    find interesting and write a report on each of them. I already have my
    9 papers selected. Now I want to know if I would like to replace some
    from my collection.
    Rick, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Rick

    Andrew Dalke Guest

    Rick:
    > But then I got thinking. What are the 5 (or 6 or 7 or 10) most seminal
    > papers in the history of Python in the opinion of members of this
    > newgroups?

    - Lutz Prechelt's paper comparing C, C++, Perl, Java, Tcl, Python, and
    a couple more languages, all on the same non-trivial task

    - Greg Stein's paper at the San Jose conference (1998), on how his
    company used Python to make a commercial web app then sold it
    to Microsoft - helped convince me people could make money doing Python

    - not really a paper, but reading through the tutorial and the library
    docs
    back in 1997 were what convinced me that Python was the language for
    me.
    It still took 2 years before I could use it -- too much preexisting Tcl
    and Perl
    code.

    Andrew
    Andrew Dalke, Jul 29, 2003

  3. Rick

    Bryan Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > I have been given an assignment to collect 5 papers on Python and
    > write a report on each of the papers. I went ahead and researched and
    > collected 9 papers; all from the internet with most of them coming
    > from the International Python Conference.
    >
    > But then I got thinking. What are the 5 (or 6 or 7 or 10) most seminal
    > papers in the history of Python in the opinion of members of this
    > newgroups?
    >
    > I might replace all or some of my papers from those suggested by the
    > members on this newsgroup.
    >
    > -RH
    > PS. Before someone starts on how college kids are using the internet
    > (or the help available on the 'net) to do the work for them, No I am
    > not cheating. The actual assignment is to select 9 papers that you
    > find interesting and write a report on each of them. I already have my
    > 9 papers selected. Now I want to know if I would like to replace some
    > from my collection.

    my two personal favorite articles are:

    eric raymond's "why python"

    Python Streamlines Space Shuttle Mission Design
    http://pythonology.org/success&story=usa

    bryan
    Bryan, Jul 29, 2003
  4. (Rick) wrote:

    >PS. Before someone starts on how college kids are using the internet
    >(or the help available on the 'net) to do the work for them, No I am
    >not cheating. The actual assignment is to select 9 papers that you
    >find interesting and write a report on each of them. I already have my
    >9 papers selected. Now I want to know if I would like to replace some
    >from my collection.

    Why not take 9 threads in this newsgroup or the Python developers
    mailing list and write a report on that? Of course you'd have to
    convince your teacher somehow that this is the way things work
    nowadays and that the days where a single author wrote a monolithic
    paper are gone.

    Knowledge production and decision making are much more interactive and
    hands-on than before, and discussions involve a lot more people of
    varying degrees of expertise and having a more diverse background.

    If it makes any difference: I would love to see some threads reviewed,
    especially threads that have had some time to cool down and that can
    be viewed from some distance now. Post the result of your assignment
    here, you'll get free error checking this way and at the same time you
    prove that the system works by interacting with it. Isn't it Pythonic
    :)

    Anton.
    Anton Vredegoor, Jul 29, 2003
  5. Rick

    Bryan Guest

    "Anton Vredegoor" <> wrote in message
    > (Rick) wrote:
    >
    > >PS. Before someone starts on how college kids are using the internet
    > >(or the help available on the 'net) to do the work for them, No I am
    > >not cheating. The actual assignment is to select 9 papers that you
    > >find interesting and write a report on each of them. I already have my
    > >9 papers selected. Now I want to know if I would like to replace some
    > >from my collection.

