page displays fine in IE6, controls superimposed in IE7

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by BillE, Jul 1, 2008.

  1. BillE

    BillE Guest

    Using VS2005, C#, asp 2, web forms

    I have a panel which contains 3 sub-panels.

    The first sub-panel contains a combo box. Making a selection populates a
    gridview in the second sub-panel.

    Selecting a row in the gridview populates a repeater control in the third
    sub panel.

    This works just fine in IE6.

    In IE7, the third subpanel with the repeater control is superimposed on the
    second subpanel with the gridview.

    I tried setting a fixed height in subpanel #2, which helps somewhat, but it
    still seems that the third subpanel shifts around depending on the number of
    rows in the gridview, or something.

    What is the best way to cause the page to display properly in IE7, as it
    does in IE6?
    Thanks
    Bill
    BillE, Jul 1, 2008

  2. BillE

    Mike Collins Guest

    The page is actually displaying properly in IE7, or more properly. IE6 runs
    in quirks mode, which means that not all rendering of the page is not to WC3
    standards. Are the subpanels stacked on top of each other? If they are, then
    if you remove any CSS markup, you may see them stack properly and start to
    make sense of how they will display. If you show us your HTML and CSS markup,
    I may be able to help better.

    Mike Collins, Jul 1, 2008

  3. BillE

    BillE Guest

    It appears that when second subpanel expands to accomodate content, the
    third subpanel does not get moved downward as it does in IE6, and content is
    superimposed.

    I have worked around this by putting a scroll bar on the second subpanel so
    it doesn't grow, but this is not ideal, as content is concealed. I will try
    removing CSS markup if you think that might help, but it just modifies fonts
    and background colors - do you think that could impact the display this way?
    It is a complex page, with proprietary information on it so it will be
    difficult to display in the newsgroup - is there something in particular I
    should look for?

    As I described, I would like the summary panel with the grid view to grow
    and shrink, depending on the content, and the details panel with the
    repeater control move up and down accordingly. Is there a way to do this
    that works in IE7?

    Thanks
    Bill

    BillE, Jul 1, 2008
  4. BillE

    Mike Collins Guest

    As I understand it, panels are rendered as DIVs. As such, without any CSS
    added, all DIVs display as block -meaning they stack on each other- and grow
    with their content, pushing other items down that do not have any styling
    that will stop it.

    If you create a basic html page with a DIV with three DIVs inside it, you
    will see what I mean. Do not add any styling, just add some text so you know
    which DIV you are looking at. Maybe by seeing how these work, you will be
    able to fix your panels.

    Mike Collins, Jul 1, 2008
  5. BillE

    Christiano Guest

    i had that problem too...

    i solved that setting up the height property on hand...

    when you place the controls inside the panel, it resizes, but the height
    still like the "smallest size the panel will be"...

    IE6 sees the panels stretched, but IE7 reads the height property...

    Christiano, Jul 3, 2008