Page width

Bob Wilcox

Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
or a dynamically resizable page?

Matthias Gutfeldt

Bob said:
Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
or a dynamically resizable page?

Both, of course :). Or have you ever seen designers agree on anything?

There are good theoretical and practical reasons for both fixed-width
and for flexible/fluid design; which one you use should depend on the
site specifications, not some abstract "ideology". I have used both
solutions with good results.

Matthias

brucie

in post: <
Bob Wilcox said:
Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
or a dynamically resizable page?

who cares what a designer prefers, usability studies repeatedly show
visitors prefer liquid layouts. the only people who seem to defend fixed
layouts are graphic/print designers who are still having trouble
adjusting to a new medium, control freaks or people who lack the
skill/knowledge to create liquid layouts.

Whitecrest

Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
or a dynamically resizable page?

Dynamic resizable would be best, but it totally depends on the site.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen

brucie said:
who cares what a designer prefers, usability studies repeatedly show
visitors prefer liquid layouts. the only people who seem to defend fixed
layouts are graphic/print designers who are still having trouble
adjusting to a new medium, control freaks or people who lack the
skill/knowledge to create liquid layouts.

Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.

Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
a fixed layout.

Whitecrest

Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.
Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
a fixed layout.

I like it. (anyone shocked?) Bummer they have the flash accessibility
turned off, but other than that it is good flash. Not to heavy, and it
gives the visitor (well the 85+% of us that have all that kind of shit
turned on) a very good show of their vehicles.

brucie

in post: <
Deirdre Saoirse Moen said:
Five years ago, when I was doing back-end development for the Nissan
site, the designers liked small type and a fixed layout.
Here it is 2004, they're still using the same small, too-light font and
a fixed layout.

last year when i was looking for a new truck all i could find on any
vehicle site was glitzy marketing shit that took forever to download, no
actual real information about a vehicle.

when i sent off my details for more info all i was sent was the same
glitzy marketing shit printed on paper.

Daniel R. Tobias

Bob Wilcox said:
Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
or a dynamically resizable page?

By "page designer", do you mean Internet developers with a technical
clue, or the typical people actually seen designing Web pages, who
tend to be technically clueless and proud of it, and unshakeably
wedded to a control-freakish graphical mindset? Your answer will
differ greatly depending on which group you ask.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Whitecrest said:
I like it. (anyone shocked?) Bummer they have the flash accessibility
turned off, but other than that it is good flash. Not to heavy, and it
gives the visitor (well the 85+% of us that have all that kind of shit
turned on) a very good show of their vehicles.

Oh, it's *pretty*.

But for people who, like me, have corneal scratches as a regular part of
their lives, it's just too small and too light. I also prefer floating
layouts, but I'm not a hardass about it.

Now that I don't have to look at it 8/5, I like it better.

Barefoot Kid

Bob Wilcox said:
Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
or a dynamically resizable page?

don't really mind either way, but some designs r impossible to do fluid

Whitecrest

Oh, it's *pretty*.
But for people who, like me, have corneal scratches as a regular part of
their lives, it's just too small and too light. I also prefer floating
layouts, but I'm not a hardass about it.

No your not a hard ass, and you have a legitimate complaint.

But companies like this look at the audience. But look at it through
their eyes. Most of the people that buy a nissan don't have sight
problems, the page was not too heavy for a 56K connection, and their
website, like their TV ads, and print ads, are flashy (no pun intended)
and try to reach a certain audience.

They have obviously (in their eyes) achieved this with the website. I
have no problem with this. And the bottom line is if the company felt
it did not help sales, it would go away in a second. Go to all the car
sites, they are all about the same.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Whitecrest said:
But companies like this look at the audience. But look at it through
their eyes. Most of the people that buy a nissan don't have sight
problems, the page was not too heavy for a 56K connection, and their
website, like their TV ads, and print ads, are flashy (no pun
intended) and try to reach a certain audience.

Yeah, I'm not a Nissan kinda gal. ;)

When I consulted for Honda (not web stuff), I drove the only Jeep.
They have obviously (in their eyes) achieved this with the website. I
have no problem with this. And the bottom line is if the company felt
it did not help sales, it would go away in a second. Go to all the
car sites, they are all about the same.

Yep, I know.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Bob said:
Which is preferred by most page designers, fixed page width, say 800 pixels,
or a dynamically resizable page?

Which is prefered by most Office workers, fixed shirts and ties, at say,
28inch chest and 10inch neck, or a range of sizes?

Daniel R. Tobias

Weyoun said:
Which is prefered by most Office workers, fixed shirts and ties, at say,
28inch chest and 10inch neck, or a range of sizes?

I prefer jobs where I don't have to wear a tie at all, myself.

(I *do* expect to wear a shirt, however... "No shirt, no shoes, no
service!")

Neal

Which is prefered by most Office workers, fixed shirts and ties, at say,
28inch chest and 10inch neck, or a range of sizes?

I have a 17" neck but my collar is 8 1/2" so I can wear another shirt at
the same time ;)

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Daniel said:
I prefer jobs where I don't have to wear a tie at all, myself.

(I *do* expect to wear a shirt, however... "No shirt, no shoes, no
service!")

I have a job where I dont have to wear a shirt OR tie :)

and its not at mcdonalds hehe

Blinky the Shark

Weyoun said:
I have a job where I dont have to wear a shirt OR tie :)

Weyoun the Dancing Lifeguard?

Weyoun the Dancing Sumo?

Weyoun the Dancing Underarm Antiperspirant Tester?

Toby A Inkster

Daniel said:
(I *do* expect to wear a shirt, however... "No shirt, no shoes, no
service!")

Pah! I could turn up in my pyjamas and no-one would raise an eyebrow.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Blinky said:
Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

Weyoun the Dancing Lifeguard?

Weyoun the Dancing Sumo?

Weyoun the Dancing Underarm Antiperspirant Tester?

Weyoun the Dancing [insert large credit card company] Employee :)