PAR and pp problem

Matthew Braid

Hi all,

I just installed the PAR-0.75 package from CPAN and while all tests
passed OK I'm having a few problems.

It seems the 'parl' script that gets installed with it is munged. When I
run the following:

mdb:~/temp> pp -e 'print "HELLO!\n"' -o hello

I get:

/usr/local/bin/parl: FILE837fb41f/PAR.pmH#line: not found
/usr/local/bin/parl: 80: Syntax error: ";" unexpected

I checked the parl script and the first two lines were some kind of
garbage. I removed them and added '#!/usr/local/bin/perl' and now I get:

Unrecognized character \x15 at /usr/local/bin/parl line 436.

Line 436 is in the middle of a comment.

I've reinstalled just in case and the same thing happened. Anyone see
this before or know how to fix it? I'll try the previous version if this
one is bad.

TIA,
MB

Matthew Braid

Just a little more info...

I just tried the previous version (0.74) and got the same problem.

I looked further into the parl script and found more lines that had
garbage like:

FILE^@^@^U4c1372fb/PAR/Heavy.pm^@^@N2#line 1 "../blib/lib/PAR/Heavy.pm"

(or something similar - the file names change)

Commenting out these lines results in:

Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
/usr/local/bin/parl line 43.
Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
/usr/local/bin/parl line 43.
Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
/usr/local/bin/parl line 70.
Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
/usr/local/bin/parl line 74.
Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
/usr/local/bin/parl line 85.
Global symbol "%FullCache" requires explicit package name at
/usr/local/bin/parl line 94.
Global symbol "%DLCache" requires explicit package name at
/usr/local/bin/parl line 95.
Global symbol "%FullCache" requires explicit package name at
/usr/local/bin/parl line 95.
BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/parl
line 175

In case its important, perl -V gives:

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 1) configuration:
Platform:
osname=freebsd, osvers=4.8-release, archname=i386-freebsd-64int
uname='freebsd app 4.8-release freebsd 4.8-release #1: thu may 1
12:03:49 est 2003 root@app:usrobjusrsrcsysapp i386 '
config_args='-Accflags=-DAPPLLIB_EXP=\"/usr/local/lib/perl-local\"'
usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
usemultiplicity=undef
useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
Compiler:
cc='cc', ccflags ='-DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H
-DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl-local" -fno-strict-aliasing
-I/usr/local/include',
optimize='-O',
cppflags='-DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H
-DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl-local" -fno-strict-aliasing
-I/usr/local/include'
ccversion='', gccversion='2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]', gccosandvers=''
intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678
d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
ivtype='long long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8,
Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
alignbytes=4, prototype=define
Linker and Libraries:
ld='cc', ldflags ='-Wl,-E -L/usr/local/lib'
libpth=/usr/lib /usr/local/lib
libs=-lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc
perllibs=-lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc
libc=, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
gnulibc_version=''
Dynamic Linking:
dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
cccdlflags='-DPIC -fPIC', lddlflags='-shared -L/usr/local/lib'

Compile-time options: USE_64_BIT_INT USE_LARGE_FILES
Built under freebsd
Compiled at Oct 15 2003 16:59:35
@INC:
/usr/local/lib/perl-local
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.1/i386-freebsd-64int
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.1
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-freebsd-64int
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl

Sisyphus

Matthew said:
Just a little more info...

I just tried the previous version (0.74) and got the same problem.
[snip]

In case its important, perl -V gives:

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 1) configuration:
Platform:
osname=freebsd, osvers=4.8-release, archname=i386-freebsd-64int
uname='freebsd app 4.8-release freebsd 4.8-release #1: thu may 1

Might be a freebsd-specific issue.
Best, imho, to post par questions to the par mailing list (see
http://lists.perl.org) - where you're sure to grab the attention of the
author. (I'm not saying that you definitely won't get quality help here,
however :)

Cheers,
Rob

Sisyphus

The said:
IMO the executables par produces are waaay too big

--The Mosquito Scriptkiddiot.
"Those who dance are often considered crazy by those who can't hear the music"

With faster internet connections and larger hard drives the size thing
is not always a major concern. And par is just so convenient (when it
works :)

It just needs the right marketing:
"Folks, why settle for cheap lightweight imitations when my par-built
executable (25 times bigger, but only double the price) does exactly the
same job .... with *real* grunt!!"

Cheers,
Rob