Parsing text to XML

Chris Dubea

This might seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the
answer.

I've got a table full of information that I want to get into an XML
format. I have a schema for the format and I can pretty much
manipulate the table however needs to get it into XML.

Is it possible to do this without writing code? If so, what tools
would I use?

Thanks
Chris

Daniel Parker

Chris Dubea said:
This might seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the
answer.

I've got a table full of information that I want to get into an XML
format. I have a schema for the format and I can pretty much
manipulate the table however needs to get it into XML.

Is it possible to do this without writing code? If so, what tools
would I use?
Have a look at the flat-to-XML examples in
http://servingxml.sourceforge.net/.

Regards,
Daniel Parker

Joe Kesselman

Is it possible to do this without writing code? If so, what tools
would I use?

SOMETHING has to read the existing data and massage it into the new
format. That something may be you, if you're willing to pound on it by
hand, in which case all you need is a text editor. Or, if it's currently
in a sufficiently simple format and is going into a sufficiently simple
format, a simple pattern-match-and-replace through something like sed
might suffice.

Or, of course, you could buy code rather than writing it -- there are a
number of tools out there for "transcoding" data from other formats
to/from XML -- but I presume that isn't what you have in mind.

Basically: The question as you've posed it is FAR too vague, and the
only possible answer is "maybe". If you can be more specific, maybe
someone can help you.

Chris Dubea

This might seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the
answer.

I've got a table full of information that I want to get into an XML
format. I have a schema for the format and I can pretty much
manipulate the table however needs to get it into XML.

Is it possible to do this without writing code? If so, what tools
would I use?

Thanks
Chris

Thanks to all who replied.