    existing pages either on the web or locally on my pc.

    Is there one?

    Tim W

    Tim W, Oct 14, 2013

  2. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article <l3go45$k5a$>, Tim W <>
    wrote:

    > I am undertaking an analysis of an existing site of quite a few pages,
    > sub pages, pdfs and html files in frames in other pages in order to
    > propose a well structured and organised new site with easy and logical
    > navigation. I want a free program which will make thumbs of all the
    > existing pages either on the web or locally on my pc.
    >
    > Is there one?

    Yes, all Apple Mac computers come with built-in screenshot facilities
    (e.g. Shift Command 4) and Preview (Tools/Edit/Adjust Size).

    You can even do a batch of files in Preview, select all from right
    panel of thumbs, adjust size, save.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 15, 2013

  3. dorayme <> writes:

    > In article <l3go45$k5a$>, Tim W <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am undertaking an analysis of an existing site of quite a few pages,
    >> sub pages, pdfs and html files in frames in other pages in order to
    >> propose a well structured and organised new site with easy and logical
    >> navigation. I want a free program which will make thumbs of all the
    >> existing pages either on the web or locally on my pc.
    >>
    >> Is there one?
    >>

    > Yes, all Apple Mac computers come with built-in screenshot facilities
    > (e.g. Shift Command 4) and Preview (Tools/Edit/Adjust Size).
    >
    > You can even do a batch of files in Preview, select all from right
    > panel of thumbs, adjust size, save.

    I'd expect a tool for this job would be able to crawl the site and
    generate the snapshots automatically. Unfortunately, I don't know of
    any software like that. It would be a shame if clicking links and
    manually taking snapshots is the only way to go.

    The job can be scripted, of course, but such things are almost always
    written as throwaways, so there may be no sufficiently polished version
    out there for the OP to use.

    Aside: I don't want to start an OS war, but it seems a bit of a stretch
    to call iOS software "free".

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Oct 15, 2013
  4. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> writes:
    >
    > > In article <l3go45$k5a$>, Tim W <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am undertaking an analysis of an existing site of quite a few pages,
    > >> sub pages, pdfs and html files in frames in other pages in order to
    > >> propose a well structured and organised new site with easy and logical
    > >> navigation. I want a free program which will make thumbs of all the
    > >> existing pages either on the web or locally on my pc.
    > >>
    > >> Is there one?
    > >>

    > > Yes, all Apple Mac computers come with built-in screenshot facilities
    > > (e.g. Shift Command 4) and Preview (Tools/Edit/Adjust Size).
    > >
    > > You can even do a batch of files in Preview, select all from right
    > > panel of thumbs, adjust size, save.

    > I'd expect a tool for this job would be able to crawl the site and
    > generate the snapshots automatically. Unfortunately, I don't know of
    > any software like that. It would be a shame if clicking links and
    > manually taking snapshots is the only way to go.
    >
    > The job can be scripted, of course, but such things are almost always
    > written as throwaways, so there may be no sufficiently polished version
    > out there for the OP to use.
    >
    > Aside: I don't want to start an OS war, but it seems a bit of a stretch
    > to call iOS software "free".

    Of course, you are right, bit of a slog to do it all manually. But if
    you are analysing as the OP is doing, you may be likely to look
    through it all, takes no time to key command a snap while you are at
    it and the rest is almost batch processing. Depends on the speed at
    which OP can work.

    (An anecdote about von Neumann, he was given a problem:

    Two trains start twenty miles apart and head toward each other, each
    going at a steady rate of 10 m.p.h. At the same time a fly that
    travels at a steady 15 m.p.h. starts from the front of one train to
    the front of the other, then turns and flies to the front of the first
    again. The fly keeps doing this till it runs out of fly room.

    What total distance did the fly cover?

    The slow way is to calculate how far the fly covers on the first leg
    of the trip, then on the second leg, then on the third, etc., etc.,
    and, finally, to sum the infinite series so obtained. The quick way is
    to observe that the trains meet exactly one hour after their start, so
    that the fly had just an hour for his travels.

    von Neumann solved it in an instant, the folks who gave him the
    problem concluded aloud that he must have found the quick way of doing
    it. But he didn't, he explained, he just summed the infinite series.

    He was just quick about it.

    iOS? Well, anyway, any Mac (desktop or not) with almost any OS these
    days (and most days gone by) could handle. Yes, Macs are a bit
    expensive upfront! <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 15, 2013
  5. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 15/10/2013 03:19, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    > dorayme <> writes:
    >
    >> In article <l3go45$k5a$>, Tim W <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am undertaking an analysis of an existing site of quite a few pages,
    >>> sub pages, pdfs and html files in frames in other pages in order to
    >>> propose a well structured and organised new site with easy and logical
    >>> navigation. I want a free program which will make thumbs of all the
    >>> existing pages either on the web or locally on my pc.

