Paid Research Project on Stackless 3.1

Christian Tismer

(re-sent and modified, after I recognized that my
hardware-clock is broken, need a new note-buck)

Dear community,

I would love to publish Stackless 3.1, of course.
Also I know that there is some inherent bug in it.
This is the state of the art sine four months.
I am currently in a very tight project and have no
time to dig into this problem.
BUT IT IS URGENT!

I'm seeking for a person who would take the job to
find the buglet. He would need to debug and
nail down a commercial application, which I cannot
make public. (S)He would need to sign an NDA with me.

The success payment would be $500, minimum. If the problem
shows up to be very hard (to some undefined definition
of very hard, to be negotiated), it can be increased
to $1000.

If my app works afterwards, Stackless 3.1 is just fine
and can go out to the public..
If it doesn't work, no payment happens.
The identified problem needs to be documented by a
reproducible test case.

If somebody is interested, please contact me privately.
And be aware, this is really no easy stuff. You need to
be a real hardcore system hacker with many years of
experience.
(Armin, Bob, Jeff, Lutz, Richard, Stefan, Stephan?)

Here is the CVS path to the dev trunk:
CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected]:/home/cvs
cvs co slpdev/src/2.3/dev

The cheapest complete solution wins. Hurry up :)

Sincerely -- chris
--
Christian Tismer :^) <mailto:[email protected]>
tismerysoft GmbH : Have a break! Take a ride on Python's

Istvan Albert

Christian said:
I would love to publish Stackless 3.1, of course.
Also I know that there is some inherent bug in it.

This is not a "Paid Research Project" this is
called "Bug Bounty".

Istvan.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael_Str=F6der?=

Christian said:
I would love to publish Stackless 3.1, of course.
Also I know that there is some inherent bug in it.
[..]
I'm seeking for a person who would take the job to
find the buglet. He would need to debug and
nail down a commercial application, which I cannot
make public. (S)He would need to sign an NDA with me.

Hopefully your customer does not read this news group...
The success payment would be $500, minimum. If the problem
shows up to be very hard (to some undefined definition
of very hard, to be negotiated), it can be increased
to $1000.
[..]
You need to
be a real hardcore system hacker with many years of
experience.
[..]
The cheapest complete solution wins. Hurry up :)
> [..]
Christian Tismer :^) <mailto:[email protected]>
tismerysoft GmbH : Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
Carmerstr. 2 : *Starship* http://starship.python.net/
10623 Berlin : PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/

I'm not sure about the exact daily rates for programmers in Berlin but I
would not expect many responses from really skilled people for taking over a
commercial project for such a low payment and additionally taking the risk
that there's no payment at all.

Ciao, Michael.

Alex Martelli

Michael Ströder said:
Hopefully your customer does not read this news group...

Why not? If I was the customer, I'd be admiring of Christian's
resourcefulness and inventiveness.
I'm not sure about the exact daily rates for programmers in Berlin but I

I don't see any indication that people who accept the challenge need to
be in Berlin.
would not expect many responses from really skilled people for taking over a
commercial project for such a low payment and additionally taking the risk
that there's no payment at all.

I think you're neglecting several factors, such as the fact that the
result will be released as open source (as Stackless has always been),
the challenge aspect (if I'm really brilliant I can solve this in one
day, and 500 a day is a lot of money if you're living in, say, Estonia),
and the kudos who will accrue to the winner (what a badge, for a young
aspiring star, to claim he got _Tismer_'s money for solving a bug faster
and better than anybody else in the whole world, Tismer included!).

Wish I didn't have the Cookbook's 2nd ed at such a critical stage
(blocked on contributors' permissions, UGH, and requiring lots of time
and non-programming effort to work around the block), plus much else
cooking, or I'd consider taking it up myself (being peeved that I wasn't
listed among Christian's "real hardcore system hackers with many years
of experience" -- well I _do_ have the many years, at least!-)...

Alex

Samir Patel

Michael Ströder said:
Christian said:
[...]

Michael, Money is not a reason one will work on this. Main reward is
stackless 3.1 being released for community. Christian has spend
countless hours for stackless python without getting anything in
return. This time he is too busy to fix problem by himself so he is
asking for help of community and still paying something if one is
succeful in fixing stackless.

