  1. When should you use the Page.Validate() method? I thought you would use this method if you have some Server side validation (CustomControl's) you wanted to use and this would cause them to be invoked. I am probably wrong about that.

    If I am suppose to use this function, the edits seemed to be invoked even when you have pressed the cancel and the "CausesValidation" is set to false. Is there a way to get around this (might just be an acedemic question if I should not be running Page.Validate() if the first place.

    Thanks in advance for your assistance!!
    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhlYXZleQ==?=, Jul 22, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhlYXZleQ==?=

    bruce barker Guest

    if the browser is not ie, or javascript is disabled, all validation is
    serverside. for serverside validation to run you must call Page.Validate or
    Page.IsValid.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jul 22, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhlYXZleQ==?=

    Greg Burns Guest

    Page.Validate is not the same as Page.IsValid (obviously)

    I've never found a reason to call Page.Validate myself (not that there
    probably aren't some good ones). Here is a contrived example from the help
    files.

    Sub Page_Load
    If Not IsPostBack
    ' Validate initially to force the asterisks
    ' to appear before the first roundtrip.
    Validate()
    End If
    End Sub

    I always do a check of Page.IsValid first thing in my button click events.

    If Not Page.IsValid Then Return

    Like Bruce said, if (for whatever reason) your client-side javascript didn't
    prevent the page from posting in the first place then the server validate
    events will run. You use Page.IsValid to make sure that the server
    validation didn't catch anything.

    HTH,
    Greg

    Greg Burns, Jul 22, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhlYXZleQ==?=

    Greg Burns Guest

    Here is a good reason (submitted by DujHoD in prior post) to call
    Page.Validate that I'd forgotten.

    ----------------------
    I believe you can use the IsValid property of the validator itself to
    check this.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/e...WebControlsBaseValidatorClassIsValidTopic.asp

    > Note that validation happens AFTER the Page_Load event, so if you get
    > this property in the Page_Load event, it will always return True,
    > since the control has not yet been validated. If you must check
    > validity in the Page_Load event, you can manually call the
    > Page.Validate method (or just call the Validate method of the
    > validator you want to check on).

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/aspplusvalid.asp

    ------------------
    Greg

    Greg Burns, Jul 22, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhlYXZleQ==?=

    bruce barker Guest

    IsValid calls Validate() if it has not been called.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jul 23, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhlYXZleQ==?=

    Greg Burns Guest

    Interesting, I've never heard that before.

    I know Validate gets called automatically sometime after Page_Load. But if
    you want to use IsValid in Page_Load I thougth you had to precedeed with a
    Validate.

    From docs:
    "Note If you want to perform this check during Page_Load, you must
    manually call the Validate method first."

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...html/vbtsktestingvalidityprogrammatically.asp

    Greg Burns, Jul 23, 2004