Page level variables reset during Ajax post back

radix

Hello,

I have a aspx page with ajax scriptmanger update panel etc. I also
have public string variables on the aspx page.

Whenever postback happens from Ajax update panel, at server side all
the public string variables are reset to empty string. As if fresh
page is loaded. How to preserve the page level variables during Ajax
postback?

thanks!
Radix

gerry

a 'fresh page' is being loaded - updatepanel postback is still a postback.
any data you wish to preserve between postbacks should be saved either in
the form ( hidden fields / view state ) or saved on the server ( session /
.... )

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

radix said:
Hello,

I have a aspx page with ajax scriptmanger update panel etc. I also
have public string variables on the aspx page.

Whenever postback happens from Ajax update panel, at server side all
the public string variables are reset to empty string.

They are set to null, unless you actually assign them empty strings.
As if fresh page is loaded.

That's because a fresh page _is_ loaded.

An ajax call makes a regular postback, it just doesn't make a regular
response.
How to preserve the page level variables during Ajax
postback?

You can't. You persist data between postbacks just as you do between any
other postback.

radix

Yeah, I used sessions and saved my variables.

Strings were intialized to so they were not null... but they are nulls
if not initialzed. Thanks!