page test + page design.

Jeff

Fro said:
Yes, I am not seeing this. And I have no ideas why you do not see what
I am seeing. Which browser do you use? I use Mozilla. Does you allow
to accept cookies?

It's on all browsers on the entry page.

Jeff

rf

Fro said:
Yes, I am not seeing this. And I have no ideas why you do not see what
I am seeing. Which browser do you use? I use Mozilla. Does you allow
to accept cookies?

I confirm dark blue on black, and that's only the menu, no content at all
*the first time I viewed the page*. It's as if some style sheet is missing
untill that design thingy is used.

Fro

But what value does this give your users? It appears to me that you are
only trying to "sell" a banner exchange. There's nothing of any value as
not only don't your users know what colors are chosen but the color
schemes are all just monochromatic and mostly hideous.

I thought there are NO hideous colors in the universe. Am I wrong? I
thought color combination can be hideous. It is why I use
monochromatic scheme. I do not want to have parrot-page. Moreover,
for those who do not like a particular color I give a possibility ANY
color. ALL colors (with fixed intensity) are present in my scheme.
AQnd I do not sell anything.

Fro

I confirm dark blue on black, and that's only the menu, no content at all
*the first time I viewed the page*. It's as if some style sheet is missing
untill that design thingy is used.

I think I found at least a part of the problem. My pages use php-
sessions. Usually php-server tryes to save the session ID in cookies.
If cookies are switched off the php-server try to save session-id in
the address line (but I forbid this). So I changed this. Now my php-
server will save the session ID in the address line, I hope it will
solve the problem. Could you check my page again?

rf

Fro said:
I think I found at least a part of the problem. My pages use php-
sessions.

Nope. As somebody mentioned you *must* be keeping the colour choice on a per
ip-address basis. It is *not* kept in the session.

My tests are as follows:

First test:
Open the page with Firefox. It is green, the colour I chose yesterday. Open
the page in IE, it is green. This is the very first time I have looked at
the page with IE. Change the colour *in Firefox* to blue. Refresh IE, that
is just press F5, no using the colour picker or anything, the page is blue.

There is *no* interaction between the Firefox session cookie and the IE
session cookie but IE mysteriously changed to blue.

Second test:
Open the page on another computer, one that has never looked at the page
before, and one that has a different IP address to the first one. The page
is totally black, except for a couple of dark blue menu items (the default
:link colour).

Third test: with all cookies disabled in Firefox: refresh the page. It's
blue. Change the colour to red *in IE*. It's red *in IE*. Refresh the page
in Firefox. Guess what, it's now red in Firefox.

Fourth test:
Look at the page source on the first computer. I see colours like #24285e
and background colours (in your generated background inmage, img/pg.php)
like 9b9bf0.

Look at the page source on the second computer (the one that has never
visited the colour picker). The colours are #000000 and 000000 respectively.

Conclusion:
You are storing the colour info by IP address *AND* you provide a default
color and background-color of black.

Don't do this :)

Aside:
Disable all cookies in Firefox, refresh the page. It is flat blue, no
texture. Use the colour picker, get a 404 on:
http://www.showandbeshown.com/.php?id=&sentence_id=

Jeff

Fro said:
I thought there are NO hideous colors in the universe. Am I wrong? I
thought color combination can be hideous. It is why I use
monochromatic scheme.

It lacks elegance. Try looking at some monochromatic sites and you'll
see that although the colors may all be the same hue they may have
different saturations as well as different lightness values. But there
are other color schemes: triad, complimentary and split complementary to
name the most common.

I do not want to have parrot-page. Moreover,
for those who do not like a particular color I give a possibility ANY
color. ALL colors (with fixed intensity) are present in my scheme.

That's far from all the colors. And what you have is neither bold nor
soothing. It's at best blah.
AQnd I do not sell anything.

I put "sell" in quotes. Your only content is this banner exchange.

Jeff

Fro

It lacks elegance. Try looking at some monochromatic sites and you'll
see that although the colors may all be the same hue they may have
different saturations as well as different lightness values.
But it is exactly what I have. I use 3 different "lightness" (for
border, for "outside" of the border, and for "inside" of the border).
Moreover, after the clicks on "design" user can select among colors
which have different "saturations" (high saturation for pure colors
(green, red, blue) and minimal saturation for the grey. All colors in
this triangle have the same lightness (if we forget about the fact
that our eyes have different sensitivity to different colors (the best
for the green and the worst for the blue)).
But there
are other color schemes: triad, complimentary and split complementary to
name the most common.
I do not know these schemes...
I do not want to have parrot-page. Moreover,

That's far from all the colors. And what you have is neither bold nor
soothing. It's at best blah.
OK. What would your recommend? I fix the brightness and for the fixed
brightness I give ALL possible colors. There are nor other colors with
this brightness. It is because of mathematical restrictions...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

rf said:
My tests are as follows:

Much more detail than I chose to post (about IP address), but thanks for
confirming what I saw. I don't have a second IP, but *all* my browsers
changed to the same color when changed in one.

I don't see any evidence of PHP session cookies, either.

