PAR gone?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by John Bokma, Oct 10, 2005.

  1. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Oct 10, 2005

    I think http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/PAR/ or
    http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/PAR/lib/PAR.pm would be correct.

    --
    Darren Dunham
    Darren Dunham, Oct 10, 2005

  3. John Bokma

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "John Bokma" <> wrote in message
    > http://par.perl.org/
    >
    > First of all, I am not going into how braindead and clueless someone must
    > be who develops software and comes up with a shitty story like "My machine
    > crashed".

    <quote>
    This machine suffered a catastrophic hardware failure...
    </quote>

    Why the venom, were you looking for his life story?

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Oct 10, 2005
  4. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    "Matt Garrish" <> wrote:

    > "John Bokma" <> wrote in message
    >> http://par.perl.org/
    >>
    >> First of all, I am not going into how braindead and clueless someone
    >> must be who develops software and comes up with a shitty story like
    >> "My machine crashed".
    >>

    > <quote>
    > This machine suffered a catastrophic hardware failure...
    > </quote>
    >
    > Why the venom, were you looking for his life story?

    par.perl.org, I mean, not some home page at geocities. There was a wiki and
    a lot of info. Gone? To me that looks extremely stupid to say the least.

    I ploink googlegroups.com :)
    John Bokma, Oct 11, 2005
  5. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    Darren Dunham <> wrote:

    > John Bokma <> wrote:
    >> http://par.perl.org/

    >> First of all, I am not going into how braindead and clueless someone
    >> must be who develops software and comes up with a shitty story like
    >> "My machine crashed".

    >> Anyway:
    >> http://web.archive.org/web/20041012035744/par.perl.org/index.cgi
    >> seems to be *the* place for PAR right now?

    > I think http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/PAR/ or
    > http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/PAR/lib/PAR.pm would be correct.

    Yup, but an "entire" wiki is gone :-(

    I ploink googlegroups.com :)
    John Bokma, Oct 11, 2005
  6. John Bokma

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "John Bokma" <> wrote in message
    > "Matt Garrish" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "John Bokma" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://par.perl.org/
    >>>
    >>> First of all, I am not going into how braindead and clueless someone
    >>> must be who develops software and comes up with a shitty story like
    >>> "My machine crashed".
    >>>

    >> <quote>
    >> This machine suffered a catastrophic hardware failure...
    >> </quote>
    >>
    >> Why the venom, were you looking for his life story?

    > par.perl.org, I mean, not some home page at geocities. There was a wiki
    > and
    > a lot of info. Gone? To me that looks extremely stupid to say the least.

    Maybe you know something I don't (which is entirely possible), but how do
    you know it's all gone? Catastrophic hardware failures do happen. The
    company I recently left lost their entire mail server raid array one
    weekend. Shit happens. If you're complaining that it wasn't instantly put
    back up online, I imagine it's because no one is being paid to keep it
    online (plus I'm sure it will take some time to reconfigure the applications
    and get the data back up).

    Considering that you seem to need this information quite badly, I can't help
    but remark again that it's rather unfair of you to call the person who has
    been maintaining the site for you all this time braindead because it went
    down. You're not entitled to anything on the internet, after all.

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Oct 11, 2005
  7. John Bokma

    Todd W Guest

    "John Bokma" <> wrote in message
    > http://par.perl.org/
    >
    > First of all, I am not going into how braindead and clueless someone must
    > be who develops software and comes up with a shitty story like "My machine
    > crashed".
    >
    > Anyway: http://web.archive.org/web/20041012035744/par.perl.org/index.cgi
    > seems to be *the* place for PAR right now?

    You can use the wayback machine to browse defunct web sites:

    http://www.archive.org/

    Here is the par site:

    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://par.perl.org/

    Todd W.
    Todd W, Oct 11, 2005
  8. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    "Matt Garrish" <> wrote:

    > "John Bokma" <> wrote in message
    >> "Matt Garrish" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "John Bokma" <> wrote in message

    >>> <quote>
    >>> This machine suffered a catastrophic hardware failure...
    >>> </quote>
    >>>
    >>> Why the venom, were you looking for his life story?

    >> par.perl.org, I mean, not some home page at geocities. There was a
    >> wiki and
    >> a lot of info. Gone? To me that looks extremely stupid to say the
    >> least.
    >>

    > Maybe you know something I don't (which is entirely possible), but how
    > do you know it's all gone?

    "but data previously stored here may be gone permanently."

    Don't you think that restoring a back up is less work compared to
    writing such a message?

    > Catastrophic hardware failures do happen.

    Sure, that's why I make back ups.

    > The company I recently left lost their entire mail server raid array
    > one weekend. Shit happens. If you're complaining that it wasn't
    > instantly put back up online, I imagine it's because no one is being
    > paid to keep it online (plus I'm sure it will take some time to
    > reconfigure the applications and get the data back up).
    >
    > Considering that you seem to need this information quite badly, I
    > can't help but remark again that it's rather unfair of you to call the
    > person who has been maintaining the site for you all this time
    > braindead because it went down.

    It was a wiki. I consider it quite braindead if you manage to "may" lose
    data created online by several people.

    > You're not entitled to anything on the
    > internet, after all.

    If it was a homepage @ geocities, ok. But a part of perl.org, no way,
    IMO that is.

    I ploink googlegroups.com :)
    John Bokma, Oct 11, 2005
  9. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    "Todd W" <> wrote:

    > "John Bokma" <> wrote in message
    >> http://par.perl.org/
    >>
    >> First of all, I am not going into how braindead and clueless someone
    >> must be who develops software and comes up with a shitty story like
    >> "My machine crashed".
    >>
    >> Anyway:
    >> http://web.archive.org/web/20041012035744/par.perl.org/index.cgi
    >> seems to be *the* place for PAR right now?
    >>

    > You can use the wayback machine to browse defunct web sites:
    >
    > http://www.archive.org/
    >
    > Here is the par site:
    >
    > http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://par.perl.org/

    Yes, done that already, but it's quite outdated. Anyway, I managed to
    install PAR (which somehow is a miracle in itself). I hope that the wiki
    can be restored, even if it's partially from the wayback machine.

    I ploink googlegroups.com :)
    John Bokma, Oct 11, 2005