Parsing a php file with html extension

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kayodeok, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Would someone mind clarifying a few points for me:

    My webpages in my sig all have the html extension however, I have
    one page which should be parsed as php (not yet uploaded).

    I do not want to add the php extension preferring to keep the html
    extension.

    My research on this is quite conflicting:

    some Websites such as http://www.spiderpro.com/bu/buphph001.html
    asks me to include AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html in my
    ..htacess file and put it in every directory I need it for.

    Others such as http://www.zend.com/manual/security.hiding.php asks
    me to include just AddType application/x-httpd-php .html in my
    ..htacess file but mentions that I would suffer a performance hit on
    my pages.

    I am unable to locate the definitive source for these instructions.

    Does anyone know where I can locate the source url? Or better
    still, explain the difference between

    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html

    and

    AddType application/x-httpd-php .html

    Thanks

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
    kayodeok, Nov 23, 2003

  2. kayodeok

    Bob Long Guest

    In news:Xns943C6CF40A9D4news4kayode@130.133.1.4,
    kayodeok <> typed:
    > Would someone mind clarifying a few points for me:
    >
    > My webpages in my sig all have the html extension however, I have
    > one page which should be parsed as php (not yet uploaded).
    >
    > I do not want to add the php extension preferring to keep the html
    > extension.
    >
    > My research on this is quite conflicting:
    >
    > some Websites such as http://www.spiderpro.com/bu/buphph001.html
    > asks me to include AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html in my
    > .htacess file and put it in every directory I need it for.
    >
    > Others such as http://www.zend.com/manual/security.hiding.php asks
    > me to include just AddType application/x-httpd-php .html in my
    > .htacess file but mentions that I would suffer a performance hit on
    > my pages.
    >
    > I am unable to locate the definitive source for these instructions.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can locate the source url? Or better
    > still, explain the difference between
    >
    > AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html
    >
    > and
    >
    > AddType application/x-httpd-php .html
    >
    > Thanks

    It's probably AddHander that you want:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addhandler
    Bob Long, Nov 23, 2003

  3. kayodeok

    Bob Long Guest

    In news:Xns943C6CF40A9D4news4kayode@130.133.1.4,
    kayodeok <> typed:
    > Would someone mind clarifying a few points for me:
    >
    > My webpages in my sig all have the html extension however, I have
    > one page which should be parsed as php (not yet uploaded).
    >
    > I do not want to add the php extension preferring to keep the html
    > extension.
    >
    > My research on this is quite conflicting:
    >
    > some Websites such as http://www.spiderpro.com/bu/buphph001.html
    > asks me to include AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html in my
    > .htacess file and put it in every directory I need it for.
    >
    > Others such as http://www.zend.com/manual/security.hiding.php asks
    > me to include just AddType application/x-httpd-php .html in my
    > .htacess file but mentions that I would suffer a performance hit on
    > my pages.
    >
    > I am unable to locate the definitive source for these instructions.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can locate the source url? Or better
    > still, explain the difference between
    >
    > AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html
    >
    > and
    >
    > AddType application/x-httpd-php .html

    The extensions on the end specify which are used. You can have more than
    one.
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addtype

    Bob Long
    (If my other message appears - even though I cancelled it, ignore it. It's
    wrong and was sent prematurely.)
    Bob Long, Nov 23, 2003
  4. kayodeok wrote:

    > AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html
    > AddType application/x-httpd-php .html

    Assuming the server is already set up to parse ".php" files as PHP, then
    both are exactly equivalent.

    > but mentions that I would suffer a performance hit on
    > my pages.

    This is because it instructs Apache to parse *all* files with the
    extension ".html" as PHP. If you just need the one, then you could use
    something like:

    <Files myscript.html>
    ForceType application/x-httpd-php
    </Files>

    There is still a *tiny* performance hit -- this is because *any*
    ".htaccess" files need to be parsed for each and every request from the
    containing directory or any of its subdirectories.

