parameters for Routability estimation and analysis during RTL stages of the design.

santhosh

Hello,

I would like to know if we can identify RTL constructs and architectures
which can cause routability problems early in the design cycle. If there are
some common parameters which could be identified, these could be used for
physical feasibility studies.

I request any one you point me to some of the earlier work carried out
in this area.

Thanks
Santhosh

Mike Treseler

santhosh said:
I would like to know if we can identify RTL constructs and architectures
which can cause routability problems early in the design cycle. If there are
some common parameters which could be identified, these could be used for
physical feasibility studies.

The only sensitivity of routing to HDL style that I have
seen involves initializing large registers with a global
reset signal.

With some devices, it is not possible to route
a global reset signal for the purpose
of large register initialization.
However, if I code such an synchronously, all is well.

Consider making a prototype of large register
and block memory inferences.

The most important factors for reducing risk
have nothing to do with synthesis or routing.
It is setting up your front end tools for
a quick edit/compile/simulate cycle and
setting up a cvs repository for shared files.

-- Mike Treseler