    --
    Cliff
    , May 15, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > I'm not up on this subject as much as many, so
    > what I want to know is just HOW all these damn
    > ads (standard popup, and the ones that use Messenger)
    > actually get to my computer?

    Generally through one of two ways:

    (1) A website you visit has advertising on it, and you either don't have a
    popup blocker or they are hacking their way around it with onclick events,
    Flash or some other silly technique.

    (2) You have malware installed on your computer. Most likely through either
    installing dodgy downloaded software, or using Microsoft's Internet
    Explorer web browser (quite likely without keeping upto date with security
    releases). You can scan for such software with a tool like AdAware.

    > Is my ISP to blame at all.

    Probably not. Most ISPs are pretty good about not installing junk on end
    users computers.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, May 15, 2005

  3. Randy Webb Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I'm not up on this subject as much as many, so
    >>what I want to know is just HOW all these damn
    >>ads (standard popup, and the ones that use Messenger)
    >>actually get to my computer?

    > Generally through one of two ways:
    >
    > (1) A website you visit has advertising on it, and you either don't have a
    > popup blocker or they are hacking their way around it with onclick events,
    > Flash or some other silly technique.
    >
    > (2) You have malware installed on your computer. Most likely through either
    > installing dodgy downloaded software, or using Microsoft's Internet
    > Explorer web browser (quite likely without keeping upto date with security
    > releases). You can scan for such software with a tool like AdAware.
    >
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

    (3) The MS devised idea of messages (not real popups but nonetheless
    just as annoying). I don't recall how to disable them (they are now
    disabled by default in Windows but could be re-enabled). They use the
    Messenger service if memory serves me correctly.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, May 16, 2005