Page Not displaying Properly?

={ Advocated }=

Hey there, was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.jones13/Test/

See the bottom right cell, the one with the 2 text boxes and the button,
well i have styled that with css, like:

..support {
color: #ffffff;
text-decoration: none;
text-align: center;
}

..support p {
text-align: center;
}

and then in that cell i have class="support" its calling it ok, but in IE
it doesnt seem center, a few people have verified its not center so any
ideas?

Cheers

rf

={ Advocated }= said:
Hey there, was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.jones13/Test/

See the bottom right cell, the one with the 2 text boxes and the button,
well i have styled that with css, like:

It's not a CSS problem.
and then in that cell i have class="support" its calling it ok, but in IE
it doesnt seem center, a few people have verified its not center so any
ideas?

You have specified width="256" for that cell. The content is centered, but
within a box that is never wider than 256. If the cell is bigger than that
then the box gets left justified within the cell.

I think this is because you don't seem to have a valid table. Some rows
appear to be missing cells without having rowspan specified. I can't work it
out at a glance.

Also, you are missing a form element. Those input fields aren't going to do
anything without a form.

Cheers
Richard.

={ Advocated }=

rf said:
It's not a CSS problem.

You have specified width="256" for that cell. The content is centered, but
within a box that is never wider than 256. If the cell is bigger than that
then the box gets left justified within the cell.

I think this is because you don't seem to have a valid table. Some rows
appear to be missing cells without having rowspan specified. I can't work it
out at a glance.

Also, you are missing a form element. Those input fields aren't going to do
anything without a form.

Cheers
Richard.

yea i know about the forms, i can add them after, they are just there for
the look at the moment..

Although my code is 100% valid, the tables arent so tidy, it was more of a
case of getting them to do what i need. What do you recommend for that cell
so it displays properly? thats the only problem ive got

Cheers for any help or advise

Els

={ Advocated }= said:
yea i know about the forms, i can add them after, they are just there for
the look at the moment..

Although my code is 100% valid, the tables arent so tidy, it was more of a
case of getting them to do what i need. What do you recommend for that cell
so it displays properly? thats the only problem ive got

Cheers for any help or advise

Change the width="256" to width="30%" (or any percentage
that you like)

You know, it would help if you would change the doctype to
Strict, as Nico said, and get all the markup into the
stylesheet. It makes it a lot easier too to see how your
table is built, too.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Nico said:
No it isn't. It's a mess of deprecated code.

You got this wrong. Deprecated elements and attributes are still valid,
though not recommended.

Matthias

Nico Schuyt

={ Advocated }= said:
Nico Schuyt wrote
Well i ran the code on that validator and it comes back valid, and i
dont want to change the doctype.. it makes no difference really

It does. The transitional option allows you to use that bad, deprecated
code.
Nico

rf

={ Advocated }= said:
Well i ran the code on that validator and it comes back valid,

Valid, especially with the transitional DTD, does not mean good :)
and i dont
want to change the doctype.. it makes no difference really

Ah but it does.

The transitional DTD is designed to allow validation of legacy sites, where
it might just not be worthwhile (read: cost effective) to convert them to
modern specs.

The strict DTD will force you to seperate the presentational issues from the
content, making the site so much easier to maintain and change.

Think about it: You wish to change your overall colour scheme from your nice
orange to a shocking pink. Do you wish to wade through tens of pages
changing hundreds of bgcolor attributes in <td> tags or do you wish to
change two or three property values in your commonly included CSS file?

What I seriously suggest is for you to rewrite your template from the ground
up. I would also suggest not using tables for layout but with all those nice
corners you have tables just may be the only way. There are too many bugs in
the mainstream browsers to achieve your layout without tables. Strive for a
liquid layout this time too.

During this rewrite most definately use the strict DTD. Start just with the
layout and some content. Apply presentational stuff in your CSS file as
almost an afterthought. You should also keep firmly in mind the KISS
principle.

Cheers
Richard.

Nico Schuyt

You got this wrong. Deprecated elements and attributes are still
valid, though not recommended.

So it depends on the definition of 'valid' :)
rf gives a further explanation in this thread.
Regards, Nico

Matthias Gutfeldt

Nico said:
So it depends on the definition of 'valid' :)

In this context there should be only one definition of 'valid'. I guess
you know Jukka's text already, but if you don't, check out
rf gives a further explanation in this thread.

According to the W3C, this is the purpose of the Transitional DTD:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/loosedtd.html>
"This is the HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD, which includes
presentation attributes and elements that W3C expects to phase out
as support for style sheets matures. Authors should use the Strict
DTD when possible, but may use the Transitional DTD when support
for presentation attribute and elements is required."

Nothing about converting legacy sites here, although of course that
could be one reason why presentation attributes and elements are required.

Matthias

Nico Schuyt

In this context there should be only one definition of 'valid'. I
guess you know Jukka's text already, but if you don't, check out
<http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html>.

I know it :)
Quotes:
"Valid documents can be wrong ..."
"Thus, a valid HTML document can be incorrect ..."
According to the W3C, this is the purpose of the Transitional DTD:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/loosedtd.html>
"This is the HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD, which includes
presentation attributes and elements that W3C expects to phase out
as support for style sheets matures. Authors should use the Strict
DTD when possible, but may use the Transitional DTD when support
for presentation attribute and elements is required."

Like it says: "Authors should use the Strict DTD when possible "
So, applying the wrong validation technique/standard doesn't make it valid
IMHO.

But ehhh, isn't this discussion a bit hypothetical?
Don't you simply agree that the quality of the coding of the OP is bad?

Nico

={ Advocated }=

Nico Schuyt said:
I know it :)
Quotes:
"Valid documents can be wrong ..."
"Thus, a valid HTML document can be incorrect ..."

Like it says: "Authors should use the Strict DTD when possible "
So, applying the wrong validation technique/standard doesn't make it valid
IMHO.

But ehhh, isn't this discussion a bit hypothetical?
Don't you simply agree that the quality of the coding of the OP is bad?

Nico

Gets the job done, i have a strict deadline, so far ive had positive
feedback from the customer and no problems have arrisen using diff browsers,
so i want to get it up and running for the client, i will then definately go
back and build it up again, may sound weird but they want a base site.. i
cant argue with a customer

Nico Schuyt

={ Advocated }= wrote:

Gets the job done, i have a strict deadline, so far ive had positive
feedback from the customer and no problems have arrisen using diff
browsers, so i want to get it up and running for the client, i will
then definately go back and build it up again, may sound weird but
they want a base site.. i cant argue with a customer

That is (a) valid (argument) :)
Good luck!
Nico

Isofarro

={ Advocated }= wrote:

[On the low quality of the markup]
Gets the job done,

And posting into alt.html with the subject "Page Not displaying Properly?"
is a confirmation that your job is done?

={ Advocated }=

--
Iso.
Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

Did i say that it was done muppet? It says it gets the base done.. Either
post something useful or do something.. This was a waste of time post by
you..

={ Advocated }=

Els said:
Don't know if you noticed, but when I look at your site now,
and make he window smaller, strange things happen on the
right...

Dont to me, what happens, what browser?