page link name

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jeff Thies, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    I'd like to embed navigation instructions in html.

    This would be so that these pages could be spidered and page links name
    could be extracted and navigation generated.

    I'm thinking of something along these lines:

    ***********

    ##################

    This would generate navigation something like this:

    <ul style="display: inline">
    <li>Info
    <ul>
    <li>Info 1<li>
    <li>Info 2<li>
    </ul>
    </li>
    <li>About Us</li>
    </ul>

    Surely something like this has been done before.

    Ideas on embedding nav instructions???

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Jeff Thies

    Andy Holmes Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote:
    > I'd like to embed navigation instructions in html.
    >
    > This would be so that these pages could be spidered and page links name
    > could be extracted and navigation generated.
    >
    > I'm thinking of something along these lines:

    > ***********
    >

    > ##################
    >
    > This would generate navigation something like this:
    >
    > <ul style="display: inline">
    > <li>Info
    > <ul>
    > <li>Info 1<li>
    > <li>Info 2<li>
    > </ul>
    > </li>
    > <li>About Us</li>
    > </ul>
    >
    > Surely something like this has been done before.
    >
    > Ideas on embedding nav instructions???
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jeff

    See:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-LINK

    Or more specifically:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-rel
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-rev

    And:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links

    -Andy

    Andy Holmes, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Jeff Thies

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jeff Thies" <>
    writing in news:vLtab.37272$:

    > I'd like to embed navigation instructions in html.
    >
    > This would be so that these pages could be spidered and page links name
    > could be extracted and navigation generated.
    >
    > I'm thinking of something along these lines:

    > content="root">
    >
    > ***********
    > content="Info">
    >

    > ##################
    >
    > This would generate navigation something like this:

    > <li>Info 1<li>
    > <li>Info 2<li>
    > </ul>
    ></li>
    ><li>About Us</li>
    ></ul>
    >
    > Surely something like this has been done before.
    >
    > Ideas on embedding nav instructions???
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jeff

    I think you might be looking for the LINK element -
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#edef-LINK

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    "Andy Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Thies wrote:
    > > I'd like to embed navigation instructions in html.
    > >
    > > This would be so that these pages could be spidered and page links name
    > > could be extracted and navigation generated.
    > >
    > > I'm thinking of something along these lines:

    > > ***********

    <snip>

    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-LINK
    >
    > Or more specifically:
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-rel
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-rev
    >
    > And:
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links

    Thanks. I'm a bit confused about this though.

    There's a wide range of attributes for link:

    id, class (document-wide identifiers)
    lang (language information), dir (text direction)
    title (element title)
    style (inline style information )
    onclick, ondblclick, onmousedown, onmouseup, onmouseover,
    onmousemove, onmouseout,
    onkeypress, onkeydown, onkeyup (intrinsic events )
    href, hreflang, type, rel, rev (links and anchors)
    target (target frame information)
    media (header style information)
    charset(character encodings)

    The style, event, title and dir are a bit puzzling. How would those be used?
    What about type?

    It looks like multiple attributes can be used in a link tag.And it looks
    like you can add your own attributes on top of those. Is that right?

    BTW, is the link tag getting much use? It seems like a wide open element!

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Sep 19, 2003
  5. Jeff Thies

    Eric Cartman Guest

    "Jeff Thies" <> wrote in message news:<vLtab.37272$>...
    > I'd like to embed navigation instructions in html.
    >
    > This would be so that these pages could be spidered and page links name
    > could be extracted and navigation generated.
    >
    > I'm thinking of something along these lines:

    > ***********
    >

    > ##################
    >
    > This would generate navigation something like this:
    >
    > <ul style="display: inline">
    > <li>Info
    > <ul>
    > <li>Info 1<li>
    > <li>Info 2<li>
    > </ul>
    > </li>
    > <li>About Us</li>
    > </ul>
    >
    > Surely something like this has been done before.
    >
    > Ideas on embedding nav instructions???
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jeff

    Take a look at xhtml

    EC
    ..

    Eric Cartman, Sep 19, 2003
  6. Jeff Thies

    Andy Holmes Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote:
    > "Andy Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jeff Thies wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd like to embed navigation instructions in html.
    >>>
    >>>This would be so that these pages could be spidered and page links name
    >>>could be extracted and navigation generated.
    >>>
    >>>I'm thinking of something along these lines:

    >>>***********
    >>>

    > <snip>
    >
    >>http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-LINK
    >>
    >>Or more specifically:
    >>
    >>http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-rel
    >>http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-rev
    >>
    >>And:
    >>
    >>http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links

    > Thanks. I'm a bit confused about this though.
    >
    > There's a wide range of attributes for link:
    >
    > id, class (document-wide identifiers)
    > lang (language information), dir (text direction)
    > title (element title)
    > style (inline style information )
    > onclick, ondblclick, onmousedown, onmouseup, onmouseover,
    > onmousemove, onmouseout,
    > onkeypress, onkeydown, onkeyup (intrinsic events )
    > href, hreflang, type, rel, rev (links and anchors)
    > target (target frame information)
    > media (header style information)
    > charset(character encodings)
    >
    > The style, event, title and dir are a bit puzzling. How would those be used?
    > What about type?
    >
    > It looks like multiple attributes can be used in a link tag.And it looks
    > like you can add your own attributes on top of those. Is that right?
    >
    > BTW, is the link tag getting much use? It seems like a wide open element!

    Well, a person could write an article on just those attributes and how
    they're used, but what you're looking for is something like this:

    <link href="index.html" rel="index.html" rev="section" type="text/html"
    media="screen">

    But I've found the definitions of link-types to be pretty ambiguous and
    don't often use them for that purpose. This is what you were asking for
    though, I believe, so I'll leave it up to you to interpret the
    link-types ( http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links ).

    What you will find <link> used most for however is including
    stylesheets, like so:

    <link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

    -Andy

    Andy Holmes, Sep 19, 2003
  7. Jeff Thies

    Andy Holmes Guest

    > <link href="index.html" rel="index.html" rev="section" type="text/html"
    > media="screen">

    should be infact:

    <link href="index.html" rel="index" rev="section" type="text/html"
    media="screen">

    Sorry, for the late night typo.

    -Andy

    Andy Holmes, Sep 19, 2003
  8. Jeff Thies wrote:

    > There's a wide range of attributes for link:
    >
    > id, class (document-wide identifiers)
    > lang (language information), dir (text direction)
    > title (element title)
    > style (inline style information )
    > onclick, ondblclick, onmousedown, onmouseup, onmouseover,
    > onmousemove, onmouseout,
    > onkeypress, onkeydown, onkeyup (intrinsic events )
    > href, hreflang, type, rel, rev (links and anchors)
    > target (target frame information)
    > media (header style information)
    > charset(character encodings)

    You probably only want to worry about:

    href - the URL for the document you are linking to.
    rel - the relation that URL has to this one (e.g. Next)
    title - the title of that page.

    Others that may come in handy:

    media - use this especially f you're linking to a non-(X)HTML page.
    hreflang - the language of the page you're linking to.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Sep 19, 2003
  9. Eric Cartman wrote:

    >> Ideas on embedding nav instructions???

    > Take a look at xhtml

    Why? The 1.x series offers nothing (in the way of navigation) that isn't in
    HTML 4.0, and the draft 2.0 with navigation lists won't be usable for about
    a decade.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Sep 19, 2003