page link name

Jeff Thies

I'd like to embed navigation instructions in html.

This would be so that these pages could be spidered and page links name
could be extracted and navigation generated.

I'm thinking of something along these lines:

***********

##################

This would generate navigation something like this:

<ul style="display: inline">
<li>Info
<ul>
<li>Info 1<li>
<li>Info 2<li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>About Us</li>
</ul>

Surely something like this has been done before.

Ideas on embedding nav instructions???

Cheers,
Jeff

Andy Holmes

Jeff said:
I'd like to embed navigation instructions in html.

This would be so that these pages could be spidered and page links name
could be extracted and navigation generated.

I'm thinking of something along these lines:

***********

##################

This would generate navigation something like this:

<ul style="display: inline">
<li>Info
<ul>
<li>Info 1<li>
<li>Info 2<li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>About Us</li>
</ul>

Surely something like this has been done before.

Ideas on embedding nav instructions???

Cheers,
Jeff

See:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#edef-LINK

Or more specifically:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-rel
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-rev

And:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links

-Andy

Adrienne

I'd like to embed navigation instructions in html.

This would be so that these pages could be spidered and page links name
could be extracted and navigation generated.

I'm thinking of something along these lines:

content="root">

***********
content="Info">

##################

This would generate navigation something like this:

<li>Info 1<li>
<li>Info 2<li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>About Us</li>
</ul>

Surely something like this has been done before.

Ideas on embedding nav instructions???

Cheers,
Jeff

I think you might be looking for the LINK element -
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#edef-LINK

Jeff Thies

Thanks. I'm a bit confused about this though.

There's a wide range of attributes for link:

id, class (document-wide identifiers)
lang (language information), dir (text direction)
title (element title)
style (inline style information )
onclick, ondblclick, onmousedown, onmouseup, onmouseover,
onmousemove, onmouseout,
onkeypress, onkeydown, onkeyup (intrinsic events )
href, hreflang, type, rel, rev (links and anchors)
target (target frame information)
media (header style information)
charset(character encodings)

The style, event, title and dir are a bit puzzling. How would those be used?
What about type?

It looks like multiple attributes can be used in a link tag.And it looks
like you can add your own attributes on top of those. Is that right?

BTW, is the link tag getting much use? It seems like a wide open element!

Cheers,
Jeff

Eric Cartman

Jeff Thies said:
I'd like to embed navigation instructions in html.

This would be so that these pages could be spidered and page links name
could be extracted and navigation generated.

I'm thinking of something along these lines:

***********

##################

This would generate navigation something like this:

<ul style="display: inline">
<li>Info
<ul>
<li>Info 1<li>
<li>Info 2<li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>About Us</li>
</ul>

Surely something like this has been done before.

Ideas on embedding nav instructions???

Cheers,
Jeff

Take a look at xhtml

EC
..

Andy Holmes

Jeff said:
[...]

Well, a person could write an article on just those attributes and how
they're used, but what you're looking for is something like this:

<link href="index.html" rel="index.html" rev="section" type="text/html"
media="screen">

But I've found the definitions of link-types to be pretty ambiguous and
don't often use them for that purpose. This is what you were asking for
though, I believe, so I'll leave it up to you to interpret the
link-types ( http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links ).

What you will find <link> used most for however is including
stylesheets, like so:

<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

-Andy

Andy Holmes

<link href="index.html" rel="index.html" rev="section" type="text/html"
media="screen">

should be infact:

<link href="index.html" rel="index" rev="section" type="text/html"
media="screen">

Sorry, for the late night typo.

-Andy

Toby A Inkster

Jeff said:
There's a wide range of attributes for link:

id, class (document-wide identifiers)
lang (language information), dir (text direction)
title (element title)
style (inline style information )
onclick, ondblclick, onmousedown, onmouseup, onmouseover,
onmousemove, onmouseout,
onkeypress, onkeydown, onkeyup (intrinsic events )
href, hreflang, type, rel, rev (links and anchors)
target (target frame information)
media (header style information)
charset(character encodings)

You probably only want to worry about:

href - the URL for the document you are linking to.
rel - the relation that URL has to this one (e.g. Next)
title - the title of that page.

Others that may come in handy:

media - use this especially f you're linking to a non-(X)HTML page.
hreflang - the language of the page you're linking to.

David Dorward

Take a look at xhtml

Why? The 1.x series offers nothing (in the way of navigation) that isn't in
HTML 4.0, and the draft 2.0 with navigation lists won't be usable for about
a decade.