Parsing a string into a datetime object

Mark.Petrovic

Good day.

Might someone comment on why %f is not accepted as a valid field
directive in:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
python2.5/_strptime.py", line 321, in strptime
(bad_directive, format))
ValueError: 'f' is a bad directive in format '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%f'

This is for Python 2.5.1 under OS X.

Thank you.

MRAB

Mark.Petrovic said:
> Good day.
>
> Might someone comment on why %f is not accepted as a valid field
> directive in:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
> python2.5/_strptime.py", line 321, in strptime
> (bad_directive, format))
> ValueError: 'f' is a bad directive in format '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%f'
>
> This is for Python 2.5.1 under OS X.
>
> Thank you.

I believe that Python simply uses the 'strptime' (or equivalent)
function in the underlying C library: if that doesn't accept %f then
neither does Python.

Hrvoje Niksic

Mark.Petrovic said:
Might someone comment on why %f is not accepted as a valid field
directive in:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
python2.5/_strptime.py", line 321, in strptime
(bad_directive, format))
ValueError: 'f' is a bad directive in format '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%f'

This is for Python 2.5.1 under OS X.

time.strptime is documented to use the same set of directives as
time.strftime, and
http://docs.python.org/library/time.html#time.strftime doesn't mention
a %f directive.

Mark.Petrovic

time.strptime is documented to use the same set of directives as
time.strftime, andhttp://docs.python.org/library/time.html#time.strftimedoesn't mention
a %f directive.

Thank you for the timely reply.

I guess I got mixed up by looking at the Python 2.6.1 docs, but used
the Python 2.5.1 interpreter:

http://docs.python.org/library/datetime.html

wherein datetime.html does show the availability of the %f directive
(if I'm reading all this correctly).