    [...]
    > I'd expect a tool for this job would be able to crawl the site and
    > generate the snapshots automatically. Unfortunately, I don't know of
    > any software like that. It would be a shame if clicking links and
    > manually taking snapshots is the only way to go.

    [...]

    Yes that's what I was after. didn't find one althought there are a few
    applets which will create one screenshot at a time. I am using:
    'webshot', http://www.websitescreenshots.com/
    Won't take as long as finding a program to do it automatically.

    Tim W

    Tim W, Oct 15, 2013
  6. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 15/10/2013 00:42, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <l3go45$k5a$>, Tim W <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am undertaking an analysis of an existing site of quite a few pages,
    >> sub pages, pdfs and html files in frames in other pages in order to
    >> propose a well structured and organised new site with easy and logical
    >> navigation. I want a free program which will make thumbs of all the
    >> existing pages either on the web or locally on my pc.
    >>
    >> Is there one?
    >>

    > Yes, all Apple Mac computers come with built-in screenshot facilities
    > (e.g. Shift Command 4) and Preview (Tools/Edit/Adjust Size).
    >
    > You can even do a batch of files in Preview, select all from right
    > panel of thumbs, adjust size, save.

    Oh No! I had an old netbook and last month I made it into a hackintosh
    one rainy afternoon. Couldn't think of anything to do with it so now it
    is running joli os instead.

    Now you tell me it might have been useful?

    Tim W

    Tim W, Oct 15, 2013
  7. dorayme <> writes:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme <> writes:

    >> > Yes, all Apple Mac computers come with built-in screenshot facilities
    >> > (e.g. Shift Command 4) and Preview (Tools/Edit/Adjust Size).
    >> >
    >> > You can even do a batch of files in Preview, select all from right
    >> > panel of thumbs, adjust size, save.

    >> I'd expect a tool for this job would be able to crawl the site and
    >> generate the snapshots automatically. Unfortunately, I don't know of
    >> any software like that. It would be a shame if clicking links and
    >> manually taking snapshots is the only way to go.
    >>
    >> The job can be scripted, of course, but such things are almost always
    >> written as throwaways, so there may be no sufficiently polished version
    >> out there for the OP to use.

    <snip>
    > Of course, you are right, bit of a slog to do it all manually. But if
    > you are analysing as the OP is doing, you may be likely to look
    > through it all, takes no time to key command a snap while you are at
    > it and the rest is almost batch processing. Depends on the speed at
    > which OP can work.

    True, it may well not take too long. Depends on the size of the site,
    of course. I think my reply was influenced by a recent experience where
    an organisation I've done some work for sank hours of volunteer time
    going through nearly 1000 pages on their website copying and pasting the
    text of each page into a word document. I ended up scripting the task
    but they were nearly done by the time I found out.

    Taking a screen shot is much less fiddly than text selecting, though.

    <snip story about over-engineering>

    It's true that over-thinking or over-engineering can be a great sink of
    time, but if I have to do a task once, it's worth speculating if I'll
    ever have to do it again. I probably end up scripting things on a hair
    trigger, just because I prefer that kind of work to repetitive tasks
    like the one above, but there have also been numerous occasion where the
    extra work has paid off because of repeated use.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Oct 15, 2013
  8. Tim W

    Ben C Guest

    On 2013-10-15, Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    [...]
    > It's true that over-thinking or over-engineering can be a great sink of
    > time, but if I have to do a task once, it's worth speculating if I'll
    > ever have to do it again. I probably end up scripting things on a hair
    > trigger, just because I prefer that kind of work to repetitive tasks
    > like the one above, but there have also been numerous occasion where the
    > extra work has paid off because of repeated use.

    Also the more you do it the faster you get at writing little scripts
    like that so you're saving time the next time you have to do something
    even similar.

    Ben C, Oct 15, 2013
  9. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article <l3j2mn$9jr$>, Tim W <>
    wrote:

    > I am using:
    > 'webshot', http://www.websitescreenshots.com/
    > Won't take as long as finding a program to do it automatically.

    Exactly. Often the case that manual is quicker than tooling up for the
    odd auto job.

