Parser Error Message: The entry 'ConnString1' has already been add

Guest

I am trying to deploy two copies of an application to a single website using
two virtual directories: "2007" (Production) and "Demo". Each of these
applications should point at a different DB, so my thought was to leave
everything the same, make two copies of the application files, and just edit
the Web.Config file in each copy of the application appropriately.

When I try to bring up the Demo site however, I get the following error.

"Configuration Error

Parser Error Message: The entry 'ConnString1' has already been added."

I have tripple checked the Conn string, and it is correct. Moreover, I've
even tried editing and testing the Web.Config for "Demo" in VS2005 before
redeploying the app with the same results.

Two notes that may be relevant:
1. I "precompiled" the code for both copies of the application before
deploying it to the web server
2. I had previously deployed a copy of the application to the root of the
website I'm deploying to. I have since made sure that the Home Directory of
the website is Empty before creating the virtual directories for each copy of
the application, and I've stopped and restarted the site after doing this.
Still no resolution.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Frohlich

David R. Longnecker

Chris-

Have you checked to see that both applications are:

1) Setup as applications and not just directories (assuming so from your
post),
2) Each of these are set to different application pools in IIS?

-dl

Guest

I will re-do the application pools in a second.

As for the directory/application thing, I see a gear icon. How else can I
verify, and what are the implications?

David R. Longnecker

The gear should be fine; if you go into the properties of the virtual directory,
on the Virtual Directory tab.

You'll see:

Application name:
Application pool:

I've honestly never attempted to run both with the same information, but
could see where the wires might cross. I'd recommend having different application
names and separate application pools... but I'm probably a bit more cautious
than most with separating memory for web apps.

Also, on perhaps a seperate note, if you're using a AppSettings key to store
your session token name, make sure that's different between the two as well.

I'll try it out and see if I can reproduce your error and post back.

-dl

David R. Longnecker

I tried with two ASP.NET 2.0 applications in the same application pool and
the same name and couldn't get anything to crash out. Scratch that idea...
heh.

Okay, back to basics.

1. You said the Demo site is failing... is the production site failing or
working successfully?
2. Have you stopped IIS, cleared out the Temporary ASP.NET Files (%SYSTEMROOT%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\[version]\Temporary
Asp.Net Files)?
3. Does the version of .NET match on both sites? i.e.: If you're using 2.0.50727,
is it set to that for both sites?

Thanks!

-dl