    My attempts so far have not been encouraging.
    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Mar 7, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Richard Guest

    On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:14:12 +1300 KiwiBrian wrote:

    > Is it possible to create a page where the content has an ornamental border
    > simulating a picture frame complete with mitred corners?
    > And/or if I create a graphic of a picture frame where the centre is white,
    > can the page content be place over the white central area?
    > Any ideas, or urls of such pages would be appreciated.
    > My attempts so far have not been encouraging.
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    Most likely with an IFRAME.
    Set your "frame" in a division with fixed sizes then call up the iframe page
    as desired.
    Otherwise, you'd need a bit of javascriipt to show and hide other divisions
    within the "frame".
    Just remember that you will get scrollbars if your iframe page does not fit
    the "frame" properly.

    Richard, Mar 7, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian wrote:

    > Is it possible to create a page where the content has an ornamental border
    > simulating a picture frame complete with mitred corners?

    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=RoundedCorners

    The same principles apply, although you will need extra containers to handle
    the edges (since I expect you want those as well as graphical corners)

    > And/or if I create a graphic of a picture frame where the centre is white,
    > can the page content be place over the white central area?

    Absolute positioning, height, width and overflow... but don't - fixed width
    designs aren't a very good idea at the best of times, and once you start
    adding thick borders you'll either have little space left for content, or
    nasty horizontal scrolling for many users.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 7, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    wrote:

    >> Is it possible to create a page where the content has an ornamental border
    >> simulating a picture frame complete with mitred corners?

    >Most likely with an IFRAME.

    Ignoring for a moment the fact that you're a moron, and your idea is
    almost guaranteed to be rubbish anyway, then an <iframe> would allow
    you to include one piece of content in another. For a feature that
    might more easily be done by SSI, then it would be an ugly kludge to
    set up, but it might even be said to "work".

    However the poster was asking about decorating an area on a page.
    This is broadly the same problem as the old chestnut of "rounded
    corners", which David Dorward has just posted some help on.
    Also see this example, posted last week (and read the code)
    http://www.masterpiece.co.nz/index.php

    Now _how_ does Richard expect an <iframe> to be the slighest help with
    this problem ?

    Andy Dingley, Mar 7, 2005