Here's an interesting bit: I used OffByOne, which does not recognize
any CSS at all (can see all text, but no color), but was able to choose
a color from the picker-page. Then I opened Opera, refreshed and it
follows the color.

I love how the "red" looks like a dead salmon.

rf

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Much more detail than I chose to post (about IP address), but thanks for
confirming what I saw. I don't have a second IP, but *all* my browsers
changed to the same color when changed in one.

And if you were inside a coporate proxy you would have changed Everyones
colour. Think of the power.

I wonder what AOLers to, a different colour every page view?
I don't see any evidence of PHP session cookies, either.

I saw a session-id in the URL. Of course we have no idea what is stored in
the session variable.
I love how the "red" looks like a dead salmon.

Shhh. You'll wake Blinky ;-)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

rf said:
And if you were inside a coporate proxy you would have changed
Everyones colour. Think of the power.

Boss: "Salmon? SALMON??? WHO'S BEEN SCREWING WITH MY COMPUTER?"
I wonder what AOLers to, a different colour every page view?

Multiple colours on different parts of each page...
I saw a session-id in the URL. Of course we have no idea what is stored in
the session variable.

Shhh. You'll wake Blinky ;-)

Oops, sorry.

John Hosking

rf said:
Fro said:
"Fro" wrote in message [M-ID trimmed fer cryin' out loud]

Dark purple text on black background? Perhaps you are not seeing
this?
Yes, I am not seeing this. And I have no ideas why you do not see what
I am seeing. Which browser do you use? I use Mozilla. Does you allow
to accept cookies?
I confirm dark blue on black, and that's only the menu, no content at all
*the first time I viewed the page*. It's as if some style sheet is
missing untill that design thingy is used.
I think I found at least a part of the problem. My pages use php-
sessions.

Nope. As somebody mentioned you *must* be keeping the colour choice on a per
ip-address basis. It is *not* kept in the session.

My tests are as follows:

[Marvelous detective work snipped]

Ah, good work, Richard.

This explains why I originally saw the blue-on-black page, then the 404
when I tried the "Design" link, then later I got to see actual content
(such as it is). That was around the point where Beauregard said, "Ah,
you changed it" and the OP replied, "What? No, I didn't."

I just recently got blue-on-black again, though, and from your research
I now know it's because I had restarted my machine, which gave me a new
IP address from my ISP. If any other customers of my ISP get my previous
IP address and visit that URL, they'll see the color I last chose. Good
thing it was only gray, and not, say, magenta.
Look at the page source on the second computer (the one that has never
visited the colour picker). The colours are #000000 and 000000 respectively.

Kind of low-contrast...
Conclusion:
You are storing the colour info by IP address *AND* you provide a default
color and background-color of black.

I now also understand why in blue-on-black mode the "banner exchange"
link in what turns out to be the content body disappears wholly or in
part when I hover over the other links in the menu above. It's because
on hover, a black-on-black pop-up appears and obscures all or part of
the words "banner exchange". With colors working, this is obvious, but
at the first visit (per IP) it's just bizarre.

--
John
I see the content and I want to paint it black.

Blinky the Shark

rf said:
And if you were inside a coporate proxy you would have changed Everyones
colour. Think of the power.

I wonder what AOLers to, a different colour every page view?

I saw a session-id in the URL. Of course we have no idea what is stored in
the session variable.

[blink!]

Shhh. You'll wake Blinky ;-)

Like that's a bad thing?

Toby A Inkster

rf said:
And if you were inside a coporate proxy you would have changed Everyones
colour. Think of the power.

If you have admin rights on a proxy, a good April Fools joke is to run all
images through a vertical flip filter.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 22 days, 17:48.]

Bottled Water
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/02/18/bottled-water/

rf

John
I see the content and I want to paint it black.
I see the background and I want it painted black.
No colours anymore I want them to turn black.
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away...

And if anybody does *not* know which song that is then they are not old
enough :)

Toby A Inkster

rf said:
And if anybody does *not* know which song that is then they are not old
enough :)

It's on my current playlist. For some reason the title always reminds me
of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_Your_Wagon_(film)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 22 days, 22:19.]

Bottled Water
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/02/18/bottled-water/

Fro

Hi,

I fixed the problem. Because of some reason I removed the entry from
the database which gives the default design (and did not notice that).
Now it should be OK. Another problem was related with the cookies
(when you was send to /.php). Now my php-server will store the session
ID in the address line (if you do not accept cookies) and it should
fix the problem.

dorayme

Toby A Inkster said:
If you have admin rights on a proxy, a good April Fools joke is to run all
images through a vertical flip filter.

It would be lost on those whose heads are worn upside down (as an
April Fool's joke, of course)

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:42:48
GMT Adrienne Boswell scribed:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Toby A Inkster <usenet200801
@tobyinkster.co.uk> writing in

and one of my favorites "They Call the Wind Mariah", which Wikipedia
spells incorrectly (Maria).

Actually, the 45 rpm record which was released from the 1951 show (probably
about 1952 +- 1 year) spelled it "Maria". (It was sung by Vaughn Monroe
and is the best version IMO.)