PAR 0.89 + Socket + ASP 5.8.7 = PL_memory_wrap

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by John Bokma, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    A script consisting of just:

    use Socket 1.3;

    gives the PL_memory_wrap .... perl58.dll message

    C:\Documents and Settings\John\Mis documentos\Amber\Customers\Michael
    Lovelady\DRv1>hello.exe
    Can't load 'C:\DOCUME~1\John\CONFIG~1\Temp\par-John\cache-1121283538
    \6b24f9a6.dll' for module Socket: load_file:No se encontrĀ¾ el proceso es
    pecificado at C:/aperl58/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
    at ../blib/lib/PAR/Heavy.pm line 107
    Compilation failed in require at script/hello.pl line 1.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at script/hello.pl line 1.

    John Bokma, Jul 13, 2005

  2. John Bokma <> wrote in

    > A script consisting of just:
    >
    > use Socket 1.3;
    >
    > gives the PL_memory_wrap .... perl58.dll message
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\John\Mis documentos\Amber\Customers\Michael
    > Lovelady\DRv1>hello.exe
    > Can't load 'C:\DOCUME~1\John\CONFIG~1\Temp\par-John\cache-1121283538
    > \6b24f9a6.dll' for module Socket: load_file:No se encontrĀ¾ el proceso
    > es pecificado at C:/aperl58/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
    > at ../blib/lib/PAR/Heavy.pm line 107
    > Compilation failed in require at script/hello.pl line 1.
    > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at script/hello.pl line 1.

    Well, I had been intending to install PAR anyway, so this provided the
    impetus. There seems to be a problem with ActiveState's servers, so I
    had to self-compile PAR, Parse-Binary, and Win32-Exe.

    Now, I am using the free command line compiler from Microsoft, which
    probably does not match the AS compiler used to compile Perl. I am not
    able to replicate the problem. Here is the info:

    C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> cl
    Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.3077 for
    80x86

    C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> pp -V
    Perl Packager, version 0.12 (PAR version 0.89)

    C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> cat t.pl
    use Socket 1.3;

    C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> cat t.pl
    use Socket 1.3;

    C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> pp -o t.exe t.pl

    C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> t

    C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp>

    Sorry, can't be of more help right now, but let me know if there are
    specific things you'd like me to try.

    BTW, excuse my ignorance, but what is PL_memory_wrap? You do not mention
    it again in the body of your message.

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 13, 2005

  3. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote:

    > Well, I had been intending to install PAR anyway, so this provided the
    > impetus. There seems to be a problem with ActiveState's servers, so I
    > had to self-compile PAR, Parse-Binary, and Win32-Exe.

    PAR is at bribes, but you need to install it "my" way:
    <http://groups-
    beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/tree/browse_frm/thread/c38299089f
    e7c3f5/c6c1808bafa19df7>

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/ ?

    > Sorry, can't be of more help right now,

    You have helped me a lot. I am going to try to do the compile thing
    tomorrow, and let you know if it works. Thanks!

    > BTW, excuse my ignorance, but what is PL_memory_wrap? You do not mention
    > it again in the body of your message.

    I use a Spanish version of XP :-( PL_memory_wrap is an entry point that
    seems to be missing. The English version seems to be:
    "The procedure entry point PL_memory_wrap could not be located in the
    Dynamic link library perl58.dll"

    John Bokma, Jul 14, 2005
  4. John Bokma <> wrote in

    > "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I had been intending to install PAR anyway, so this provided
    >> the impetus. There seems to be a problem with ActiveState's servers,
    >> so I had to self-compile PAR, Parse-Binary, and Win32-Exe.

    > PAR is at bribes, but you need to install it "my" way:
    > <http://groups-
    > beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/tree/browse_frm/thread/
    > c38299089f e7c3f5/c6c1808bafa19df7>

    Well, I'll keep that in mind, but right now, everything seems to be
    fine.

    >> Now, I am using the free command line compiler from Microsoft, which

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/ ?

    Yup, that's it.

    >> Sorry, can't be of more help right now,

    > You have helped me a lot. I am going to try to do the compile thing
    > tomorrow, and let you know if it works. Thanks!

    You are welcome. Let us know how that goes, I am curious.

    >> BTW, excuse my ignorance, but what is PL_memory_wrap? You do not
    >> mention it again in the body of your message.

    > I use a Spanish version of XP :-( PL_memory_wrap is an entry point
    > that seems to be missing. The English version seems to be:
    > "The procedure entry point PL_memory_wrap could not be located in the
    > Dynamic link library perl58.dll"

    Ah! Thanks.

