    Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
    or a dynamically resizable page?

    --

    Bob Wilcox, May 22, 2004

  2. Bob Wilcox schrieb:

    > Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
    > or a dynamically resizable page?

    Both, of course :). Or have you ever seen designers agree on anything?

    There are good theoretical and practical reasons for both fixed-width
    and for flexible/fluid design; which one you use should depend on the
    site specifications, not some abstract "ideology". I have used both
    solutions with good results.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, May 22, 2004

  3. Bob Wilcox

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    Bob Wilcox <> said:

    > Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
    > or a dynamically resizable page?

    who cares what a designer prefers, usability studies repeatedly show
    visitors prefer liquid layouts. the only people who seem to defend fixed
    layouts are graphic/print designers who are still having trouble
    adjusting to a new medium, control freaks or people who lack the
    skill/knowledge to create liquid layouts.

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, May 22, 2004
  4. Bob Wilcox

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
    > or a dynamically resizable page?

    Dynamic resizable would be best, but it totally depends on the site.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, May 22, 2004
  5. brucie <> wrote:
    > who cares what a designer prefers, usability studies repeatedly show
    > visitors prefer liquid layouts. the only people who seem to defend fixed
    > layouts are graphic/print designers who are still having trouble
    > adjusting to a new medium, control freaks or people who lack the
    > skill/knowledge to create liquid layouts.

    Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
    site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.

    Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
    a fixed layout.

    --
    _Deirdre http://deirdre.net
    "Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up

    Deirdre Saoirse Moen, May 22, 2004
  6. Bob Wilcox

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
    > site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.
    > Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
    > a fixed layout.

    I like it. (anyone shocked?) Bummer they have the flash accessibility
    turned off, but other than that it is good flash. Not to heavy, and it
    gives the visitor (well the 85+% of us that have all that kind of shit
    turned on) a very good show of their vehicles.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, May 22, 2004
  7. Bob Wilcox

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    Deirdre Saoirse Moen <> said:

    > Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
    > site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.
    > Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
    > a fixed layout.

    last year when i was looking for a new truck all i could find on any
    vehicle site was glitzy marketing shit that took forever to download, no
    actual real information about a vehicle.

    when i sent off my details for more info all i was sent was the same
    glitzy marketing shit printed on paper.

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, May 22, 2004
  8. "Bob Wilcox" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
    > or a dynamically resizable page?

    By "page designer", do you mean Internet developers with a technical
    clue, or the typical people actually seen designing Web pages, who
    tend to be technically clueless and proud of it, and unshakeably
    wedded to a control-freakish graphical mindset? Your answer will
    differ greatly depending on which group you ask.

    --
    Dan

    Daniel R. Tobias, May 22, 2004
  9. Whitecrest <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
    >> site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.
    >> Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
    >> a fixed layout.

    > I like it. (anyone shocked?) Bummer they have the flash accessibility
    > turned off, but other than that it is good flash. Not to heavy, and it
    > gives the visitor (well the 85+% of us that have all that kind of shit
    > turned on) a very good show of their vehicles.

    Oh, it's *pretty*.

    But for people who, like me, have corneal scratches as a regular part of
    their lives, it's just too small and too light. I also prefer floating
    layouts, but I'm not a hardass about it.

    Now that I don't have to look at it 8/5, I like it better.

    Deirdre Saoirse Moen, May 22, 2004
  10. Bob Wilcox

    Barefoot Kid Guest

    "Bob Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    > Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800

    pixels,
    > or a dynamically resizable page?

    don't really mind either way, but some designs r impossible to do fluid
    --
    Hung Diep
    http://www.intro-spect.co.uk

    Barefoot Kid, May 23, 2004
  11. Bob Wilcox

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >> Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
    > >> a fixed layout.

    > > I like it. (anyone shocked?) Bummer they have the flash accessibility
    > > turned off, but other than that it is good flash. Not to heavy, and it
    > > gives the visitor (well the 85+% of us that have all that kind of shit
    > > turned on) a very good show of their vehicles.

