Parse error message - repeat under managed account

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Roland Hall, Apr 9, 2005.

  1. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    Since I'm not getting any response from the community, I'm reposting this
    under my managed account.

    I've turned my web.config friendly error messages off and it may be easier
    to view what I'm experiencing than try to translate it.

    Here's the error:

    Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb"
    Inherits="netfraud.us.Global" %>

    Here's the line in the global.asax:

    <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="netfraud.us.Global" %>

    It was much worse but I am at this point now. I had Access forbidden and
    Access Denied. FPSE 2K2 and I went round and round.

    I have a subdomain: forums.netfraud.us which, during my battle with FPSE,
    was down. It removed, or I told it to remove my RX (script only) settings
    for the site. It now works again. The subdomain is actually
    \webroot\forums. I don't know why I'm have such a mental block with .NET
    and VS.2K3. Perhaps it is all the years of VS 6 and Classic ASP. Any
    pointers to some reference for basic understanding and step through configs
    would also be helpful. All references I have found are complicated configs.
    They're not too technical, they just don't apply and the MSFT articles don't
    seem to have much in them or it's How-To, but not What-To-Do when How-To
    fails.
    Ex. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297954&sd=tech

    TIA...

    Roland
    Roland Hall, Apr 9, 2005

  2. Roland Hall

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Please post the *exact* error message that you are seeing.

    Thanks

    --
    Blog: www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/
    Web: www.adopenstatic.com

    :
    : I've turned my web.config friendly error messages off and it may be easier
    : to view what I'm experiencing than try to translate it.
    :
    : Here's the error:
    :
    : Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb"
    : Inherits="netfraud.us.Global" %>
    :
    : Here's the line in the global.asax:
    :
    : <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="netfraud.us.Global"
    %>
    :
    Ken Schaefer, Apr 9, 2005

  3. 1.
    Have you compiled your application?

    That is typical when the project hasn't
    been recompiled, after a coding change.

    Try rebuilding your solution.

    2.
    Open up your global.asax.vb file (the code-behind file for the global.asax
    file)
    and make sure its namespace is actually "netfraud.us" and that the
    classname is actually "Global".

    If not, change the Inherits line accordingly.

    Btw, you could have spared yourself some hassle
    if you had Googled for your problem.

    http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

    Going to the "Advanced Search" Google page
    and doing an *exact phrase* search for

    <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="

    turns up about 650 references to the same problem.

    The first few have the same recommendations I just posted
    regarding how to fix this well-known problem.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 9, 2005
  4. Hi Roland,

    I can only see the line that is the problem, but i cannot find any
    description of what is actually wrong. This is usually written above this
    text line.

    Could you please include this?

    Thanks!

    --
    Regards,
    Kristofer Gafvert

    Kristofer Gafvert, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Ken Schaefer" <> wrote in message
    : Please post the *exact* error message that you are seeing.

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Parser Error

    Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'netfraud.us.Global'.

    Source Error:

    Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb"
    Inherits="netfraud.us.Global" %>

    Source File: D:\websites\netfraud\global.asax Line: 1

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2032
    Roland Hall, Apr 16, 2005
  6. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Juan T. Llibre" wrote in message

    I'm hating MSFT today. Everything I just wrote disappeared.

    : 1.
    : Have you compiled your application?

    I don't know s**t about VS.NET. It's a nightmare compared to VS6, at least
    to me. Nothing is intuitive and help is crap. Actually it's worse than
    crap but crap says enough.

    : That is typical when the project hasn't
    : been recompiled, after a coding change.
    :
    : Try rebuilding your solution.

    I've tried that. I get an error.

    It's my default page. How complex could it be. It refers to a
    default.aspx.vb file which I do not see in solution explorer. I really
    detest when something is not intuitive and it's overly complex for no
    reason. It's Word Not-So Perfect all over again.

    : 2.
    : Open up your global.asax.vb file (the code-behind file for the global.asax
    : file)
    : and make sure its namespace is actually "netfraud.us" and that the
    : classname is actually "Global".

    I don't have one of those either but when I open the global.asax it doesn't
    show me that. It shows me global.asax.vb. It opens it in Design view. It
    lists some text in the middle that I cannot copy so I will have to retype
    it. Thank you MSFT for making just one more element more difficult than it
    has to be since you probably have to write extra code to keep it from being
    hightlighted and copied.

    "To add components to your class, drag them from Server Explorer or Toolbox
    and use the Properties window to set their properties. To create methods
    and events for your class, click here to switch to code view."

    I click to switch to code view but I see nothing referring to namespace.

    Imports System.Web

    Imports System.Web.SessionState

    Public Class Global

    Inherits System.Web.HttpApplication

    #Region " Component Designer Generated Code "

    Public Sub New()

    MyBase.New()

    'This call is required by the Component Designer.

    InitializeComponent()

    'Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call

    End Sub

    'Required by the Component Designer

    Private components As System.ComponentModel.IContainer

    'NOTE: The following procedure is required by the Component Designer

    'It can be modified using the Component Designer.

