page desing....

Discussion in 'HTML' started by a6s0lu7, Nov 27, 2004.

  1. a6s0lu7

    a6s0lu7 Guest

    Hello everyone.
    Im helping some people redesign a web page, and in order to try to
    make it more "light" i thought i could use some frames in the new
    design.

    However i would like to know ur opinion about other ways to try to
    make less heavy.
    The real problem is that when some one visits the site it normally has
    to download every content of it, but when u simply try to open other
    link in it, the page simply "re-donwloads" every content from the
    server, its like im opening the page for the first time. So i thought
    i could put the links on a left frame, the page title on the a top
    frame, because they are static information and wont change as you
    navigate the page, and put the "dynamic" content in other frame.

    I already have came across several problems with the use of frames,
    and im wondering if there is other way of doing this?

    if there is not, maybe u could tell if it is possible to make a scroll
    bar for the entire page, im mean, top and left frame wont have scroll
    bars, but main frame must have, is there any way to sroll the ENTIRE
    page?
    imagine u have a table design where u have a header, and 2 columns, we
    can scroll donw the page, meaning the title will disapear, is it
    possible to do this with frames??
    im sorry if i wasnt very explicit with this last one, any question u
    have ill try to explain it better.

    thanks in advance,
    cheers,
    Bruno P.
    a6s0lu7, Nov 27, 2004

  2. a6s0lu7

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On 27 Nov 2004 04:50:22 -0800, (a6s0lu7)
    wrote:

    >Im helping some people redesign a web page, and in order to try to
    >make it more "light" i thought i could use some frames in the new
    >design.

    Oh dear.

    >However i would like to know ur opinion about other ways to try to
    >make less heavy.

    Optimise the graphics.
    Use CSS for all the presentation.
    Place all CSS and JavaScript (if any) in separate files rather than in
    the HTML pages.
    Don't put too much content (especially graphic rich content) on a
    single page.
    Minimise the use of graphics for navigation and page furniture.
    Make sure that your sending out the correct HTTP headers to encourage
    caching (servers usually do this by default unless you muck things
    up).

    >The real problem is that when some one visits the site it normally has
    >to download every content of it, but when u simply try to open other
    >link in it, the page simply "re-donwloads" every content from the
    >server, its like im opening the page for the first time.

    The only thing it should need to download is the HTML and any graphics
    unique to the new page. CSS, JS and common graphics should be fetched
    from the browser's cache.

    > So i thought
    >i could put the links on a left frame, the page title on the a top
    >frame, because they are static information and wont change as you
    >navigate the page, and put the "dynamic" content in other frame.

    If your navigation and page title are adding more than a couple of kb
    to the page size then you're probably doing them wrong.

    >I already have came across several problems with the use of frames,
    >and im wondering if there is other way of doing this?

    See above.

    >if there is not, maybe u could tell if it is possible to make a scroll
    >bar for the entire page, im mean, top and left frame wont have scroll
    >bars, but main frame must have, is there any way to sroll the ENTIRE
    >page?

    Don't use frames. Frames are designed to scroll independently. If you
    don't want independent scrolling then frames are definitely the wrong
    move.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Nov 27, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > The only thing it should need to download is the HTML and any graphics
    > unique to the new page. CSS, JS and common graphics should be fetched
    > from the browser's cache.

    Assuming they have it set to do that. Many don't. (Not disagreeing
    with you, just pointing out an issue with your solution one might want
    to think about.)
    --
    -=*Tn*=-
    Travis Newbury, Nov 27, 2004
  4. a6s0lu7

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:00:42 -0500, Travis Newbury <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> The only thing it should need to download is the HTML and any graphics
    >> unique to the new page. CSS, JS and common graphics should be fetched
    >> from the browser's cache.

    >Assuming they have it set to do that. Many don't. (Not disagreeing
    >with you, just pointing out an issue with your solution one might want
    >to think about.)

    All browsers that I know about are set to use the cache by default. Do
    you know of one that doesn't?

    If a user chooses to not use the cache then the burden for slow
    author.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Nov 27, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > >Assuming they have it set to do that. Many don't. (Not disagreeing
    > >with you, just pointing out an issue with your solution one might want
    > >to think about.)

    > All browsers that I know about are set to use the cache by default. Do
    > you know of one that doesn't?
    >
    > If a user chooses to not use the cache then the burden for slow
    > author.

    Unless they leave because if it.

    --
    -=*Tn*=-
    Travis Newbury, Nov 27, 2004
  6. a6s0lu7

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:27:31 -0500, Travis Newbury <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> >Assuming they have it set to do that. Many don't. (Not disagreeing
    >> >with you, just pointing out an issue with your solution one might want
    >> >to think about.)

    >> All browsers that I know about are set to use the cache by default. Do
    >> you know of one that doesn't?
    >>
    >> If a user chooses to not use the cache then the burden for slow
    >> author.

    >Unless they leave because if it.

    If the _user_ leaves because the _use_r doesn't like the slowness that
    results from the _user's_ decision to switch of caching in the
    _user's_ browser, then what could the author have done?

    Of course authors should try to make their pages as fast as possible
    but an author can do nothing about people who switch off caching.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Nov 27, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > >> If a user chooses to not use the cache then the burden for slow
    > >> author.

    > >Unless they leave because if it.

    > If the _user_ leaves because the _use_r doesn't like the slowness that
    > results from the _user's_ decision to switch of caching in the
    > _user's_ browser, then what could the author have done?

    The only thing he can do is understand these visitors do exist. So
    while this method is better than frames, it too had consequences if you
    use it.

    --
    -=*Tn*=-
    Travis Newbury, Nov 27, 2004
  8. a6s0lu7

    a6s0lu7 Guest

    Travis Newbury <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > >Unless they leave because if it.

    > > If the _user_ leaves because the _use_r doesn't like the slowness that
    > > results from the _user's_ decision to switch of caching in the
    > > _user's_ browser, then what could the author have done?

    > The only thing he can do is understand these visitors do exist. So
    > while this method is better than frames, it too had consequences if you
    > use it.

    hy guys, thanks for ur replies, ill have ur opinions in consideration
    when i decide what to do with the web site...
    agains, thanks for ur replies.
    cheers...
    a6s0lu7, Nov 28, 2004