    > Why not take 9 threads in this newsgroup or the Python developers
    > mailing list and write a report on that? Of course you'd have to
    > convince your teacher somehow that this is the way things work
    > nowadays and that the days where a single author wrote a monolithic
    > paper are gone.
    >
    > Knowledge production and decision making are much more interactive and
    > hands-on than before, and discussions involve a lot more people of
    > varying degrees of expertise and having a more diverse background.
    >
    > If it makes any difference: I would love to see some threads reviewed,
    > especially threads that have had some time to cool down and that can
    > be viewed from some distance now. Post the result of your assignment
    > here, you'll get free error checking this way and at the same time you
    > prove that the system works by interacting with it. Isn't it Pythonic
    > :)
    >
    > Anton.

    anton, excellant idea. here are the most recent 3 threads that contain over
    100 postings... must be good "report material" in these...

    201 postings
    anything like C++ references

    130 postings
    does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe? - has

    130 postings
    opening a text document to show a .txt file through a browser link

    bryan
    Bryan, Jul 29, 2003
  6. In article <bg4mp7$jke$>,
    Andrew Dalke <> wrote:
    >Rick:
    >> But then I got thinking. What are the 5 (or 6 or 7 or 10) most seminal
    >> papers in the history of Python in the opinion of members of this
    >> newgroups?

    > - Lutz Prechelt's paper comparing C, C++, Perl, Java, Tcl, Python, and
    > a couple more languages, all on the same non-trivial task
    >
    > - Greg Stein's paper at the San Jose conference (1998), on how his
    > company used Python to make a commercial web app then sold it
    > to Microsoft - helped convince me people could make money doing Python
    >
    > - not really a paper, but reading through the tutorial and the library
    >docs
    > back in 1997 were what convinced me that Python was the language for
    >me.
    > It still took 2 years before I could use it -- too much preexisting Tcl
    >and Perl
    > code.

    .
    .
    .
    Somewhere between academic papers and Usenet discussions,
    examples of each of which have already been recommended to
    you, are magazine articles. Last millenium, I wrote several
    that *still* appear to attract readers, to my surprise. If
    my e-mail is an apt indication,
    "Python as a First Language"
    www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2000/06/02/magazine/python_first_language.html

    "Getting Started With Python"
    web.archive.org/web/20010201170400/http://www.sunworld.com/sunworldonline/swol-02-1998/swol-02-python.html

    "Batteries Included"
    web.archive.org/web/20001013152452/http://sunworld.com/swol-12-1998/swol-12-regex.html

    are among those influential out of proportion to their artistic
    merit.
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net
    Cameron Laird, Jul 30, 2003
  7. In article <bg4mp7$jke$>,
    Andrew Dalke <> wrote:
    >Rick:
    >> But then I got thinking. What are the 5 (or 6 or 7 or 10) most seminal
    >> papers in the history of Python in the opinion of members of this
    >> newgroups?

    > - Lutz Prechelt's paper comparing C, C++, Perl, Java, Tcl, Python, and
    > a couple more languages, all on the same non-trivial task
    >
    > - Greg Stein's paper at the San Jose conference (1998), on how his
    > company used Python to make a commercial web app then sold it
    > to Microsoft - helped convince me people could make money doing Python
    >
    > - not really a paper, but reading through the tutorial and the library
    >docs
    > back in 1997 were what convinced me that Python was the language for
    >me.
    > It still took 2 years before I could use it -- too much preexisting Tcl
    >and Perl
    > code.

    .
    .
    .

    Cameron Laird, Jul 30, 2003
  8. "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > I have been given an assignment to collect 5 papers on Python and
    > write a report on each of the papers. I went ahead and researched and
    > collected 9 papers; all from the internet with most of them coming
    > from the International Python Conference.
    >
    > But then I got thinking. What are the 5 (or 6 or 7 or 10) most seminal
    > papers in the history of Python in the opinion of members of this
    > newgroups?

    Hmm, do PEPs count as papers? They are generally written by experts,
    are well referenced, have a standardized format, go through peer review,
    have a clear record of their disposition (influence as measured by
    actual implementation), and represent an attempt to keep Python on
    the cutting edge of technology.

    Raymond Hettinger
    Raymond Hettinger, Jul 31, 2003