Parse / write XML without changing character encoding

helzer

I need to change some things inside an XML document, so I'm reading it
with REXML, changing the attributes I need and writing back.

In the process I see that the character encoding changes all over.

1) UTF-8 encoded characters get decoded.
2) HTML escape are un-escaped (like & becoming &, > becoming
<).

Is there a way to tell REXML not to do this? Just leave everything
inside the texts as it was?

Thanks,
Helzer