Parse record, convert to session variables

Brandon

Greetings,

I have a database with records that contain data like the following:

"vendor" - "phone number" - "city", "state" "problem."

For example:
xyzcompany - 800-123-4567 - new york, ny tp.

The line above is one record, the company names will differ (but are
limited to a dozen), the format of the number will always be with a dash
seperating the area code and number, the city and state will be in
place, and the problem will be a two letter code followed by a period.

I need to be able to parse that record into seperate session variables
such as Session("vendor"), Session("area_code"), Session("number"), and
on with the city, state, and problem.

What is the best method to use in VBScript/ASP to break this record down
into pieces?

I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
Brandon

Alan Howard

You say the data below is a record - assuming that you are still able to
address the individual fields, use something like:

For Each objField In objRS.Fields

Session (CStr(objField.Name)) = CStr(objField.Value)

Next

- or are you asking how to split a single string??

Dave Anderson

Alan said:
For Each objField In objRS.Fields

Session (CStr(objField.Name)) = CStr(objField.Value)

Next

CStr is unnecessary with [Name]...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdproname.asp

....and possibly unwanted with [Value], depending on the data type.

--
Dave Anderson

Mark Schupp

If your format and delimiters are fixed (unchanging) then

a1 = split( strRecord, ",")
a2 = split( a1(0), "-")
a3 = split( a1(1), " ")

vendor = a2(0)
areacode = a2(1)
phonenum = a2(2) & "-" a2(3)
city = a2(4)
state = a3(0)
prob = a3(1)

Alan Howard

CStr is unnecessary with [Name]...
...and possibly unwanted with [Value], depending on the data type.

Habit - easier than second-guessing variant sub-types.

Alan

Dave Anderson said:
Alan said:
For Each objField In objRS.Fields

Session (CStr(objField.Name)) = CStr(objField.Value)

Next

CStr is unnecessary with [Name]...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdproname.asp

...and possibly unwanted with [Value], depending on the data type.

--
Dave Anderson

Brandon

Thanks, that did the trick!

Brandon

If your format and delimiters are fixed (unchanging) then

a1 = split( strRecord, ",")
a2 = split( a1(0), "-")
a3 = split( a1(1), " ")

vendor = a2(0)