at least but it fails to allow reasonable narrowness.
I realise he is writing about IE and I am viewing in Safari and
Firefox but still...

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, sorry.no.email@post_NG.com
vouchsafed:
Hi Neredbojias,

Thanks for your comments! Mind you I have just had a look at your own
site and I feel a little humbled. That is the biggest and most well
structured set of image / sound libraries I have ever seen!

I saved a copy of one page to hopefully learn how you structured the
images like that, I am used to seeing that only done with tables, and
rarely with a fluid page.

Well thank you very much, I appreciate that.

Actually, _my_ _real_ purpose for the site is to (attempt to) provide
answers for a lot of the questions, particularly on css, that arise here.
I've discovered that I'm rather lousy at describing in a well-documented
manner the techniques employed for the effort, but pragmatically I seem to
have more success in the doing. It's really kind of fun wrestling with the
convolutions of the current styles methods in conjunction with the errors
and vagueries of today's browsers, -at least when you are able to
accomplish your goal. And despite my opinion that css is quite an
unwieldly and cumbersome beast, one usually _can_ accomplish one's aims
using it if he/she is persistent enough.

Tables may be simpler, but they are not better, not at all.

Travis Newbury

cwdjrxyz said:
Your page completely validates as html 4.01 strict and CSS at the W3C
validators. I could name many pages from the sites of huge companies
that do not do that. Keep up the good work.

That is because any company that had a site this bland is out of
business.

Andrew

That is because any company that had a site this bland is out of
business.

Hi Travis,

Thanks for the comment :) What you say is totally true, a company
would not travel far with such a site. But of course my aim is not to
produce a site for such a company, and I do not have those skills.

<serious stuff>
My aim is to produce a small, personal site purely as a hobby. I aim
to learn a lot about HTML/CSS/W3C etc while doing it and meet some
interesting people online while doing it. Maybe I can eventually make
a useful contribution to the online world, I hope so. This definitely
takes a back seat to my 'day job' but it is a fascinating part of my
life.
</serious stuff>

Anyway thanks for your comment,

Andrew Strong.

Jonathan N. Little

Andrew said:
Hi Travis,

Thanks for the comment :) What you say is totally true, a company
would not travel far with such a site. But of course my aim is not to
produce a site for such a company, and I do not have those skills.

<serious stuff>
My aim is to produce a small, personal site purely as a hobby. I aim
to learn a lot about HTML/CSS/W3C etc while doing it and meet some
interesting people online while doing it. Maybe I can eventually make
a useful contribution to the online world, I hope so. This definitely
takes a back seat to my 'day job' but it is a fascinating part of my
life.
</serious stuff>

Good goal. I agree with you, learn the craft and proper markup and the
creativity can follow when your master your tools. As an artist this is
a tried and true process of Academy style of training. The alternate
method is where students are handed the paint and palette without any
instruction. Then maybe by accident they *may* produce something of
value only to have it disintegrate because they hadn't a clue how to
properly prepare a canvas. IMO this is not a good way to learn. I
subscribe to the school that one should learn their craft first and if
they have any talent the creativity will naturally follow.

Travis Newbury

Andrew said:
Hi Travis,

Thanks for the comment :) What you say is totally true, a company
would not travel far with such a site. But of course my aim is not to
produce a site for such a company, and I do not have those skills.

Please do not get me wrong, that was not a comment about your site, but
more a comment about the relationship of big companies and the "NEED"
for validation.

dorayme

Andrew said:
Hi Travis,

Thanks for the comment :) What you say is totally true...

Anyway thanks for your comment,

Ah c'mon Andrew admit it, you really want to tear his throat
out...

verity

dorayme said:
Ah c'mon Andrew admit it, you really want to tear his throat
out...

No, I think Andrew sounds like a very polite person; I might have not
been so gracious ;)

verity

Hi Verity,

Thanks for that! I have to admit though that the colour scheme you
admired has been borrowed straight from the site credited at the top
of the page:

http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/

I like to believe that I am improving on this look slightly (the nms
site is a little old) but the colour scheme is from this site intact.

BTW I am very much a novice myself :)

Andrew.

Good fun though.