Parallel port interface

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jorge Godoy, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. Jorge Godoy

    Jorge Godoy Guest

    [I've posted this to the ttor mailing list as well. Sorry for whom receive
    it twice.]

    Hi!

    We're doing a research project that involves controlling mini-windtrap
    speeds and we're reading/writing data from the parallel port.

    What I've found so far on a fast Google search for "python parallel port"
    showed me some stuff that I'd have to interface with Python through SWIG.

    If the program could be portable in Windows and Linux it would be a big
    plus. We're thinking --- if it can't be written entirely in Python or with
    modules that already have binaries for Windows --- in using a Linux only
    approach (we, the programmers, use Linux only).

    Any hints for modules I should take a look at?

    TIA,
    --
    Godoy. <>
    Jorge Godoy, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Jorge Godoy

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Jorge Godoy wrote:

    > We're doing a research project that involves controlling mini-windtrap
    > speeds and we're reading/writing data from the parallel port.
    >
    > What I've found so far on a fast Google search for "python parallel port"
    > showed me some stuff that I'd have to interface with Python through SWIG.
    >
    > If the program could be portable in Windows and Linux it would be a big
    > plus. We're thinking --- if it can't be written entirely in Python or with
    > modules that already have binaries for Windows --- in using a Linux only
    > approach (we, the programmers, use Linux only).
    >
    > Any hints for modules I should take a look at?

    http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/pyparallel.html might work. Says
    "This module is still under developement. But it may be useful for
    developers."

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Jorge Godoy

    Jorge Godoy Guest

    On Seg 26 Abr 2004 00:03, Peter Hansen wrote:

    > http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/pyparallel.html might work. Says
    > "This module is still under developement. But it may be useful for
    > developers."

    You see... I must be blind or something like that :)

    I was at the pyserial website but didn't see this.

    Thanks!

    --
    Godoy. <>
    Jorge Godoy, Apr 26, 2004
  4. Jorge Godoy

    Les Smithson Guest

    Les Smithson, Apr 28, 2004
  5. Les Smithson <> wrote in

    > Would ioport.py help? See:
    > http://www.hare.demon.co.uk/ioport/ioport.html.
    >
    > Its Linux only atm, but it wouldn't be hard to port to Windows. I
    > might even do it myself!

    you need to make a compiled extension with the inb and outb functions. i
    have done that for pyparallel. thats the easy part, then you have to find a
    driver that allows io port access on win NT/2k/XP. i used giveio.sys and
    you'll find it on the page below too.

    http://pyserial.sf.net/pyparallel.html

    chris

    --