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 14, 2005
  5. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote:

    > John Bokma <> wrote in

    [ Compiling PAR ]

    >> You have helped me a lot. I am going to try to do the compile thing
    >> tomorrow, and let you know if it works. Thanks!

    > You are welcome. Let us know how that goes, I am curious.

    Stuck at:

    main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__strnicmp
    referenced in function ___findenv
    (and several others...)

    I installed the 2003 CLI stuff, and the SDK, but have no idea why I get
    those (OK, there is a library missing, but which one, sounds quite basic).

    I got in the beginning (perl Makefile.PL):

    Note (probably harmless): No library found for odbc32.lib
    Note (probably harmless): No library found for odbccp32.lib
    Note (probably harmless): No library found for msvcrt.lib

    the first two sound harmless to me. Can't remember what msvcrt.lib does
    (IIRC GUI related?)

    John Bokma, Jul 16, 2005
  6. John Bokma

    Ron Savage Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:17:47 +1000, John Bokma wrote:

    Hi John

    > Note (probably harmless): No library found for odbc32.lib Note
    > (probably harmless): No library found for odbccp32.lib Note
    > (probably harmless): No library found for msvcrt.lib
    >
    > the first two sound harmless to me. Can't remember what msvcrt.lib
    > does (IIRC GUI related?)

    msvcrt => MS Visual C++ Run Time, I believe. I.e. fundamental!

    Ron Savage, Jul 16, 2005
  7. John Bokma

    Sisyphus Guest

    "John Bokma" <>

    > Stuck at:
    >
    > main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__strnicmp
    > referenced in function ___findenv
    > (and several others...)

    Looks like that will be fixed when you link to msvcrt.lib

    > I installed the 2003 CLI stuff, and the SDK, but have no idea why I get
    > those (OK, there is a library missing, but which one, sounds quite basic).
    >
    > I got in the beginning (perl Makefile.PL):
    >
    > Note (probably harmless): No library found for odbc32.lib
    > Note (probably harmless): No library found for odbccp32.lib

    Those 2 should be in the PlatformSDK/lib folder. Are they there ? (Doubt
    that these 2 are needed anyway.)

    > Note (probably harmless): No library found for msvcrt.lib

    Should be in your VC7/lib folder. You'll need to link to it. (If you don't
    have it, it will be available somewhere on the MS website.)

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Jul 16, 2005
  8. John Bokma <> wrote in

    > "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Bokma <> wrote in

    > [ Compiling PAR ]
    >
    >>> You have helped me a lot. I am going to try to do the compile thing
    >>> tomorrow, and let you know if it works. Thanks!

    >> You are welcome. Let us know how that goes, I am curious.

    > Stuck at:
    >
    > main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__strnicmp
    > referenced in function ___findenv
    > (and several others...)

    > Note (probably harmless): No library found for msvcrt.lib

    Once you get msvcrt.lib, those should be resolved.

    See also:

    <URL:http://sapdb.2scale.net/moin.cgi/MS_20C_2b_2b_20Toolkit>

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 16, 2005
  9. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote:

    > John Bokma <> wrote in

    >> Note (probably harmless): No library found for msvcrt.lib

    > Once you get msvcrt.lib, those should be resolved.

    The odd thing is, I installed the SDK, and:

    C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib

    *does* have the msvcrt.lib...

    Set Lib=
    C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib;%Lib%

    (one line) solved that problem

    So what I did:

    cd C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
    run Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 Command Prompt

    in this "prompt":

    cd C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Platform SDK
    setenv /XP32 /RETAIL
    cd C:\......\PAR-0.89.tar\PAR-0.89

    Set Lib=
    C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib;%Lib%
    nmake clean
    perl Makefile.PL
    nmake
    nmake install

    And... works!

    Manye thanks Sinan, Ron, and Rob (Sisyphus)

    John Bokma, Jul 18, 2005
  10. Also sprach John Bokma:

    > So what I did:
    >
    > cd C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
    > run Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 Command Prompt
    >
    > in this "prompt":
    >
    > cd C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Platform SDK
    > setenv /XP32 /RETAIL
    > cd C:\......\PAR-0.89.tar\PAR-0.89
    >
    > Set Lib=
    > C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib;%Lib%
    > nmake clean
    > perl Makefile.PL
    > nmake
    > nmake install
    >

    > And... works!

    The Microsoft compiler kid comes with a little batch-file, vcvars32.bat,
    somewhere in the compiler's bin/ directory. If you run this file prior
    to any compilational work, the environment should be set correctly. You
    even need this when using the dedicated Visual C++ command prompt as I
    learnt myself two days ago.

    Tassilo
    --
    use bigint;