Paging question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by majiofpersia, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. majiofpersia

    majiofpersia Guest

    Hi all and thanks in advance for your help,

    I am reading this book called ASP.NET unleashed and on the datagrid section
    it says that there is a disadvantage with paging with the datagrid. That
    when you do paging with the datagrid and datasets, all the records must be
    retrieved from the datasource every time you navigate to a new page. So, if
    you have a large dataset then that will cause performance problems.

    I don't know about this .... it just doesn't sound too right to me.
    Specially since datasets are disconnected from the data source. And my
    assumption was that they act as containers for the data ... which suggests
    to me that once we are using a dataset and datagrid combination, there is no
    need to refer back to the data source ...
    If this is a known problem, does that mean that this is a bug?

    I personally think that the author of the book is wrong, what do you guys
    think?

    Thanks for your input,

    Majiofpersia
    majiofpersia, Jul 10, 2003

  2. majiofpersia

    Prasad Guest

    Hi

    When AllowPaging is set to True for DataGrid. These are the things are
    done by the DataGrid :

    1. It will Show the Pager UI
    2. It will raise OnPageIndexChanged from where we can set
    clicked PageIndex

    Only the above things are done by the DataGird. Its Developer's
    responsible to Bound the Grid and set the PageIndex. So to achieve that we
    need to requery the Database everytime and bound it to the grid by setting
    PageIndex. For Efficient you can use Programming Logic, or use ASP Caching
    features.

    HTH
    Prasad

    Prasad, Jul 11, 2003