Page.User object

PaulB

We are currently developing a corporate intranet app using ASP.Net 2.0 app
and wish to use Windows Integrated Security. I have developed a small test
app that excercises the capabilities of using Windows authentication and I
have two questions.

First, we have a requirement that our app be launched from a link on the
corporate intranet site which is implemented using JSP. Will the page.user
property still be populated with the credentials created and authenticated at
the time the user logged into the network when called from a JSP page??

Second, I have set up my test app with a default page and two other pages.
The two secondary pages are in their own directory and I have secured those
directories using the authorization tag in the web.config file (example below)

<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
<allow roles="XXX\YYYYYY" />
<deny users="*" />
</authorization>

When I try to access the secured page that I should not have access to, in
the development environment I am simply presented with the default "access is
denied" page. When I deploy the test app on IIS and access the secured page
that I do not have access to I am presented with the Windows logon screen to
supply a user id and password. If I supply a valid id and pw that does not
have access to the AD group 3 times I am then presented with the default
"access is denied" page. Is there a way to suppress the login page and go
directly to the "access is denied" page (trapping the failure and redirecting
to another page is also acceptable)?

Thanks in advance....

Dominick Baier

Hi,

1) yes - that still works - it has nothing to do where the request comes
from - it has to enter the asp.net app which means IIS does authentication
and hands the information to asp.net

2) you can handle the End_Request event (e.g. in global.asax - if the status
code is 401 - do the redirect..)

PaulB

Dominick,

Thanks for your response. I have one followup. If the JSP that is calling
our web app is being authenticated and served up via an Apache/Tomcat web
server will the .Net object structure (page.user) still be built up when the
ASP page gets initiated??

Dominick Baier

well- it has nothing to do where the request comes from - it has to do where
the request goes to...

in this case ASP.NET hosted in IIS - which does all the work for you - you
can also easily test that...