    chance that cacching will not work, if there are memory constraints.

    Thanks
    Nalaka
    Nalaka, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Hello Nalaka,

    As for the OutputCache of ASP.NET page, when you specify the
    "VaryByCustom=browser", that means the page's output content will be cached
    based on the client-side web request's browser header information(this is
    usually stored in useragent http header).

    And for your scenario, if you have the following cache setting in page:

    <%@ OutputCache Location="server" Duration="300" VaryByParam="none"
    VaryByCustom="browser" %>

    the page will be cached according to the two flag:

    ** duration="300"

    ** VaryByCustom="browser"

    So when you use IE to visit the page(no local or remote machine), the
    output result will be cached and only after 300 seconds will the cache be
    invalid. And if you use another browser(e.g firefox) to visit the page,
    the server-side will generate another cache versino of this page, and all
    seqential requests from other machine using firefox(same version) will will
    get the same cached output (until it expires after 300 seconds).

    I've tested this through the following test page:

    ================
    CodeFile="OutputCachePage.aspx.cs" Inherits="Cache_OutputCachePage"
    %>
    <%@ OutputCache Location="server" Duration="300" VaryByParam="none"
    VaryByCustom="browser" %>

    <head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
    </head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">

    </form>
    ===============

    =========code behind=========
    public partial class Cache_OutputCachePage : System.Web.UI.Page
    Response.Write("<br/>Datetime: " + DateTime.UtcNow.ToString());

    As for the "it stopped caching pages", what's the detailed behavior? Do you
    mean no matter you use different browser not not, it will always output new
    updated content each time you send reqeust to the page(refresh the browser)?

    Please feel free to let me know if you have anything unclear.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.