Page not displaying when exception raised

Guest

I have a little problem.

I designed a webpage (VB.Net) with code behind "Page_Load".

If the process works fine, the page is shown.

If the process raises an exception, I catch it and modify a label
inside the page (red color, ...)
But, the page is not displayed. I only have a blank screen.
No error page, no nothing.. just stops.

Do you know this problem ? The solution ?

Thanks

Patrick

Guest

ypu may want to check the view source of the HTML page appearing blank..
any javascript error or any broken tags?

Guest

The generated page is ok but empty.
I'm handling files (file.move, file.delete), when I was working on dos
programs (long time ago), there were specific problems when working on
files. Maybe it's a recurrent problem ?

Guest

try posting the part of the code that generate error..

possibly there is an error in the exception handler(?).. you may want to
try commenting every thing in side the catch {} and keep a simple
"Response.Write("error")) ...

Also how is the customErrors configureed in web.config ?

<customErrors
mode="RemoteOnly"
/>

Guest

First in the web.config I have <customErrors mode="Off" />

If I comment in the catch and only leave the response.write("ERROR"),
then it's displayed.
If I remove the Throw (the one with a comment in the code) in the
catch, it's the same thing.

It seems that if I make a fileCopy with wrong file name, the page is
not displayed. here's my web page :

Imports AFTypeFactory
Imports System.IO
Imports DistillInterface

Public Class RegenerationProgressionTrt
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

InitializeComponent()

End Sub
Protected WithEvents ImgPhase1 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Image
Protected WithEvents lblPhase1 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label
Protected WithEvents ImgPhase2 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Image
Protected WithEvents LblPhase2 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label

'NOTE: The following placeholder declaration is required by the Web
Form Designer.
'Do not delete or move it.

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
InitializeComponent()
End Sub

#End Region

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
If Request("PS") = 1 Then
lblPhase1.Text = "Phase 1 - PS"
If Request("PDF") = 1 Then
LblPhase2.Text = "Phase 2 - PDF"
Else
LblPhase2.Visible = False
End If
Else
If Request("PDF") = 1 Then
lblPhase1.Text = "Phase 1 - PDF"
LblPhase2.Visible = False
End If
End If

Try
traitements()
Catch ex As Exception

End Try
End Sub

Private Sub traitements()
Dim odsDossier As OffDocDossier = Session("Dossier")

If Request("PS") = 1 Then
Try ' phase 1 - PS

Dim FicDOC As String() =
DBActions.GetUploadById(odsDossier.DocFileId)
Dim FicPS As String() =
DBActions.GetUploadById(odsDossier.PsFileId)

Dim newPerson As New Impersonate.ImpersonateUser
Dim isValid As Boolean = newPerson.Start()
If File.Exists(Application("TempFolder") & FicDOC(4))
Then ' <----- HERE if the file cannot be accessed, there's anj
exception. It's thrown as I can see in the debugger

File.Delete(Application("TempFolder") & FicDOC(4))
End If
File.Copy(FicDOC(1) & FicDOC(4),
Application("TempFolder") & FicDOC(4))
If isValid Then
newPerson.End()
End If

WordPilot.PrintWordDoc(Application("TempFolder") &
FicDOC(4), Application("TempFolder") & FicPS(4))

isValid = newPerson.Start()
If File.Exists(FicPS(1) & FicPS(4)) Then
File.Delete(FicPS(1) & FicPS(4))
End If
File.Copy(Application("TempFolder") & FicPS(4),
FicPS(1) & FicPS(4))
If isValid Then
newPerson.End()
End If

ImgPhase1.Visible = True
Catch ex As Exception
lblPhase1.Font.Bold = True
lblPhase1.ForeColor = Color.Red
Throw ' If I remove this line, there's the same
blank screen...
End Try

If Request("PDF") = 1 Then
Try ' phase 2 - PDF
GenererPdf(odsDossier)

ImgPhase2.Visible = True
Catch ex As Exception
LblPhase2.Font.Bold = True
LblPhase2.ForeColor = Color.Red
Throw
End Try
End If
Else
If Request("PDF") = 1 Then
Try ' phase 1 - Génération du .PDF
GenererPdf(odsDossier)

ImgPhase1.Visible = True
Catch ex As Exception
lblPhase1.Font.Bold = True
lblPhase1.ForeColor = Color.Red
Throw
End Try
End If
End If
End Sub

Private Sub GenererPdf(ByVal CurrDossier As OffDocDossier)
If CurrDossier.WordPageCount <
Application("NbPagesMaxShortDistiller") Then
DBActions.InsertTask(CurrDossier.Id,
AFTypeFactory.enService.ShortDistiller)
Dim distiller As IDistillFactory =
CType(Activator.GetObject(GetType(IDistillFactory),
Application("AFDistillServiceUrl")), IDistillFactory)
distiller.Wakeup()
Else
DBActions.InsertTask(CurrDossier.Id,
AFTypeFactory.enService.LongDistiller)
Dim distiller As IDistillFactory =
CType(Activator.GetObject(GetType(IDistillFactory),
Application("AFLongDistillServiceUrl")), IDistillFactory)
distiller.Wakeup()
End If
End Sub

End Class