parameter vs argument

John W. Kennedy

Travis said:
I had never thought about how a Brit might think Americans take Monty
Python. It's not at all uncommon at a gathering/cocktail party for a
group of men (never women that I've seen) take some topic and twist it
into some MP skit or movie scene.

MP fans I know seem to cut their teeth on Holy Grail or Meaning of Life
before fully appreciating Life of Brian or episodes of MP's Flying
Circus. (Never saw Jabberwocky.)

Anyway, "Monty Python" is too easy. I know people, fellow Yanks, who can
jump straight into "The Frog and Peach", taking either side.

Some of us can even do, "Eccles, what time is it?"

John W. Kennedy

Lew said:
I remember how impressed I was that /Matching Tie and Handkerchief/ was
a 3-sided LP pressed onto a single disc of vinyl.

We had a 12-sided LP by Henny Youngman when I was a kid. Six sides were
a horse race and the other six sides were a car race. You could bet on it.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The pathetic hope that the White House will turn a Caligula into a

Sherman Pendley

Andrew Thompson said:
But I am surprised that ..an *American* * would have
such arcane knowledge of Monty Python!

Back in the 70s, the PBS here in the US used to rebroadcast several hours
of BBC programming each week. Even living on a farm in the sticks, I still
got to see Monty Python, Doctor Who, The Prisoner, Hitch Hiker's Guide to
the Galaxy (TV & radio versions), and others.

sherm--

Roedy Green

Back in the 70s, the PBS here in the US used to rebroadcast several hours
of BBC programming each week. Even living on a farm in the sticks, I still
got to see Monty Python, Doctor Who, The Prisoner, Hitch Hiker's Guide to
the Galaxy (TV & radio versions), and others.

A guy named Sandy Middleton lived in our house back in the 70s. He
claimed he did some writing for the Pythons. He kept me howling with
his practical jokes.

We did a series of Pythonesque sketches about gay lib and put them on
industrial strength telephone answering machine than ran night and day
solidly.

Andrew Thompson

Travis said:
I had never thought about how a Brit might think Americans take Monty
Python. ...

Keep thinking. I'm an 'Aussie'. ;-)

And in response to the comment by another person to the
effect that MP fans are considered slightly 'off-beat' in
America - I can confirm the same is true in Australia, at
the very least.

Lew

Wildemar said:
Not a Star Trek quote.

Probably the most common /Star Trek/ misquote, and one of the more common
misquotes out there. As a misquote, it's up there with "Play it again, Sam,"
not actually from /Casablanca/.

Eric Sosman

Andrew said:
Thanks! That is much more validation than any ..
<dws>Google groups 'rating'</dws>.

But I am surprised that ..an *American* * would have
such arcane knowledge of Monty Python! It is good
to post to these international newsgroups, if only to
dispell such 'colloquial myths'!

* My apologies for my amazement, but I thought Monty
Python's appeal was limited to those English speaking
countries that were 'not America'. I had suspected the
MP humor to be 'beyond them' ( thank you for pointing
out the - ..naivety of my ways ;).

Monty Python is in fact beyond the grasp of Americans.
But our fingernails scrape up a little of the varnish as
we grasp desperately for the prize just out of our reach,
and the gunk under our nails is so much more entertaining
than any local product that we think we've seen the joke.

Spam (ha-ha!) Spam (hee-hee!) Spam (ho-ho-ho!) Spam
(Why do I feel hungry?) Fish-slapping dance? (Hunh? Oh,
right: The fish is made of Spam! Hahahahahaha!)

Eric Sosman

John said:
Anyway, "Monty Python" is too easy. I know people, fellow Yanks, who can
jump straight into "The Frog and Peach", taking either side.

Some of us can even do, "Eccles, what time is it?"

... and here is a photograph of me saying it. Ying-tong
iddle-eye-poh!

Ben Phillips

Lew said:
Probably the most common /Star Trek/ misquote, and one of the more
common misquotes out there. As a misquote, it's up there with "Play it
again, Sam," not actually from /Casablanca/.

Let's not forget "What are you doing, Dave?" ...

Joined
Oct 17, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
A parameter is a variable declared in the function or method (depends on the programming language) definition. An argument is an expression that is passed to the function or method in place of a parameter. When a function or method is invoked, all of the parameters of the function or method are created as variables, and the value or reference of the arguments are passed (as value or reference) into the parameters.