Parent/Child Relationship

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Bob Day, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Bob Day

    Bob Day Guest

    Using VS 2003, VB.NET, sql msde...

    This is really a question about a winform datagridcontrol (if there is a
    better newsgroup for these winform datagridcontrol questions, let me know).

    A parent/child relationship exists. When you click the + next to the parent
    row, the relationship name "Display Details" appears. You then click that,
    and everything previously FILLed to the child DataSet table displays. All
    works as expected.

    My question are:
    1) Is there an event triggered by clicking on "Display Details" so you could
    dynamically FILL the child table at that point, instead of having to fill it
    prior it "Display Details" being click? If not an event, any other way to
    do it?

    2) Since the child table in the DataSet is held in memory, should I be
    worried about how large it might get? Can it get to large or does Windows
    XP/.NET still handle it appropriately regardless of its size? In my case,
    the child could get quite large, constantly being added to by the program
    automatically (which is the main reason I would like to load it when needed
    via #1 above).

    Thanks!

    Bob Day

    Bob Day, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Hi Bob,

    Thank you for posting to the MSDN newsgroups.

    Since this issue is regarding the Winform DataGrid control, a better
    newsgroup for it is the microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms
    group or the microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms.controls group.
    The microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol group is used
    for the ASP.NET DataGrid Web control. Thank you for your understanding.

    Best regards,

    Jacob Yang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    Get Secure! ┬ĘC www.microsoft.com/security