    On my previous machine, I had Activeperl 5.8.7 and PAR installed and
    the pp command worked fine.

    What might I be missing?

    Jakanapes, Sep 8, 2006

  2. Jakanapes

    Guest

    Jakanapes wrote:

    > I'm using Activeperl 5.8.8.819 and tried using PAR .952, however from
    > the command line, I'm getting "'pp' is not recognized as an internal or
    > external command..."
    >
    > What might I be missing?

    It's hard to say for sure, but are you sure you installed PAR? If
    you aren't sure, this command will install it for you (it will let you
    know if it's already installed):

    ppm install PAR

    If it complains that the Module::ScanDeps module is missing, you can
    easily install it with the command:

    ppm install Module-ScanDeps

    Once installation is successful, see if you can compile scripts. If
    you still can't, I would think that the "pp.bat" file you need isn't in
    your %PATH% environment variable.

    To verify this, go to your Perl's bin directory (it might be
    "C:\Perl\bin") and look for a file named "pp.bat". Is it there? If it
    is, then you probably don't have the Perl bin directory in your %PATH%.
    Type "echo %PATH%" to see the directories in your path to verify that
    the directory is indeed not in your path. If it really isn't in your
    path, then you must add it. There are different ways of adding it to
    your path (some of which depend on your flavor of Windows), so you
    don't know how to do it, you'll have to search around and see how to do
    it for your particular OS.

    If, on the other hand, the "pp.bat" file isn't in Perl's bin
    directory, then PAR probably didn't install correctly. You might want
    to "Search" your hard drive(s) for the "pp.bat" file in case it was
    copied to the wrong place.

    It's kind of hard to troubleshoot this problem remotely, so this is
    all the advice I can give you for now. I hope it helps.

    -- Jean-Luc

    --
    perl -le "print(pack'B*','0'.unpack'B*',pack'w*',
    5592691776,37562575106519616,8746773568,354130435682904)"

    , Sep 8, 2006

  3. Jakanapes

    Guest

    Jakanapes schrieb:
    > I'm a relative newbie to perl and I'm having some trouble creating a
    > standalone executable using PAR.
    >
    > I'm using Activeperl 5.8.8.819 and tried using PAR .952, however from
    > the command line, I'm getting "'pp' is not recognized as an internal or
    > external command..."
    >
    > On my previous machine, I had Activeperl 5.8.7 and PAR installed and
    > the pp command worked fine.
    >

    > What might I be missing?

    Make sure you have PAR installed correctly. To verify that there is a
    PAR.pm at all, you can run this:

    perl -MPAR -e "print PAR->VERSION.qq{\n};"

    It should print 0.952 if you have the most current version of PAR.

    Now for the pp utility that comes with PAR. As another poster
    suggested, try searching your hard drive for pp.bat. Perhaps also try
    pp.pl or just pp.
    If it's found, try adding the directory that contains it to your PATH
    enviromnent variable.

    Moreover, it might be a little problematic to install PAR via ppm. In
    particular, if you want to do that, I suggest installing not from the
    ActiveState default repository but from the bribes.org ppm repository
    which is very good at staying up to date.

    For more details, please have a look at the PAR homepage at
    http://par.perl.org

    Best regards,
    Steffen Müller

    , Sep 10, 2006
  4. Jakanapes

    Jakanapes Guest

    wrote:
    > Jakanapes schrieb:
    > > I'm a relative newbie to perl and I'm having some trouble creating a
    > > standalone executable using PAR.
    > >
    > > I'm using Activeperl 5.8.8.819 and tried using PAR .952, however from
    > > the command line, I'm getting "'pp' is not recognized as an internal or
    > > external command..."
    > >
    > > On my previous machine, I had Activeperl 5.8.7 and PAR installed and
    > > the pp command worked fine.
    > >

    > > What might I be missing?

    > Make sure you have PAR installed correctly. To verify that there is a
    > PAR.pm at all, you can run this:
    >
    > perl -MPAR -e "print PAR->VERSION.qq{\n};"
    >
    > It should print 0.952 if you have the most current version of PAR.
    >
    > Now for the pp utility that comes with PAR. As another poster
    > suggested, try searching your hard drive for pp.bat. Perhaps also try
    > pp.pl or just pp.
    > If it's found, try adding the directory that contains it to your PATH
    > enviromnent variable.
    >
    > Moreover, it might be a little problematic to install PAR via ppm. In
    > particular, if you want to do that, I suggest installing not from the
    > ActiveState default repository but from the bribes.org ppm repository
    > which is very good at staying up to date.
    >
    > For more details, please have a look at the PAR homepage at
    > http://par.perl.org
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Steffen Müller

    I did get 0.952 from the MPAR command, but I can't find pp.bat
    anywhere. Thanks for the help....

    Jakanapes, Sep 11, 2006