Page with Form and ASP

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard Speiss, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. I'm not sure if this is a server side or client side issue.

    I have a straightforward ASP page that queries a database and displays a
    list of restaurants. This works fine.

    I wanted to add the ability for the user to filter the list by specifying a
    city and quadrant of the city (NW, NE, SW, SE) in two separate list boxes.

    Using the FORM command I was able to create the list boxes and populate them
    when my page loads. Again this is working fine.

    Now the user can click on these boxes and make a selection. What I can't
    figure out is how to get the data from those list boxes and change my SQL
    query. I did some searching and most sites say that you need a submit
    button which will send the variables to another page. I tried creating a
    submit button and sending it back to my original page but this didn't work.

    1. I don't want to start up another page. I just want to redisplay the
    current page using the new parameters (and preferrably have the list box
    display the new selection too)

    2. Preferrably I would not even have to press the Submit button. I would
    prefer that as soon as a person makes a choice that the I would be able to
    redisplay my current page using that selection.

    I'm pretty new to all of this and learning it as I go. Am I asking for the
    impossible or is there some way to do this?

    Thanks

    Richard

    Richard Speiss, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Richard Speiss

    Dan Abrey Guest

    "Richard Speiss" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure if this is a server side or client side issue.
    >
    > I have a straightforward ASP page that queries a database and displays a
    > list of restaurants. This works fine.
    >
    > I wanted to add the ability for the user to filter the list by specifying

    > city and quadrant of the city (NW, NE, SW, SE) in two separate list boxes.
    >
    > Using the FORM command I was able to create the list boxes and populate

    them
    > when my page loads. Again this is working fine.
    >
    > Now the user can click on these boxes and make a selection. What I can't
    > figure out is how to get the data from those list boxes and change my SQL
    > query. I did some searching and most sites say that you need a submit
    > button which will send the variables to another page. I tried creating a
    > submit button and sending it back to my original page but this didn't

    work.

    > 1. I don't want to start up another page. I just want to redisplay the
    > current page using the new parameters (and preferrably have the list box
    > display the new selection too)
    >
    > 2. Preferrably I would not even have to press the Submit button. I would
    > prefer that as soon as a person makes a choice that the I would be able to
    > redisplay my current page using that selection.
    >
    > I'm pretty new to all of this and learning it as I go. Am I asking for

    the
    > impossible or is there some way to do this?

    The solution is to send the form variables to the current page, and use the
    variables created in the SQL statement.

    Dan Abrey, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Thanks I got it going. The biggest problem was that I was trying to use GET
    instead of POST. Once I started using POST things started to work for me.
    From the docs I read it seemed like should be using GET but if it works, I'm
    not going to argue

    Richard

    Richard Speiss, Sep 29, 2004