    Surely, even in Windows or other than Mac operating systems there are
    built in screenshot facilities? On Macs there has been, as far as I
    can remember, Shift Command 4 to produce a cursor with which you then
    crop the area you want on the screen and let go of the mouse button
    and you hear a camera click. The snap, like a polaroid but quicker,
    appears on the desktop. I use this extensively and it is set up to
    produce pngs.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 15, 2013
  10. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article <l3j2q6$9jr$>, Tim W <>
    wrote:

    > On 15/10/2013 00:42, dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <l3go45$k5a$>, Tim W <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am undertaking an analysis of an existing site of quite a few pages,
    > >> sub pages, pdfs and html files in frames in other pages in order to
    > >> propose a well structured and organised new site with easy and logical
    > >> navigation. I want a free program which will make thumbs of all the
    > >> existing pages either on the web or locally on my pc.
    > >>
    > >> Is there one?
    > >>

    > > Yes, all Apple Mac computers come with built-in screenshot facilities
    > > (e.g. Shift Command 4) and Preview (Tools/Edit/Adjust Size).
    > >
    > > You can even do a batch of files in Preview, select all from right
    > > panel of thumbs, adjust size, save.
    > >

    > Oh No! I had an old netbook and last month I made it into a hackintosh
    > one rainy afternoon. Couldn't think of anything to do with it so now it
    > is running joli os instead.
    >
    > Now you tell me it might have been useful?

    You might be able to do it again and then run other operating systems
    through Virtual Box (I run Windows via Virtual Box, a free program, on
    my Mac).

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 15, 2013
  11. Tim W

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:

    > It's true that over-thinking or over-engineering can be a great sink of
    > time, but if I have to do a task once, it's worth speculating if I'll
    > ever have to do it again. I probably end up scripting things on a hair
    > trigger, just because I prefer that kind of work to repetitive tasks
    > like the one above, but there have also been numerous occasion where the
    > extra work has paid off because of repeated use.

    Yes, indeed and it's also very satisfying to find an auto way to do
    things, more elegant.

    Sometimes just for the heck of it, I work out a GREP pattern to do
    some universal changes over a set of HTML docs - when I could have
    done the job in a tenth of the time by simpler means, either by
    repeated use of less abstract and universal F&R rules or very simple
    donkey cut and paste on each file!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 15, 2013
  12. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 15/10/2013 22:41, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <l3j2mn$9jr$>, Tim W <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am using:
    >> 'webshot', http://www.websitescreenshots.com/
    >> Won't take as long as finding a program to do it automatically.

    > Exactly. Often the case that manual is quicker than tooling up for the
    > odd auto job.
    >
    > Surely, even in Windows or other than Mac operating systems there are
    > built in screenshot facilities? On Macs there has been, as far as I
    > can remember, Shift Command 4 to produce a cursor with which you then
    > crop the area you want on the screen and let go of the mouse button
    > and you hear a camera click. The snap, like a polaroid but quicker,
    > appears on the desktop. I use this extensively and it is set up to
    > produce pngs.

    The Print Screen key has put an image of the whole screen on the
    clipboard since the beginning of time, but it isn't particularly handy.
    My free program will take just the page, reduce it to size and write it
    as a file.

    Tim w

    Tim W, Oct 15, 2013
  13. dorayme wrote:
    > Surely, even in Windows or other than Mac operating systems there are
    > built in screenshot facilities?

    Yes, Mac does not have a monopoly on innovation, Windows *and* Linux
    have screenshot. It's PrnScrn key Alt+PrnScrn just gets you the active
    window and hot the whole screen.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 16, 2013
  14. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 15/10/2013 22:44, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <l3j2q6$9jr$>, Tim W <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 15/10/2013 00:42, dorayme wrote:

    [...]
    >>> Yes, all Apple Mac computers come with built-in screenshot facilities
    >>> (e.g. Shift Command 4) and Preview (Tools/Edit/Adjust Size).
    >>>
    >>> You can even do a batch of files in Preview, select all from right
    >>> panel of thumbs, adjust size, save.
    >>>

    >> Oh No! I had an old netbook and last month I made it into a hackintosh
    >> one rainy afternoon. Couldn't think of anything to do with it so now it
    >> is running joli os instead.
    >>
    >> Now you tell me it might have been useful?
    >>

    > You might be able to do it again and then run other operating systems
    > through Virtual Box (I run Windows via Virtual Box, a free program, on
    > my Mac).

    Surely. But being able to run other OSs over the top is not a good
    enough reason to have the apple OS in the first place.

    Tm W

    Tim W, Oct 16, 2013
  15. "Jonathan N. Little" <> writes:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >> Surely, even in Windows or other than Mac operating systems there are
    >> built in screenshot facilities?

