paper submission and versioning system - advice?

Brian Blais

Hello,

I'd like to find a web-based system to help a committee I'm on, where we receive proposals from different faculty. I wrote something in python, from scratch, a number of years ago because there wasn't anything available then but it is showing its age and I figured that someone has written something.

Essentially I need users to be able to start a proposal, with some basic information, and then be able to add files to it. Other users will be allowed to add files as well, but I'd like to limit deletions to the committee members.

It seems as if there just has to be available tools like this, but I am not even sure what such a system is called. Is there anything like this, in python preferably?

thanks,

Brian Blais

alex23

Essentially I need users to be able to start a proposal, with
some basic information, and then be able to add files to it.
Other users will be allowed to add files as well, but I'd like
to limit deletions to the committee members.
It seems as if there just has to be available tools like this,
but I am not even sure what such a system is called.  Is there
anything like this, in python preferably?

Frankly, I'd start at a much higher level than a web framework. I
think you could easily get what you want from a ticketing system like
Trac: http://trac.edgewall.org/

Trac's tickets would be proposals in your system; I believe you can
attach files to them by default, and even limit the size & type of
attachments. There's a permissions mechanism that would provide your
committee members with higher levels of access. It sits by default on
SVN, so there's your versioning, and provides a wiki, so it's easy to
add supporting documentation to the site. It also provides a very
elegant plug-in system for easy extension, and is all in Python.