    To get around that, you may find it useful to do this configuration in the
    main httpd.conf file, assuming you have permission.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 23, 2003
  5. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    "Bob Long" <> wrote in

    >> I am unable to locate the definitive source for these
    >> instructions.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know where I can locate the source url? Or better
    >> still, explain the difference between
    >>
    >> AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html
    >>
    >> and
    >>
    >> AddType application/x-httpd-php .html

    > The extensions on the end specify which are used. You can have
    > more than one.
    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addtype

    Thanks
    Based on the source document, I was able to construct more accurate
    searches to research the document.

    Previously, I was searching for "AddType application/x-httpd-php"
    which did not return any file from apache.org and I was a bit too
    stressed to notice that application/x-httpd-php is a mime type.

    Regards

    kayodeok, Nov 23, 2003
  6. kayodeok <> writes:

    > "Bob Long" <> wrote:

    >> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addtype

    > Previously, I was searching for "AddType application/x-httpd-php"
    > which did not return any file from apache.org

    Incidentally, that's a good thing, because it's a popular but fatal
    misconfiguration of the server; leave AddType alone and locate the
    AddHandler directive on the same page of the documentation.

    For more info, consult your old friend:

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=406+http+accept+addtype>

    --
    | ) Eric Bednarz
    -(
    Eric B. Bednarz, Nov 23, 2003
  7. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote in

    > kayodeok wrote:
    >
    >> AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .html
    >> AddType application/x-httpd-php .html

    > Assuming the server is already set up to parse ".php" files as
    > PHP, then both are exactly equivalent.
    >
    >> but mentions that I would suffer a performance hit on
    >> my pages.

    > This is because it instructs Apache to parse *all* files with
    > the extension ".html" as PHP. If you just need the one, then you
    > could use something like:
    >
    > <Files myscript.html>
    > ForceType application/x-httpd-php
    > </Files>
    >
    > There is still a *tiny* performance hit -- this is because *any*
    > ".htaccess" files need to be parsed for each and every request
    > from the containing directory or any of its subdirectories.

    Thanks, I am considering changing some stuff around in my site and
    moving the php files (currently there is only one file) to a new
    directory since they will all have the same structure. I am still
    working out the details in my head.

    kayodeok, Nov 23, 2003
  8. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Eric B. Bednarz <> wrote in

    > kayodeok <> writes:
    >
    >> "Bob Long" <> wrote:

    >>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addtype

    >> Previously, I was searching for "AddType
    >> application/x-httpd-php" which did not return any file from
    >> apache.org

    > Incidentally, that's a good thing, because it's a popular but
    > fatal misconfiguration of the server; leave AddType alone and
    > locate the AddHandler directive on the same page of the
    > documentation.
    >
    > For more info, consult your old friend:
    >
    > <http://www.google.com/search?q=406+http+accept+addtype>

    Thanks, I will look into the AddHandler directive; actually I think
    I ought to fully investigate these directives before playing around
    with them...thanks for the pointer.

    kayodeok, Nov 23, 2003
  9. kayodeok

    David Graham Guest

    > <Files myscript.html>
    > ForceType application/x-httpd-php
    > </Files>
    >
    > There is still a *tiny* performance hit -- this is because *any*
    > ".htaccess" files need to be parsed for each and every request from the
    > containing directory or any of its subdirectories.

    Hi Toby
    I am thinking of using this because I just want my index page to be parsed
    as php. I want the .html extension to remain on the index page because that
    is what people are used to typing etc. so, to make sure I understand you,
    what I do is put:

    <Files index.html>
    ForceType application/x-httpd-php
    </Files>

    exactly as above on 3 seperate lines in my .htaccess file, I assume it is
    necessary for the .htaccess file to be in the same directory as the index
    page. The extra hit due to the server reading this small text file would not
    be that significant - or am i mistaken?

    Alternative solution:
    "To get around that, you may find it useful to do this configuration in the
    main httpd.conf file, assuming you have permission."

