PAR and pp problem

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Matthew Braid, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I just installed the PAR-0.75 package from CPAN and while all tests
    passed OK I'm having a few problems.

    It seems the 'parl' script that gets installed with it is munged. When I
    run the following:

    mdb:~/temp> pp -e 'print "HELLO!\n"' -o hello

    I get:

    /usr/local/bin/parl: FILE837fb41f/PAR.pmH#line: not found
    /usr/local/bin/parl: 80: Syntax error: ";" unexpected

    I checked the parl script and the first two lines were some kind of
    garbage. I removed them and added '#!/usr/local/bin/perl' and now I get:

    Unrecognized character \x15 at /usr/local/bin/parl line 436.

    Line 436 is in the middle of a comment.

    I've reinstalled just in case and the same thing happened. Anyone see
    this before or know how to fix it? I'll try the previous version if this
    one is bad.

    TIA,
    MB

    Matthew Braid, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Just a little more info...

    I just tried the previous version (0.74) and got the same problem.

    I looked further into the parl script and found more lines that had
    garbage like:

    FILE^@^@^U4c1372fb/PAR/Heavy.pm^@^@N2#line 1 "../blib/lib/PAR/Heavy.pm"

    (or something similar - the file names change)

    Commenting out these lines results in:

    Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
    /usr/local/bin/parl line 43.
    Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
    /usr/local/bin/parl line 43.
    Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
    /usr/local/bin/parl line 70.
    Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
    /usr/local/bin/parl line 74.
    Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
    /usr/local/bin/parl line 85.
    Global symbol "%FullCache" requires explicit package name at
    /usr/local/bin/parl line 94.
    Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
    /usr/local/bin/parl line 95.
    Global symbol "%FullCache" requires explicit package name at
    /usr/local/bin/parl line 95.
    BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/parl
    line 175

    In case its important, perl -V gives:

    Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 1) configuration:
    Platform:
    osname=freebsd, osvers=4.8-release, archname=i386-freebsd-64int
    uname='freebsd app 4.8-release freebsd 4.8-release #1: thu may 1
    12:03:49 est 2003 root@app:usrobjusrsrcsysapp i386 '
    config_args='-Accflags=-DAPPLLIB_EXP=\"/usr/local/lib/perl-local\"'
    usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
    usemultiplicity=undef
    useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
    Compiler:
    cc='cc', ccflags ='-DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H
    -DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl-local" -fno-strict-aliasing
    -I/usr/local/include',
    optimize='-O',
    cppflags='-DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H
    -DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl-local" -fno-strict-aliasing
    -I/usr/local/include'
    ccversion='', gccversion='2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]', gccosandvers=''
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
    ivtype='long long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8,
    Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
    alignbytes=4, prototype=define
    Linker and Libraries:
    ld='cc', ldflags ='-Wl,-E -L/usr/local/lib'
    libpth=/usr/lib /usr/local/lib
    libs=-lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc
    perllibs=-lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc
    libc=, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
    gnulibc_version=''
    Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
    cccdlflags='-DPIC -fPIC', lddlflags='-shared -L/usr/local/lib'

    Compile-time options: USE_64_BIT_INT USE_LARGE_FILES
    Built under freebsd
    Compiled at Oct 15 2003 16:59:35
    @INC:
    /usr/local/lib/perl-local
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.1/i386-freebsd-64int
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.1
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-freebsd-64int

    Matthew Braid, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Matthew Braid

    Sisyphus Guest

    Matthew Braid wrote:
    > Just a little more info...
    >
    > I just tried the previous version (0.74) and got the same problem.

    [snip]

    > In case its important, perl -V gives:
    >
    > Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 1) configuration:
    > Platform:
    > osname=freebsd, osvers=4.8-release, archname=i386-freebsd-64int
    > uname='freebsd app 4.8-release freebsd 4.8-release #1: thu may 1

    Might be a freebsd-specific issue.
    Best, imho, to post par questions to the par mailing list (see
    http://lists.perl.org) - where you're sure to grab the attention of the
    author. (I'm not saying that you definitely won't get quality help here,
    however :)

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Matthew Braid

    Sisyphus Guest

    The Mosquito ScriptKiddiot wrote:
    > IMO the executables par produces are waaay too big
    >

    > --The Mosquito Scriptkiddiot.
    > "Those who dance are often considered crazy by those who can't hear the music"

    With faster internet connections and larger hard drives the size thing
    is not always a major concern. And par is just so convenient (when it
    works :)

    It just needs the right marketing:
    "Folks, why settle for cheap lightweight imitations when my par-built
    executable (25 times bigger, but only double the price) does exactly the
    same job .... with *real* grunt!!"

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Matthew Braid

    Sam Holden Guest

    On 21 Oct 2003 05:12:48 GMT,
    The Mosquito ScriptKiddiot <> wrote:
    > IMO the executables par produces are waaay too big

    Feel free to fix that and submit a patch.

    --
    Sam Holden

    Sam Holden, Oct 21, 2003