I hope in future people will be more respectful to all those heros who
works so much for python community.
Ciao, Michael.

- Samir Patel

Steve Holden

Michael said:
Christian Tismer wrote: [Offer of paid work]

I'm not sure about the exact daily rates for programmers in Berlin but I
would not expect many responses from really skilled people for taking
over a commercial project for such a low payment and additionally taking
the risk that there's no payment at all.

Others have responded adequately to your other points, but I'd like to
mention that I think Christian's standing in the Python community is
such that he's be extremely unlikely to jeopardise it for what is a
fairly trifling amopunt of money.

I hope we'll have the honor of seeing Chris at the next PyCon, my last
as chairman.

regards
Steve

Istvan Albert

Samir said:
I hope in future people will be more respectful to all those heros who
works so much for python community.

Hero or not remains to be seen, but there is nothing
wrong in voicing a contradictory opinion, and
such opinions should never be put down with *patriotic*
arguments as the one above.

Istvan.

Steve Holden

Istvan said:
Hero or not remains to be seen, but there is nothing
wrong in voicing a contradictory opinion, and
such opinions should never be put down with *patriotic*
arguments as the one above.

Istvan.
If only the American presidential election were being conducted in this
spirit ...

regards
Steve

Cliff Wells

For "paid work" it's not even that well paid ;)

Yes, but he's already made a downpayment with his contributions to the
Python interpreter you have installed for free on your system.

$ find Python-2.3.4 -type f -print0 | xargs --null grep -i tismer | wc
--lines
11

$ find Python-2.3.4 -type f -print0 | xargs --null grep -i istvan | wc
--lines
0

$ find Python-2.3.4 -type f -print0 | xargs --null grep -i kostyrka | wc
--lines
0

Interesting.

*plonk* and *plonk*

?

Samir said:
I hope in future people will be more respectful to all those heros who
works so much for python community.

Note that I released code to the public under GPL and Python style license.
So I claim to understand the spirit of OSS and I am respectful to
community-driven OSS development.

Ciao, Michael.

Jarek Zgoda

Cliff Wells said:
Yes, but he's already made a downpayment with his contributions to the
Python interpreter you have installed for free on your system.

$ find Python-2.3.4 -type f -print0 | xargs --null grep -i tismer | wc
--lines
11

$ find Python-2.3.4 -type f -print0 | xargs --null grep -i istvan | wc
--lines
0

$ find Python-2.3.4 -type f -print0 | xargs --null grep -i kostyrka | wc
--lines
0

Interesting.

*plonk* and *plonk*

So I think you deserve one *plonk* more.

Christian Tismer

Andreas said:
For "paid work" it's not even that well paid ;)

Exactly.

I need *one* person who is able to do it in a way that
does not cost him too much time and me too much money.

sorry about my filter techniques -- chris

p.s.: I was again very very busy, but will now get in contact
with the positive responders :)

--
Christian Tismer :^) <mailto:[email protected]>
tismerysoft GmbH : Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
Johannes-Niemeyer-Weg 9A : *Starship* http://starship.python.net/
14109 Berlin : PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/
work +49 30 802 86 56 mobile +49 173 24 18 776 fax +49 30 80 90 57 05

Alex Martelli wrote:
Wish I didn't have the Cookbook's 2nd ed at such a critical stage
(blocked on contributors' permissions, UGH, and requiring lots of time
and non-programming effort to work around the block), plus much else
cooking, or I'd consider taking it up myself (being peeved that I wasn't
listed among Christian's "real hardcore system hackers with many years
of experience" -- well I _do_ have the many years, at least!-)...

Oops! Sorry about that. When I wrote this, I was just thinking of
some attendants of the Stackless sprint who went quite deeply
into the stuff. Thinking of a challenge for students.
Of course that sentence about many years of experience makes
no sense in that context. I guess I was very tired and afraid
of getting too many replies.

Having a company with a larger contract, I saw this as way to
save guys like you and me from a boring debug marathon, because
we have enough different things to do.

Hoping very much to see you on the next pypy sprint -- chris