    I think I would mess things up good if I try your suggestion of altering the
    httpd.conf file

    Loads of questions follow (understand if you think a person with limited
    knowledge would never be able to do this)

    1. I would like to know how to get at this file
    2. I have a remote host ISP. How do I know if I have permission to alter it?
    3. Would I alter it by adding the 3 lines above?

    thanks
    David
    David Graham, Nov 24, 2003
  10. David Graham wrote:
    > I am thinking of using this because I just want my index page to be parsed
    > as php. I want the .html extension to remain on the index page because that
    > is what people are used to typing etc. so, to make sure I understand you,
    > what I do is put:
    >
    > <Files index.html>
    > ForceType application/x-httpd-php
    > </Files>
    >
    > exactly as above on 3 seperate lines in my .htaccess file

    Yes, that looks about right. For example, this PHP file:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/testfile.html

    The source code is here:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/testfile.txt

    > I assume it is
    > necessary for the .htaccess file to be in the same directory as the index
    > page.

    Not really, but it is probably easiest if it is. For example, mine is here:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/.htaccess

    Although you can't see it (permission denied) so here is a copy:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/htaccess.txt

    However, if I wanted to put it here:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/.htaccess

    that would be OK! But I'd have to change the first line to:

    <Files "sethandler/testfile.html">

    I think so anyway. I've not tried it. Best to be safe and stick with the
    same directory.

    > The extra hit due to the server reading this small text file would not
    > be that significant - or am i mistaken?

    It is small, but as I say, the .htaccess file has to be processed for each
    request, not only to (in my example) "testfile.html" but to any file in
    the whole "sethandler/" directory, and any subdirectories that
    "sethandler/" had.

    > 1. I would like to know how to get at this file

    It's usually kept somewhere in "/etc/httpd/conf/" on Linux and UNIX
    servers.

    > 2. I have a remote host ISP. How do I know if I have permission to
    > alter it?

    By asking Tech support. If you have a cheap host or a shared server, you
    probably won't be able to edit it. If you're on a dedicated host, you
    might be able to. If you're on a shared host but you're paying them a lot
    of money, they might make the changes for you so long as they are
    reasonable and you ask nicely.

    > 3. Would I alter it by adding the 3 lines above?

    More or less, but it would probably have to be inside a bigger <Directory>
    block:

    <Directory "/path/to/the/directory/">
    <Files index.html>
    ForceType application/x-httpd-php
    </Files>
    </Directory>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 24, 2003
  11. Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

    > kayodeok <> writes:
    >
    >> Previously, I was searching for "AddType application/x-httpd-php"
    >> which did not return any file from apache.org

    > Incidentally, that's a good thing, because it's a popular but fatal
    > misconfiguration of the server

    No it is not, you silly man!

    PHP file source:
    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/testfile.txt
    Copy of .htaccess:
    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/htaccess.txt
    Result:
    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/testfile.html

    "AddType application/x-httpd-php .html" works perfectly well (if a little
    inefficiently).

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 24, 2003
  12. Toby A Inkster <> writes:

    > Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

    > "AddType application/x-httpd-php .html" works perfectly well (if a little
    > inefficiently).

    The mailto protocol also 'works' perfectly well as a form handler.
    That's why people keep using it.

    You are depending on an accept header that either requests
    application/x-httpd-php explicitly or has a */* fallback with a quality
    value greater than zilch, not even speaking of problems related to
    content negotiation.

    Bednarz' /n/th law applies:

    If you can accomplish a task with the same effort either the right way
    and have it working all the time or the wrong way and have it working at
    least for yourself, the explicit choice for the web must obviously
    always be the latter.

    And *now* you are allowed to call me silly, ole chap. :)

    --
    | ) Eric Bednarz
    -(
    Eric B. Bednarz, Nov 24, 2003
  13. kayodeok

    David Graham Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > David Graham wrote:
    > > I am thinking of using this because I just want my index page to be

    parsed
    > > as php. I want the .html extension to remain on the index page because

    that
    > > is what people are used to typing etc. so, to make sure I understand

    you,
    > > what I do is put:
    > >
    > > <Files index.html>
    > > ForceType application/x-httpd-php
    > > </Files>
    > >
    > > exactly as above on 3 seperate lines in my .htaccess file

    > Yes, that looks about right. For example, this PHP file:
    >
    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/testfile.html
    >
    > The source code is here:
    >
    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/testfile.txt
    >
    > > I assume it is
    > > necessary for the .htaccess file to be in the same directory as the

    > > page.

