PAR, pp and script packing

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Asier, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. Asier

    Asier Guest

    Hi:

    i have developed an applicattion in perl.

    The problem i have, is that when i pack it normally with pp, and try
    to use it in another different box( packed in redhat 9, fails in
    mandrake 9), it gives me an error (icsh_len). I suppose that this
    happends due to XS modules, becouse of the other modules i am using in
    my script ... So i found in par's documentation that i could pack with
    --multiarch option, and that implies -p (Create PAR archives only; do
    not package to a standalone binary.).

    But it is in this point where my mind gets confused. What can i do, if
    i want to distribute my applicattion, accross any *linux* box, with
    the modules i have downloaded and installed in my box?

    What is the best way to pack in order to distribute my app, without
    having to pack more things than necessary (supposing that standard
    perl is installed in other possible linux boxes) and taking as less
    space as possible?

    i do not mind if it is a self standalone executable other a perl
    archive with .par archives (supposing in this last case that par is
    NOT installed in the other machines)

    Thank you very very much
    (i have posted this in comp.lang.perl.modules also)

    Asier, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Asier

    Joe Smith Guest

    Asier wrote:

    > But it is in this point where my mind gets confused. What can i do, if
    > i want to distribute my applicattion, accross any *linux* box, with
    > the modules i have downloaded and installed in my box?

    If you're going to include a compiled binary, you'll have to warn the
    end users that "this will only run on Linux systems with glib-1.2"
    or "glib2-2.2" or "glibc-2.3.2". That's just one of the things that
    frustrate binary compatibility across Linux distributions.

    Maximum portability = compile on target machine.
    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Apr 27, 2004