Parsing - YACC to java

Discussion in 'Java' started by exits funnel, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. exits funnel

    exits funnel Guest

    Hello,

    I've recently been tasked with writing a parser for MDX (roughly
    speaking, SQL for OLAP). One such parser has already been written
    within our organization and I was able to obtain the .y and .l files
    which were created for that project. However, my implementation
    language is Java so I can't use Bison/Flex directly. Still, I'd rather
    not have to construct the MDX grammar from scratch. I've found one
    piece of software, jb (http://www.cs.colorado.edu/serl/misc/jb.html)
    which converts a parser generated with Bison to java. However, it seems
    that this project is no longer being maintained and there is very little
    documentation: both of these issues make me a bit reluctant to commit to
    using it. So, with all that rambling out of the way, here are my questions:

    1) Does anyone here have any experience with jb?
    2) Can anyone recommend any alternative products for generating a java
    parser from a Yacc/Bison grammar?

    Thanks in advance!

    -exits

    exits funnel, Jul 31, 2003

  2. exits funnel

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 04:16:27 GMT, exits funnel
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >1) Does anyone here have any experience with jb?
    >2) Can anyone recommend any alternative products for generating a java
    >parser from a Yacc/Bison grammar?

    I have been collecting various parsing projects. Have a look at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/parser.html to see if there is anything
    there that can help. The most popular stuff seems to be JavaCC.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Thomas Weidenfeller, Jul 31, 2003
  4. exits funnel

    exits funnel Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 04:16:27 GMT, exits funnel
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >

    >>1) Does anyone here have any experience with jb?
    >>2) Can anyone recommend any alternative products for generating a java
    >>parser from a Yacc/Bison grammar?

    > I have been collecting various parsing projects. Have a look at
    > http://mindprod.com/jgloss/parser.html to see if there is anything
    > there that can help. The most popular stuff seems to be JavaCC.
    >
    > --
    > Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy, thanks for taking the time to reply; I'll check it out. By the
    way, I've used the Java Glossary often in the past; it's a great
    resouce, thanks for maintaining it.

    -exits

    exits funnel, Jul 31, 2003