    > Not really, but it is probably easiest if it is. For example, mine is

    here:

    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/.htaccess
    >
    > Although you can't see it (permission denied) so here is a copy:
    >
    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/sethandler/htaccess.txt
    >
    > However, if I wanted to put it here:
    >
    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/.htaccess
    >
    > that would be OK! But I'd have to change the first line to:
    >
    > <Files "sethandler/testfile.html">
    >
    > I think so anyway. I've not tried it. Best to be safe and stick with the
    > same directory.
    >
    > > The extra hit due to the server reading this small text file would not
    > > be that significant - or am i mistaken?

    > It is small, but as I say, the .htaccess file has to be processed for each
    > request, not only to (in my example) "testfile.html" but to any file in
    > the whole "sethandler/" directory, and any subdirectories that
    > "sethandler/" had.
    >
    > > 1. I would like to know how to get at this file

    > It's usually kept somewhere in "/etc/httpd/conf/" on Linux and UNIX
    > servers.
    >
    > > 2. I have a remote host ISP. How do I know if I have permission to
    > > alter it?

    > By asking Tech support. If you have a cheap host or a shared server, you
    > probably won't be able to edit it. If you're on a dedicated host, you
    > might be able to. If you're on a shared host but you're paying them a lot
    > of money, they might make the changes for you so long as they are
    > reasonable and you ask nicely.
    >
    > > 3. Would I alter it by adding the 3 lines above?

    > More or less, but it would probably have to be inside a bigger <Directory>
    > block:
    >
    > <Directory "/path/to/the/directory/">
    > <Files index.html>
    > ForceType application/x-httpd-php
    > </Files>
    > </Directory>
    >
    > --
    > Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    > Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

    Thanks Toby - I understand most of that reply - not too sure what you mean
    by bigger <Directory> block but I don't think I will be tinkering with
    httpd.conf file anyway.
    David
    David Graham, Nov 24, 2003
  14. Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster <> writes:
    >
    >> "AddType application/x-httpd-php .html" works perfectly well

    > You are depending on an accept header that either requests
    > application/x-httpd-php explicitly or has a */* fallback with a quality
    > value greater than zilch

    But no I'm not.

    ============================== <quote> ==============================
    [tai@ophelia (pts/1) ~]$ telnet localhost 80
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    GET /tobyink/scratch/sethandler/testfile.html HTTP/1.1
    Host: localhost
    Accept: text/html

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:45:57 GMT
    Server: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.47

    working!

    Connection closed by foreign host.
    ============================== </quote> =============================

    You see? An Accept value exactly equal to "text/html". No fall backs,
    nada, zilch.

    > And *now* you are allowed to call me silly, ole chap. :)

    It seems cruel.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 24, 2003
  15. Eric B. Bednarz wrote:
    > You are depending on an accept header that either requests
    > application/x-httpd-php explicitly or has a */* fallback with a quality
    > value greater than zilch, not even speaking of problems related to
    > content negotiation.

    Have you actually tested that? I have a file in my home directory named
    foo.oddext with this in it:

    <?php
    header('Content-Type: text/plain');
    echo "Hello world.\n";
    ?>

    And a .htaccess with this in it:

    AddType application/x-httpd-php .oddext

    So why does this do what it does?

    leif@leif:~$ telnet localhost 8080
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to leif.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    GET /~leif/foo.oddext HTTP/1.1
    Host: localhost
    Accept: text/plain
    Connection: close

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 02:16:31 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.3

    Hello world.

    0

    Connection closed by foreign host.
    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 25, 2003
  16. Toby A Inkster <> writes:

    > Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

    >> You are depending on an accept header that either requests
    >> application/x-httpd-php explicitly or has a */* fallback with a quality
    >> value greater than zilch

    > But no I'm not.

