Parse error: "could not load type"

Mike S

I'm hoping someone can explain the following.

I have installed Visual Studio 2003. Setup several web application
projects, compliled and ran them with no problem. All of this was
accomplished with my local server. The default or root directory for
my local IIS server is my "C:\" drive. (c:\inetpub\wwwroot)

Now I would like to change my root or default directory for my local
IIS server to be a network drive (x:\inputpub\wwwroot). (This will
gaurantee me daily backups). After changing the directory property
for my local IIS server (and running IISRESET) I created a new Visual
Studio web application just like before, no problem. I put a single
line of static text on the form and then "built" the solution, just
like before. However, when I try to view the application in my
browser I get the following error.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'testproject4.Global'.

I don't understand why pointing the directory to a network drive would
cause the application to act differently. I have full rights to the
network drive. I can create, modify and delete files in that
directory.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike S

Thanks for you response.

The application is a web application consisting of a single aspx page
with 1 line of static text.

I'm not sure I understand your theory. Would this still hold true for
a web application? What specifically should I be checking for in
terms of security settings? Recall, I have full rights to the network
shared drive that I am refering to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike S

Mike S

John,

THANK YOU !!! Thanks for working through this problem with me. I
appreciate it.

Your suggestions and recommendation solved the problem. I ran the
configuration utility that you mentioned and changed the security
level of the "local intranet zone" to "full access". (Based on my
environment, this level is acceptable.)

For others who may want to know, the steps I went through were:

1) run ".NET Framework Configuration Utility" (under programs->admin
tools)
2) select "Runtime Security Policy" (left side of dialog)
3) select "Adjust Zone Security" (right side of dialog)
4) select "Local Intranet Zone"
5) adjust mode to "Full Access" (for me this was appropriate)

After making these changes I was able to run the app from a network
share. I am also able to step through and debug the application as
well.

NOTE: The one thing that I noticed was that if I changed the security
for a specific assembly (by name) those changes were lost when I
rebuilt the solution. So my recommendation would be to change the
settings at a higher level than a specific assembly, unless it is your
final build.

Thanks again John for all your help.

Mike S