Paging and Filtering in Gridview (.NET 2.0)

Bill Manring

I am writing a very simple web application using VS 2005 and a SQL Server
Database. I am just starting to experiment wth .NET 2.0 and I am trying out
the supposedly improved databinding.

I dragged a table from a datasource on to my web form and the GridView
cpntrol was created. I turned on paging, and Edit and Delete buttons. I ran
the app and everything worked great - not a single line of code written yet.

Then I wanted to add a simple feature where the user could filter out data
based on a value in a single column. I added a little code that set the
FilterExpression property of the SqlDataSource, and that seemed to work fine
as well. Here is the FilterExpression code:

SqldataSource1.FilterExpression = "LastName = '" + txtFilterValue.Text + "'";

This worked fine - I got a subset of the original data based on the last
name I entered into a text box.

The problem began if I tried to edit a record in the filtered data or go to
another page in the filtered data. Taking either of these actions resulted
in the restoration of the original unfiltered dataset. If I hit Edit on the
first record of the first page in the filtered dataset, I was switched back
to the first record in the unfiltered dataset and put in edit mode in the
GridView control. If I go to another page of data in the Filtered dataset,
the original dataset is resotred and I am sent to that page number in the
original dataset.

I tried taking the approach of changing the SelectCommand property of the
SqlDataSource object instead of using the FilterExpression property, but that
behaved the same way.

The only code I have is in the "Filter" button click event. I have no code
at all in the page_load event.

This seems like it should be simple, but I am obviously missing something.
I'm pretty sure I could go back to my current .NET v1.1 habits of doing
everything myself in code, but I want to give the new databinding a chance
before I abandoned it.

Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Phillip Williams

You might just need to move the line of code that sets the filter condition
to the page_load so that the filter would be set upon each PostBack.