    > Oh, it's *pretty*.
    > But for people who, like me, have corneal scratches as a regular part of
    > their lives, it's just too small and too light. I also prefer floating
    > layouts, but I'm not a hardass about it.

    No your not a hard ass, and you have a legitimate complaint.

    But companies like this look at the audience. But look at it through
    their eyes. Most of the people that buy a nissan don't have sight
    problems, the page was not too heavy for a 56K connection, and their
    website, like their TV ads, and print ads, are flashy (no pun intended)
    and try to reach a certain audience.

    They have obviously (in their eyes) achieved this with the website. I
    have no problem with this. And the bottom line is if the company felt
    it did not help sales, it would go away in a second. Go to all the car
    sites, they are all about the same.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, May 23, 2004
  12. Whitecrest <> wrote:

    > But companies like this look at the audience. But look at it through
    > their eyes. Most of the people that buy a nissan don't have sight
    > problems, the page was not too heavy for a 56K connection, and their
    > website, like their TV ads, and print ads, are flashy (no pun
    > intended) and try to reach a certain audience.

    Yeah, I'm not a Nissan kinda gal. ;)

    When I consulted for Honda (not web stuff), I drove the only Jeep.

    > They have obviously (in their eyes) achieved this with the website. I
    > have no problem with this. And the bottom line is if the company felt
    > it did not help sales, it would go away in a second. Go to all the
    > car sites, they are all about the same.

    Yep, I know.

    Deirdre Saoirse Moen, May 23, 2004
  13. Bob Wilcox wrote:

    > Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
    > or a dynamically resizable page?

    Which is prefered by most Office workers, fixed shirts and ties, at say,
    28inch chest and 10inch neck, or a range of sizes?

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, May 23, 2004
  14. Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:
    > Which is prefered by most Office workers, fixed shirts and ties, at say,
    > 28inch chest and 10inch neck, or a range of sizes?

    I prefer jobs where I don't have to wear a tie at all, myself.

    (I *do* expect to wear a shirt, however... "No shirt, no shoes, no
    service!")

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, May 23, 2004
  15. Bob Wilcox

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:25:24 +0100, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
    <> wrote:

    > Bob Wilcox wrote:
    >
    >> Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800
    >> pixels,
    >> or a dynamically resizable page?
    >>

    > Which is prefered by most Office workers, fixed shirts and ties, at say,
    > 28inch chest and 10inch neck, or a range of sizes?

    I have a 17" neck but my collar is 8 1/2" so I can wear another shirt at
    the same time ;)

    Neal, May 23, 2004
  16. Bob Wilcox

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > Which is prefered by most Office workers, fixed shirts and ties, at say,
    > > 28inch chest and 10inch neck, or a range of sizes?

    > I prefer jobs where I don't have to wear a tie at all, myself.

    Prefer jobs where pants are optional...
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, May 23, 2004
  17. Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
    > Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:
    >
    >> Which is prefered by most Office workers, fixed shirts and ties, at
    >> say, 28inch chest and 10inch neck, or a range of sizes?

    > I prefer jobs where I don't have to wear a tie at all, myself.
    >
    > (I *do* expect to wear a shirt, however... "No shirt, no shoes, no
    > service!")

    I have a job where I dont have to wear a shirt OR tie :)

    and its not at mcdonalds hehe

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, May 23, 2004
  18. Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

    > I have a job where I dont have to wear a shirt OR tie :)

    Weyoun the Dancing Lifeguard?

    Weyoun the Dancing Sumo?

    Weyoun the Dancing Underarm Antiperspirant Tester?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, May 23, 2004
  19. Daniel R. Tobias wrote:

    > (I *do* expect to wear a shirt, however... "No shirt, no shoes, no
    > service!")

    Pah! I could turn up in my pyjamas and no-one would raise an eyebrow.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, May 24, 2004
  20. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:
    >

    >>I have a job where I dont have to wear a shirt OR tie :)

    > Weyoun the Dancing Lifeguard?
    >
    > Weyoun the Dancing Sumo?
    >
    > Weyoun the Dancing Underarm Antiperspirant Tester?

    Weyoun the Dancing [insert large credit card company] Employee :)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, May 29, 2004