    > Yes, Mac does not have a monopoly on innovation, Windows *and* Linux
    > have screenshot. It's PrnScrn key Alt+PrnScrn just gets you the active
    > window and hot the whole screen.

    Linux (in my case, Gnome) has a screenshot command, so scripting a
    series of screenshots would not need any X-Windows trickery (there are
    commands to simulate key presses, mouse clicks and so on, but that would
    not be needed here). Given that I already have a website crawler (well
    worth scripting -- I've used it many times) I don't think it would
    take more than a few of minutes to get a read-url, load-url,
    screenshot loop written. Timing would be the main problem. I'd try a
    to guess a reasonable delay to give the page time to load, and hope.

    Do you know of a way to load a page "synchronously" -- with the command
    exiting only when the page is rendered -- or of some way to find out
    that it has?

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Oct 16, 2013
  16. Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> writes:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>> Surely, even in Windows or other than Mac operating systems there are
    >>> built in screenshot facilities?

    >> Yes, Mac does not have a monopoly on innovation, Windows *and* Linux
    >> have screenshot. It's PrnScrn key Alt+PrnScrn just gets you the active
    >> window and hot the whole screen.

    > Linux (in my case, Gnome) has a screenshot command, so scripting a
    > series of screenshots would not need any X-Windows trickery (there are
    > commands to simulate key presses, mouse clicks and so on, but that would
    > not be needed here). Given that I already have a website crawler (well
    > worth scripting -- I've used it many times) I don't think it would
    > take more than a few of minutes to get a read-url, load-url,
    > screenshot loop written. Timing would be the main problem. I'd try a
    > to guess a reasonable delay to give the page time to load, and hope.
    >
    > Do you know of a way to load a page "synchronously" -- with the command
    > exiting only when the page is rendered -- or of some way to find out
    > that it has?

    A script with ImageMagick comes to maybe?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 16, 2013
  17. "Jonathan N. Little" <> writes:

    > Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Do you know of a way to load a page "synchronously" -- with the command
    >> exiting only when the page is rendered -- or of some way to find out
    >> that it has?
    >>

    > A script with ImageMagick comes to maybe?

    Do you mean repeatedly importing the window content to see when it's not
    changed for some period of time? Or maybe checking the progress bar
    that my browser of choice happens to show along the top edge of the
    window? Interesting possibilities, thanks, though I think I'd prefer
    something more direct.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Oct 16, 2013
  18. Tim W

    Neil Gould Guest

    Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> writes:
    >
    >> Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>> Do you know of a way to load a page "synchronously" -- with the
    >>> command exiting only when the page is rendered -- or of some way to
    >>> find out that it has?
    >>>

    >> A script with ImageMagick comes to maybe?

    > Do you mean repeatedly importing the window content to see when it's
    > not changed for some period of time? Or maybe checking the progress
    > bar that my browser of choice happens to show along the top edge of
    > the window? Interesting possibilities, thanks, though I think I'd
    > prefer something more direct.

    If your script is reading the web page in text format, you have it execute
    the screenshot when it reads </html>.
    --
    best regards,

    Neil

    Neil Gould, Oct 16, 2013
  19. "Neil Gould" <> writes:

    > Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >> "Jonathan N. Little" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Ben Bacarisse wrote:

    >> <snip>
    >>>>

    >>> A script with ImageMagick comes to maybe?

    >> Do you mean repeatedly importing the window content to see when it's
    >> not changed for some period of time? Or maybe checking the progress
    >> bar that my browser of choice happens to show along the top edge of
    >> the window? Interesting possibilities, thanks, though I think I'd
    >> prefer something more direct.
    >>

    > If your script is reading the web page in text format, you have it execute
    > the screenshot when it reads </html>.

    I don't follow. Why would the script be reading the page? What does it
    do with that page source that can ensure that the page is rendered by
    the time the input is exhausted? (I'm generalising, because there may
    be no </html>).

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Oct 16, 2013
  20. On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 13:30:08 +0100, Tim W wrote:

    > I am undertaking an analysis of an existing site of quite a few pages,
    > sub pages, pdfs and html files in frames in other pages in order to
    > propose a well structured and organised new site with easy and logical
    > navigation. I want a free program which will make thumbs of all the
    > existing pages either on the web or locally on my pc.

    Duplicating the existing site on your PC is fairly easy, you can use wget
    for that (other tools are also available).

    Converting an html page to a rendered image of that page, not so sure
    about that - I imagine there are tools available but I have no idea what
    they're called. You may need some google-fu for that.

    Ditto PDFs.

    Dare I ask that you take a step back and explain what you expect to do
    with these thumbnails?

    --
    Denis McMahon,

    Denis McMahon, Oct 16, 2013