Parallel setup of Java and PHP frameworks/servers?

Karsten Wutzke

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out whether it is possible to set up two
webservers/containers/etc. for one domain, so that

seam.domain.com

and

zend.domain.com

would lead to two different implementations of the basically *same*
website. This website is meant for demonstration purposes only. Both
probably use the same CSS/JS and definitely the same database. I want
to show that I can program both JBoss Seam and Zend Framework.

Is such a setup possible? Does anyone know of a tutorial? Any less
complicated solutions?

Karsten

C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out whether it is possible to set up two
webservers/containers/etc. for one domain, so that

seam.domain.com

and

zend.domain.com

.... that's 2 domains.
would lead to two different implementations of the basically *same*
website. This website is meant for demonstration purposes only. Both
probably use the same CSS/JS and definitely the same database. I want
to show that I can program both JBoss Seam and Zend Framework.

But not demonstrate that you know how to configure such a setup?

It rather depends what you mean by "the same CSS/JS". If you reference
any java/php urls in the JS/CSS then you will have to use seperate
domains with relative links (or have the static content in a directory
mapped under both vhosts). If not, there's no need for seperate
domains. It's probably simplest if you seperate the directory trees
for the static content, PHP and Java. Beyond that its simply a matter
of following the instructions for setting up Java, then following the
instructions for setting up PHP.

C.

Jerry Stuckle

Karsten said:
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out whether it is possible to set up two
webservers/containers/etc. for one domain, so that

seam.domain.com

and

zend.domain.com

would lead to two different implementations of the basically *same*
website. This website is meant for demonstration purposes only. Both
probably use the same CSS/JS and definitely the same database. I want
to show that I can program both JBoss Seam and Zend Framework.

Is such a setup possible? Does anyone know of a tutorial? Any less
complicated solutions?

Karsten

Try an Apache newsgroup.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Arne Vajhøj

Karsten said:
I'm trying to figure out whether it is possible to set up two
webservers/containers/etc. for one domain, so that

seam.domain.com

and

zend.domain.com

would lead to two different implementations of the basically *same*
website. This website is meant for demonstration purposes only. Both
probably use the same CSS/JS and definitely the same database. I want
to show that I can program both JBoss Seam and Zend Framework.

Is such a setup possible? Does anyone know of a tutorial? Any less
complicated solutions?

It should not be a problem.

Apache HTTPD in front
virtual hosts for the two hostnames
mod_php to run PHP for the one hostname
mod_jk to connect to JBoss (or other server)
JBoss run the Java web app
PHP code and Java code access the same database (look out for cache!)
the static content is either copied or linked across sites

Arne

Logos

Definitely possible. The setup depends on a huge number of variables
(host operating system? web server type? hosting limitations? etc).

I would have the two subdomains resolve to two different directories
on my webserver, and they can include files as they need to from other
directories (perhaps having the other mutual directories as virtual
subdirectories on the main directories for ease of use)

Karsten Wutzke

Definitely possible.  The setup depends on a huge number of variables
(host operating system? web server type? hosting limitations? etc).

I would have the two subdomains resolve to two different directories
on my webserver, and they can include files as they need to from other
directories (perhaps having the other mutual directories as virtual
subdirectories on the main directories for ease of use)

Thanks all for your answers. I'm delighted to hear it's not that much
of a technical problem in general, only with me and hosting. Does a
regularly available virtual server solution do the trick? Do I have to
manage that myself? I do need a special PHP version, so I need to be
able to control that or at least pay for having it installed on my
server (it's about PHP 5.3 beta which I need). I don't have much
experience with web hosters.

Do I need a rather Java-oriented hoster which can integrate PHP easily
or do I look for a PHP oriented hoster that adds the Java stuff?

Karsten

Karsten Wutzke

Do I need a rather Java-oriented hoster which can integrate PHP easily
or do I look for a PHP oriented hoster that adds the Java stuff?

Karsten

Is there a difference at all?

Karsten

Arne Vajhøj

Karsten said:
Is there a difference at all?

You need a hoster that supports both the environments.

You will need to dig deep to find one.

But if you host yourself then it will be easy.

Arne