    <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> Private Sub InitializeComponent()

    components = New System.ComponentModel.Container()

    End Sub

    #End Region

    Sub Application_Start(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

    ' Fires when the application is started

    End Sub

    Sub Session_Start(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

    ' Fires when the session is started

    End Sub

    Sub Application_BeginRequest(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

    ' Fires at the beginning of each request

    End Sub

    Sub Application_AuthenticateRequest(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    EventArgs)

    ' Fires upon attempting to authenticate the use

    End Sub

    Sub Application_Error(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

    ' Fires when an error occurs

    End Sub

    Sub Session_End(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

    ' Fires when the session ends

    End Sub

    Sub Application_End(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

    ' Fires when the application ends

    End Sub

    End Class

    As you can see, not a lot there.

    : If not, change the Inherits line accordingly.
    :
    : Btw, you could have spared yourself some hassle
    : if you had Googled for your problem.

    However helpful that sounds I did google, for days.

    :
    : http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
    :
    : Going to the "Advanced Search" Google page
    : and doing an *exact phrase* search for
    :
    : <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="
    :
    : turns up about 650 references to the same problem.
    :
    : The first few have the same recommendations I just posted
    : regarding how to fix this well-known problem.

    Well, I must be missing it because I don't see a fix in your answer. Please
    point out my obvious oversight.

    I also don't have a netfraud.us.Global, if that is supposed to be a
    filename.

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, Apr 16, 2005
  7. Hey, Roland, do you want to try an experiment ?

    Delete the code-behind global.asax file,
    and replace it with this global.asax file :

    global.asax:
    ========
    <script language="VB" runat="Server">
    Sub Application_OnStart(Sender as Object, E as EventArgs)
    End Sub

    Sub Application_OnEnd(Sender as Object, E as EventArgs)
    End Sub

    Sub Session_OnStart(Sender as Object, E as EventArgs)
    End Sub

    Sub Session_OnEnd(Sender as Object, E as EventArgs)
    End Sub

    Sub Application_AuthenticateRequest(ByVal sender as Object, ByVal e as
    EventArgs)
    End Sub

    Sub Application_Error(ByVal sender as Object, ByVal e as EventArgs)
    End Sub
    </script>
    =======

    Try that, compile and run your application again,
    and let me know how you do.

    Backup (copy) your current global.asax and global.asax.vb files,
    so you can restore them, if you want to go back to them.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 16, 2005
  8. Roland Hall

    : ========
    : =======
    :
    : Try that, compile and run your application again,
    : and let me know how you do.
    :
    : Backup (copy) your current global.asax and global.asax.vb files,
    : so you can restore them, if you want to go back to them.

    I'll try anything. (O:=

    I can go to Windows Explorer and open my global.asax and it opens in VS.NET,
    although I am unable to do it by calling the file from within VS.NET. I
    must be VS.NET stupid.

    This is all that is in it.
    <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="netfraud.us.Global" %>

    And, that's my error that lists.

    I can't backup the files. It says they're in use. I stopped the web site
    but something else must have that file in use. Any ideas?

    Roland Hall, Apr 16, 2005
  9. You can do two things at this point.

    1. Delete the global.* files and substitute a new, non-code-behind
    global.asax with the content I sent in my previous message.

    or...

    2. Change
    <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="netfraud.us.Global" %>

    So it reads :
    <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="Global" %>

    Whichever way you want to handle that should work.

    Just recompile the app after you make the changes.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 16, 2005
  10. Roland Hall

    : You can do two things at this point.
    :
    : 1. Delete the global.* files and substitute a new, non-code-behind
    : global.asax with the content I sent in my previous message.
    :
    : or...
    :
    : 2. Change
    : <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="netfraud.us.Global"
    %>
    :
    : So it reads :
    : <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="Global" %>
    :
    : Whichever way you want to handle that should work.
    :
    : Just recompile the app after you make the changes.

    since redoing the server extensions, I've found other issues.

    I had this error:
    Cannot execute a program. "...vbc.exe"

    I gave the _web applications group RX to vbc.exe, csc.exe and cvtres.exe. I
    think IIS Lockdown was blocking them.

    I now have this error:

    Server Error in '/' Application.
    ----

    Compilation Error
    to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
    and modify your source code appropriately.

    Compiler Error Message: BC30182: Type expected.

    Source Error:

    Line 12: End Sub
    Line 13:
    Line 14: Sub Application_AuthenticateRequest(ByVal sender as Object, ByVal e
    as
    Line 15: EventArgs)
    Line 16: End Sub

    Source File: D:\websites\netfraud\global.asax Line: 14

    I think the line wrap from news got me here...

    I fixed that and ran a rebuild and it's working.
    I owe ya' one.

    Roland Hall, Apr 16, 2005
  11. re:
    > I fixed that and ran a rebuild and it's working.

    Glad to know that!

    re:
    > I owe ya' one.

    I'm happy you can work with ASP.NET now.
    That's the only "payment" I need. :)

    Have fun writing ASP.NET web apps !

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 16, 2005
  12. Roland Hall

    : re:
    : > I fixed that and ran a rebuild and it's working.
    :
    : Glad to know that!
    :
    : re:
    : > I owe ya' one.
    :
    : I'm happy you can work with ASP.NET now.
    : That's the only "payment" I need. :)

    Well, at least it's possible. I'm still a whiney little school girl when it
    comes to VS.NET. (O:= I need to do a lot more reading.

    : Have fun writing ASP.NET web apps !

    Thanks Juan.

    Roland Hall, Apr 19, 2005