    correct and it is coded properly, or at the very least coded the same
    as the others in the series. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

    Thanks

    thedarkman, Aug 22, 2008

  2. thedarkman

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 22 Aug 2008, thedarkman <> wrote:

    > I finally bought a domain for the sight searchlightarchive.com; I've
    > had a few problems which were down to their server but one problem
    > persists. See this file:
    >
    > http://www.searchlightarchive.com/s_a_searchlight_biblio_1997.html
    >
    > this displays perfectly, but
    >
    > http://www.searchlightarchive.com/s_a_searchlight_biblio_1994.html
    >
    > gives only an error message; I've checked everything; the filename is
    > correct and it is coded properly, or at the very least coded the same
    > as the others in the series. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

    Yeah, the second one is broken.

    Anyway, Crystal Ballsache says try re-uploading on the off-chance it was put
    on the server in binary by mistake.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.net/

    Neredbojias, Aug 22, 2008

  3. Matteo wrote:
    > Il Fri, 22 Aug 2008 04:09:16 -0700, thedarkman ha scritto:
    >

    >> http://www.searchlightarchive.com/s_a_searchlight_biblio_1994.html
    >>
    >> gives only an error message;

    > I had the same problem once. The server wanted the +x permission for html
    > files.

    I don't believe that, unless the page is a script!

    More likely scenarios:

    1) corrupted upload.
    2) uploaded as binary instead of ascii.
    3) case miss-match, often from uploading from case-ignorant Windows to
    case-sensitive *nix server
    4) hidden none-printing character in filename (rare but have seen its
    occurrence)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 22, 2008
  4. On 2008-08-22, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Matteo wrote:
    >> Il Fri, 22 Aug 2008 04:09:16 -0700, thedarkman ha scritto:
    >>

    >>> http://www.searchlightarchive.com/s_a_searchlight_biblio_1994.html
    >>>
    >>> gives only an error message;

    >> I had the same problem once. The server wanted the +x permission for html
    >> files.

    > I don't believe that, unless the page is a script!

    Some servers allow .html (as opposed to .shtml) files to have
    server-side includes when the execute bit is set (the x-bit hack).

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Aug 23, 2008
  5. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    Hi, I've been informed by the host that this is because th site
    contains a forbidden word: porn, if you cab believe that.

    Better not try uploading any chess games.

    thedarkman, Aug 23, 2008
  6. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    thedarkman <> wrote:

    > Hi, I've been informed by the host that this is because th site
    > contains a forbidden word: porn, if you cab believe that.
    >
    > Better not try uploading any chess games.

    It is spelt "pawn" in chess, so it will be ok, trust me.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 23, 2008
  7. thedarkman

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 22 Aug 2008, thedarkman <> wrote:

    > Hi, I've been informed by the host that this is because th site
    > contains a forbidden word: porn, if you cab believe that.

    Ergo, your pages are censored by some prude asshole whose philosophy is
    little different than nazism in scope. Oh, how self-righteous be these
    "Little Self-Appointed Gods".

    Get a new host. -Quickly.

    --
    Neredbojias