parsing dates in a string

student4life

Could someone show me the best way to parse the first occurrence of
dates (could be in different date formats, MM/dd/yy, yyyy/MM/dd, etc.)
in a string preferably without using regular expression? Thank you.

Arne Vajhøj

Could someone show me the best way to parse the first occurrence of
dates (could be in different date formats, MM/dd/yy, yyyy/MM/dd, etc.)
in a string preferably without using regular expression? Thank you.

DateFormat df = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy/MM/dd");
Date d = df.parse(s);

etc..

Note that if the format includes names instead of numbers, then it
is locale specific.

Arne

Stefan Ram

student4life said:
Could someone show me the best way to parse the first occurrence of
dates (could be in different date formats, MM/dd/yy, yyyy/MM/dd, etc.)
in a string preferably without using regular expression? Thank you.

Here is a test string for »yyyy-mm-dd«:

String Result should be

1241241-41051040-10-412010-10-1091 2010-10-10

John B. Matthews

student4life said:
Could someone show me the best way to parse the first occurrence of
dates (could be in different date formats, MM/dd/yy, yyyy/MM/dd, etc.)
in a string preferably without using regular expression? Thank you.

Armed with Lew's and Arne's helpful suggestions, here is a slightly more
elaborate example that might be informative:

<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/d9f7a770213
9b48f>

Degeneracy, in the sense of indistinguishability, may be a problem when
parsing the same string using very different date formats. You may need
to flag dates that appear to parse correctly with more than one format.

Tom Anderson

Could someone show me the best way to parse the first occurrence of
dates (could be in different date formats, MM/dd/yy, yyyy/MM/dd, etc.)
in a string preferably without using regular expression?

A regular expression is far and away the best way of doing this. Why don't
you want to use one?

tom

Arne Vajhøj

A regular expression is far and away the best way of doing this. Why
don't you want to use one?

If the position of the date is unknown, then regex is a very good
choice for finding candidates.

DateFormat.parse should still be used to verify, because regex
is not the right tool to discard February 30th etc..

Arne

Tom Anderson

If the position of the date is unknown, then regex is a very good
choice for finding candidates.

DateFormat.parse should still be used to verify, because regex
is not the right tool to discard February 30th etc..

I strongly agree with this.

I suppose a way you could do it without a regexp would be:

public Date findDateInString(String s) {
for (int i = 0; i < s.length(); ++i) {
Date d = DATE_FORMAT.parse(s.substring(i));
if (d != null) return d;
}
throw new IllegalArgumentException("no date found in string: " + s);
}

Anyone who does that needs a beating, though.

tom

Lew

Tom said:
I strongly agree with this.

I suppose a way you could do it without a regexp would be:

public Date findDateInString(String s) {
        for (int i = 0; i < s.length(); ++i) {
                Date d = DATE_FORMAT.parse(s.substring(i));
                if (d != null) return d;
        }
        throw new IllegalArgumentException("no date found in string: " + s);

}

Anyone who does that needs a beating, though.

To really earn that beating, use the ParsePosition forms of 'parse()'
in that loop:
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/text/
DateFormat.html#parse(java.lang.String, java.text.ParsePosition)>
et seq.

We still need to hear from the OP why they wish to avoid regexes.