Parsing Raw filter text data using XML

sreenivasan alakappan

Hello,
I am currently having an application that gets the filtered data
from the ticket register from a gas station.I use this as the input
stream and use JavaCC to parse this file.

For Eg, the filtered data will look like:

01/05/04 11:31
PUMP 7 REG
GALLONS 10.081
@ $1.499/GAL
FUEL $15.11

TOTAL $15.11
VISA $15.11
TL/NOTAX $15.11
TAX PD $0.00
RECEIPT NO. 1-0565

Currently, I am using JavaCC to write rules to say what is the order
of each line that I expect and so I form a JJtree for the parsed data
and use that in my java program to write the gallons of fuel, amount
and payment type into database.

But, I wanted to know if there is any other way of doing this. I am
planning to on using XML for the purpose of parsing. But, I don't have
any other clue. I would really apriciate any help in this direction.

Thanks,
Sreeni.