    > [tai@ophelia (pts/1) ~]$ telnet localhost 80

    [...]
    > Accept: text/html
    >
    > HTTP/1.1 200 OK

    [...]

    > You see?

    Yes, I see that I should have made my statement a little more verbose.
    Add

    ... combined with a server(configuration) that returns content to the
    client that the latter didn't advertise to be acceptable.

    to the above.

    > An Accept value exactly equal to "text/html". No fall backs,
    > nada, zilch.

    Sigh.

    If you obmit the header value from the PHP script, you'll probably get
    status 200 as well then, this time delivered as content-type
    application/x-httpd-php. Try it. It may work for you.

    You declare files with the extension html to be of the *type*
    (*handler*). Why would you do that when in fact you wish to _deliver_
    plain html to the client? The file will only be given to the handler
    (and *then* return the desired output type) *if* the server decides that
    this is an appropriate course of action in the first place (what is
    appropriate under which circumstances is more than arguable; but
    preferably not with me :).

    To close the case, have a simple practical example:

    Put bar.html and bar.xhtml in the directory foo.

    Have MultiViews on and put

    AddType application/x-httpd-php .html
    AddType application/xhtml+xml .xhtml

    in your configuration file.

    Now visit /foo/bar with Mozilla and Opera 7.2.

    Note what happens:

    Mozilla gets xhtml; not surprising since it assigns the highest quality
    value to that mime type.

    Opera... gets xhtml as well. Not surprising either. It favours
    text/html over application/xhtml+xml (q=0.9), but
    application/x-httpd-php is catched all down the bottom of the ladder
    with */*;q=0.1.

    And that's how it is supposed to be. Because the server has been told
    that bar.html *is* of a type with the lowest priority that can be
    expected in the accept header of a web user agent, and apache cannot
    know what the handler is supposed to do with it.

    You must certainly continue to do things your way, you seem to do well
    with it; but everybody else -- remembering that this is no private chat
    -- should consider to

    add *types* with the AddType directive
    add *handlers* with the AddHandler directive

    when configuring the server.

    Because all of this anti-mnemonic geek jargon is not human readable for
    the boy next door like me, that's why I write it down on the back of my
    hands and never take a shower. :)

    Cheers, Eric

    --
    | ) Eric Bednarz
    -(
    Eric B. Bednarz, Nov 25, 2003
  17. Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

    > If you obmit the header value from the PHP script, you'll probably get
    > status 200 as well then, this time delivered as content-type
    > application/x-httpd-php. Try it. It may work for you.

    The script doesn't have a "header value". The entire script consists of:

    ================== <quote> ==================
    <?php
    echo "working!\n";
    ?>
    ================== </quote> =================

    as I have shown before.

    The only *possible* problems can arise when the following conditions are
    *all* met:

    * the server is also set to use MultiViews (mine is for some
    directories -- including this one);

    * the browser requests the file without any extension; and

    * the browser doesn't include */* or application/x-httpd-php in
    its Accept header (most include the former).

    Only when these three conditions are met do problems arise, and even then
    the problem is only minor -- they'll be asked which version of the
    document they want to view and only be given one option.

    However, I think we can rule out the first two prerequisites in the case
    of the OP -- he clearly doesn't have MultiViews enabled, or if he does,
    isn't making use of them for links -- otherwise he wouldn't care so much
    about giving a PHP file a ".html extension".

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 25, 2003
  18. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote in

    > However, I think we can rule out the first two prerequisites in
    > the case of the OP -- he clearly doesn't have MultiViews
    > enabled, or if he does, isn't making use of them for links --
    > otherwise he wouldn't care so much about giving a PHP file a
    > ".html extension".

    My thanks to Eric and Toby for discussing this issue at length. I
    have certainly learned a few tricks that should prove useful when I
    need them.

    This would be my first attempt at configuring the server either by
    ..htacess files or other means so I don't have Multi Views enabled
    though I did consider the option because I came across a post by Toby
    discussing this option when I was doing my research on Sunday.

    Regards

    kayodeok, Nov 26, 2003