parameterized sql...dbnull value?

darrel

I should know this, but I don't...

How do I enter a null value in an integer field using parameterized SQL?

I have this:

Dim bonding2ID As Integer
If cleanSQLinput(DropDownList_bondingCo2.SelectedItem.Value.ToString) =
"none" Then
bonding2ID = DBNull.Value
Else
bonding2ID =
cleanSQLinput(DropDownList_bondingCo2.SelectedItem.Value.ToString)
End If

But it's not liking the 'DBNull.Value' part.

-Darrel

Win prizes searching google:
http://www.blingo.com/friends?ref=hM72-GU3FWzMFnTqhv-2GE1FNtA

Bharathi Kumar

Hi,
I think u r corret.

Try System.DbNull.Value to store a NULL value.

Regards,
Bharti Kumar.

Karl Seguin [MVP]

There's no easy way...you can use a nullable type in 2.0, but that only gets
you 1/2 way there anyways.

Write it as a method that returns an object *shrug*

function GetBondId() as object
if BLAH
return DBNull.Value
end if
return cleanSQLinput(BLAHx)
end function

Karl

Karl Seguin [MVP]

his problem is assigning DBNull.Value to an integer...which you can't.

Karl

darrel

There's no easy way...

Damn.
function GetBondId() as object
if BLAH
return DBNull.Value
end if
return cleanSQLinput(BLAHx)
end function

So, I'm basically just returning two different types of objects? I'll give
that a shot.

Out of curiosity, what kind of object DOES accept null values?

-Darrel

Karl Seguin [MVP]

System.Object is the only one I know about. Even Nullable types in 2.0 don't
natively support a database's NULL value (which makes this pretty useless)

Karl

Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Re : parameterized sql...dbnull value?

Hi,
Try to use DbNull.Value near parameter.It might work

ex :
if(txtName.Text != " ")
{
@Name,SqlDbType.VarChar